By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

BraLoD said:
AZWification said:

It's funny you say this, because I don't even have Galaxy 2 in my top 50 list..

That's just 'cause you suck.

Do I suck less if I say that Galaxy 2 would have been number 51?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:
BraLoD said:

That's just 'cause you suck.

Being 50 spots under Galaxy 1? Yeah... no.

S.Peelman said:
#3: One of only two main-line games in this old and huge series to not include the series' two most iconic power-ups. At least this one's an original game though.

Hint 2: It also is one of the few that doesn't feature the protagonist's brother, though for the longest time there was a fierce rumour that he actually was in it after-all.

Super Mario 64

Here's a hint for my #3 again, with a little additional help:

The best space combat sim of all time. The second game in the series, ends on a cliffhanger that has sadly never been resolved.

Hint: GTVA Colossus

BraLoD said:
AZWification said:

Come on now, at least it's not 100 spots under!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
BraLoD said:

Come on now, at least it's not 100 spots under!

Being under it is what makes you suck, more than you already do, at least.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
S.Peelman said:
#3: One of only two main-line games in this old and huge series to not include the series' two most iconic power-ups. At least this one's an original game though.

Hint 2: It also is one of the few that doesn't feature the protagonist's brother, though for the longest time there was a fierce rumour that he actually was in it after-all.

Super Mario 64

L is Real 2401 indeed.

Well, I haven't kept up with this thread as much as I would have liked so here's my Top 50 to 11. I'll do hints for my Top 10 later (hopefully).

50. Ultra Street Fighter 4

49. DmC: Devil May Cry

48. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

47. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

46. Final Fantasy Tactics

45. Resident Evil 5

44. Guacamelee

43. Super Punch Out!!

42. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

41. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

40. Star Fox 64

39. Super Smash Bros. Melee

38. Tomb Raider (2013)

37. The Last Of Us

36. Super Castlevania IV

35. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

34. Mega Man 2

33. Battletoads

32. Mario Kart 64

31. Super Smash Bros. 4

30. Bioshock

29. Tekken Tag Tournament

28. Super Mario Galaxy

27. Donkey Kong Country

26. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

25. Resident Evil 2

24. Overwatch - NEW!

23. Super Mario Bros. 3

22. Mario Kart: Double Dash

21. Super Mario 3D World

20. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

19. Donkey Kong Country Returns

18. Super Mario World

17. Super Metroid

16. Super Mario Galaxy 2

15. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

14. Final Fantasy IV

13. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

12. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

11. Metal Gear Solid

Signature goes here!

Super Mario 64 as guessed by Darashiva

The first game on the podium is 'Super Mario 64'. A game which needs no introduction as it is one of the most well known and important games ever made. Even today, this game is just as amazing as it ever was, but back in the day, it was lightyears in front of anything we had seen up until then. When starting up the game you'd be treated with a title-screen unlike any, where you could mold Mario's face by tugging and pulling it. Mindblowing.

Of course, it didn't stop there. Each level was a revelation of gaming, there was freedom in this game that was unprecedented. The game includes 15 main "courses", each with six Stars to collect, along with a bonus-Star when the player collects at least 100 coins in a level. Aside from these, there's the "Castle Stars" which are found in secret levels or by completing some small task in the hub-world. It's essentially an open world game, where the player has every freedom to choose what course or what Star to tackle next. The only obstacle that blocks your progress are the Star Doors, which require a certain amount of Stars to open. Behind these, there's the Bowser level, which gets you a key to open the door to next floor in the castle.

The game got a remake on the DS handheld, which added extra levels, new Stars to collect, mini-games and extra playable characters. The remake renovated the art direction of the game to fit with more modern Mario games, and added touch-screen control in place of the monumental analogue-stick controls. The remake's controls scheme couldn't match the original's though and in general I often, even in new games, find myself thinking developers should have taken a better look at 'Super Mario 64', when it still does things better.

There's nothing to fault in this game, and for all intents and purposes, it's a perfect game. Polished to where you didn't think was possible. One would have thought Nintendo couldn't possibly outdo the achievement of 'Super Mario 64', but only a little later, we already knew better. The Nintendo 64 is truly the greatest video-game system ever released.

#2: The greatest plot-twist ever that made me literally fall from my chair for never realizing it before. "What, it's me?!"

3. You have to kill 16 enemies and turn yourself into one of them to save a single girl.