By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

#3 - Super Metroid

The classic of classics. It doesn't have to be #1 on my list for me to tell you that everyone has to play this game. This isn't just a game, it's an experience. A beautiful form of art. There are no words to describe it.

Simply put, it's what every Metroid lives up to. The sense of being lost in space is real; the platforming and action mechanics are the best in history. The story is told through scripted sequences and/or areas of the game. No tutorials, you learn everything as you play. It's level design to its finest.

On the other hand, the OST is... special. I would say only a few tracks stand out as good by themselves. The rest fit more, but perfectly, as background music to add to the atmosphere, which by the way is at its best compared to every other Metroid game.

Collecting some upgrades also requires a lot more thought than you would ever imagine. In fact, one powerup is collected by not killing an alien. You just have to let it do its thing. It's genious. This whole game is fucking genious; god. If you haven't played it, go. Pirate it or something; just play it.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Now for my last 2 games, I have to give them an arbitrary number for the sake of the top, but they both share the top spot for me, for different reasons, so let's get to the first one.

Tales of Symphonia

I’ll keep it short, since I could go on and on about this game. I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH.

This is a game that I hold very close to my heart, it was my first Tales game and my first RPG with the usual deeper focus on the story and characters, because of that it left quite an impression on me, and after 10 years of playing this game, it still remains at the top for me when it comes to the genre.

Besides my sentimental attachment to the game, on its own is still really good, a solid and engaging storyline, that deals with many themes, like racism, dealing with responsibilities, burdens, justice, etc. I think is a game in which at least one part of it can resonate with somebody from life experiences similar to the themes of the game or just the ideals presented through the characters, as such this RPG’s central theme “RPG that resonates with you”.

One of the great aspects about the series as a whole is the character interaction, which adds that extra special touch to an already really solid cast; I find every character in this game quite likeable each with their arcs of development and I think is the most solid the series has had.

All this mixed with a memorable soundtrack and great cell shaded style and it made for one great experience for me.

Of course the gameplay is great too, the first pseudo 3D game in the series really added a nice layer of strategy by minding the position of your character in the field, something that would be refined later in the series, but it is still quite fun and solid to play, which I actually prefer at times (some basic skills like backsteps and recovery are locked behind level up walls which makes combat slower at the start in later games, but are in your basic moves in Symphonia for example).

Dungeon design is great as well, each with a unique puzzle or mechanic that makes them stand out and being memorable on their own (for better or for worse at times).

As a whole, Symphonia is a fantastic fantasy RPG with some nice twists here and there, even if predictable at times, they are well executed within the storytelling, great presentation and gameplay makes for one of my favorite experiences of all time. I have spent hundreds of hours on this game across 8 playthroughts, enjoying every bit of dialogue, story and interactions that this game offers every time.  I could spend all day talking about this game and never get tired, I just love it to death.

9 – Nemesis of the Roman Empire (Imperium II: La Conquista de Hispania)

Thanks to the great work of its Spanish publisher (FX Interactive), this game developed by Bulgarian Haemimont Games(famous for Tropico 3 and 4) was probably much more popular in Spain than anywhere else, so probably many people here has never heard about it. This game may seem like a simple RTS (you control one of four civilizations – Gauls, Roman, Punic or Iberian and have to destroy your enemies, but it has some innovations that made me love it.

First of all, the game gets rid of all the resource gathering and building construction of most RTS: you start with a city – with all its buildings - that automatically produces gold, and can conquer villages (that produce food) and fortress (with different uses) that you can’t destroy nor build. But this simplification is used in order to strengthen the strategic deepness of the game: food is needed to avoid attrition of your troops and the cities, so you have to create supply lines from your villages to your cities or fortress and bring food with your armies if you are raiding outside your territory, and the gold produced in a city (or fortress) can only be used on it, unless you move it physically to other place (and can be stole by the enemy). Simplification is used also in your army control: units can be assigned to a general (“hero”) and follow him, what simplifies a lot the control of big armies.

The game has other virtues: Both units and heroes earn experience with each battle, what makes them more powerful but also more valuable in case of loss, each one of the four civilizations has pretty different kind of units and technologies, what makes playing with each one different (and if you conquer another civilization city you can use its techs and units). The game also has an option to use magic and some kind of artifacts that can be used by heroes or other units, but I usually play with those options off, although if you enjoy an experience with some RPG flavor, you may like it. One of the best things in the game, though, is that it has a pretty good IA (with some exceptions, like being sometimes a bit incompetent sieging well defended fortress), at least in the higher difficulty, what make single player game very challenging: more than once the IA has been able to swing a battle I thought I had won, defending itself cleverly or with an unexpected attack.

8 – Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

This little puzzle-adventure is one of the most delightful games I’ve ever played, and my favorite game on WiiU. Its art style is gorgeous, improving the SM3DW engine thanks to its focus on restrained levels, making this game one of the cutest on current consoles, Toad and Toadette animations are also incredibly tender, contributing to make this game a really pleasing experience.

Talking about the game itself, the level design is top notch and invites to replay them until collecting all diamonds and fulfilling secondary missions. Also, levels are very varied, going from on-rail shooter to stealth sections, and surprise the player proposing a new mechanic.

Each year I have less time to play videogames, but when I play Captain Toad I remember why I still love this medium.

Nobody guessed 9, although it was to be expected, I suppose.

Only 7 left, I think that it's a pretty known game, at least for a Point&Click Adventure. No new hints, but a little help with the previous ones: the name of the game is in the first hint (you only have to wipe 6 words).

Game #7:

Hint 1: Not sure if it's the longest, but this adventure is a great journey (and no, the game is not Journey).

Hint 2: Two worlds are going to collide in this Point & Click adventure: one is futuristic and tech-heavy while the other is fantastic and based on magic.

Hint 3: The game has had a sequel, but it departed from the C&P genre. It would later release a third sequel in episodic format that was partially financed via kickstarter.

Hint 4: One of the characters of this game is called Crow. He is, indeed, a crow.

Around the Network

4- Final Fantasy IX

3- Paper Mario TTYD

Hint for 2: A powerup, which could be considered cheap and easily abusable, made its first apparence in this game. That powerup hasn't made any other apparance since then, though.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Entropio said:

Only 7 left, I think that it's a pretty known game, at least for a Point&Click Adventure. No new hints, but a little help with the previous ones: the name of the game is in the first hint (you only have to wipe 6 words).

Game #7:

Hint 1: Not sure if it's the longest, but this adventure is a great journey (and no, the game is not Journey).

Hint 2: Two worlds are going to collide in this Point & Click adventure: one is futuristic and tech-heavy while the other is fantastic and based on magic.

Hint 3: The game has had a sequel, but it departed from the C&P genre. It would later release a third sequel in episodic format that was partially financed via kickstarter.

Hint 4: One of the characters of this game is called Crow. He is, indeed, a crow.

For some reason I hadn't noticed these hints before. That would be The Longest Journey I think.

2. Best game from last generation, plain and simple. A sequel was announced for it very recently.

Darashiva said:
Entropio said:

Game #7:

For some reason I hadn't noticed these hints before. That would be The Longest Journey I think.

Correct!

7 - The Longest Journey

I’ve always felt some kind of sympathy for Point n’ Click adventures, but I haven’t played a lot of them. A friend borrowed me Monkey Island 2, and I loved it, but had to return it before beating it and never found time to go back to it. Strategy games used to take all my PC gaming time (now that time has been taken by life in general). Anyway, The Longest Journey is the only PnC Adventure I’ve fully beaten, but what a great one!

The story, filled with a great sense of humor and charismatic characters (April, Cortez and, specially, Crow!), bring us to a world that has been divided between two dimensions: the technological and industrial Stark (that would be our own world in the future) and the magic Arcadia: both were separated and now somebody is trying to reunite the dimensions again (what would destroy them). April, our character, has the power of travelling between both worlds, and has to find a mysterious character that is the only one that can save the worlds from disaster. I found the story not only very entertaining, but also significantly “mature” for the medium: with a clever writing that many times makes a delicious satire of our own current world – in the best tradition of comical fantastic & science-fiction literature from Cervantes and Jonathan Swift to Stanislaw Lem and Douglas Adams. World construction in TLJ is also perfect, making use of the two different settings (futuristic science-fiction and medieval fantasy) to create rich worlds that appear to have its own life and History outside the game.

It’s a bit strange that a game so different of the rest of the list (the Point&Click adventure and one of the few story-driven games) has reached so high in my list, but this game makes so many things right that it certainly deserved to be in my top ten.