By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "You shouldn’t assume what you saw on the video represents actual Switch game footage"

potato_hamster said:
bigtakilla said:

Exactly, it means everything to day 1 buyers (when games tend to sell the most respectively). No one is gonna say "I'll wait for the Switch version" if a Switch version isn't even listed. Again, the lack of transparency with Nintendo.

I just do not understand the potential harm of announcing recognizable third party games that were featured in the announcement trailer. What harm can that possibly do? It's not like it's a new IP or anything like that. All it does is raise requestions with people that are interested in your system and dampers their excitement.

Exactly, a brand new reveal, and we can't get a 3 min trailer that doesn't make me worried and skeptical.

Around the Network

It was simulated because the screen looks weird in videos and you can see in the trailer over the clothes of the women in her home part of the trailer. This also means that we cannot assume the dock is just for power from the trailer

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

potato_hamster said:
bigtakilla said:

Exactly, it means everything to day 1 buyers (when games tend to sell the most respectively). No one is gonna say "I'll wait for the Switch version" if a Switch version isn't even listed. Again, the lack of transparency with Nintendo.

I just do not understand the potential harm of announcing recognizable third party games that were featured in the announcement trailer. What harm can that possibly do? It's not like it's a new IP or anything like that. All it does is raise requestions with people that are interested in your system and dampers their excitement.

And meanwhile, Dragon Quest 11 and Sonic 2017 have been announced for NX/Switch long ago. It's ridiculous.

hunter_alien said:
Cobretti2 said:

you do realise the preview isn't aimed at you but the general public?

they wanted to get a message across about wtf it actually does, because unlke the wii u no one was informed. 

by adding "new game footage" it would take away from what the switch is about. they wanted people to talk about the switch and not the games. that way come time of release unless you been livng under a rock you know what it is and that it is a new console and not an addon for the wii.  

No, I still dont buy it. Games sell consoles. The NS is not a far out concept, that people cannot get their heads around it. Time and time again we were proven that gameplay footage helps sell games and consoles. Remember the old&od PS3 commercials? But lets say that you are right, what possible reason could they have to not show some expected games 5 months prior release? How in the hell would that take away from the buzz?

This is not a make or break sittuation, but it would have helped IMO.

Neither was the Wii U but clearly the general public had no clue and still doesn't. 

These people couldn't care less what the games are. To them selling a concept is the more important thing.  Oh I can game at home and on the go by simply pulling it in and out.

The real question should be are these people (i.e. the wii crowd) a lost cause and they have moved on to just tablets and smartphones?

Should they stop trying to be too fancy and focus on the core gamer instead? 

potato_hamster said:
bigtakilla said:

Yet again, what sense does it make to have the official page have every other system available for preorder, but not even mention their company. That's not smart business, in fact its the opposite.

I completely agree, hence my frustration. I mean honestly, what's the point of listing any of the official partners if they're not allowed to discuss the degree of which they're actually partnering with Nintendo, and what their partnership actually means for gamers?

For all we know From Software has no intentions of ever putting a game on the NS, but rather is offering their technical expertise in soft area of game development they're experts in. On the other hand, I'm sure there's gamers out there that expect From's next be title to appear on the NS because their name is on that list.

I don't what From Software does besides making games, but I don't know if Nintendo would slap their brand on the list of partners working on Switch just for kicks. I mean, it would be like hearing that Monolith Soft is working with Nintendo on Zelda Breath of the Wild. Most gamers won't hear about it besides the most informed. I mean yeah I know you're just putting in an example so who knows.

I can't really say if Nintendo is the one trying to keep them silent or they are voluntarily not talking about it. Square didn't really confirm anything until later this year even though they announced games like DQ much earlier. Then you got Sega who announced Sonic 2017 is coming to Switch. A lot of mixed messaging on that department. Other than that, the overall message from the teaser didn't confuse me nor bothered me, personally.

Around the Network
benji232 said:
Odd thing to say... Why shouldn't we assume that it is switch gameplay within a switch trailer?

Nintendo just don't want to do any official game announcements, yet - they want to hold onto the announcements for a later date.

There's really no reason they'd make video of Mario, Splatoon, or Mario Kart with new content if they weren't actual gameplay videos. They *definitely* wouldn't have made a video with a completely new setting for Mario, or have Splatoon with newly upgraded character designs, for a "teaser trailer".

A little more could be claimed about Skyrim and NBA 2K, which could conceivably be video from other versions... but I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would have those two games shown in their "teaser trailer" when there would undoubtedly be other comparable games actually coming, if those games aren't in development.

So I say they're just doing the usual "we aren't going to confirm it now, because otherwise we couldn't make a big deal about them later" attitude.

Aielyn said:
benji232 said:
Odd thing to say... Why shouldn't we assume that it is switch gameplay within a switch trailer?

Nintendo just don't want to do any official game announcements, yet - they want to hold onto the announcements for a later date.

There's really no reason they'd make video of Mario, Splatoon, or Mario Kart with new content if they weren't actual gameplay videos. They *definitely* wouldn't have made a video with a completely new setting for Mario, or have Splatoon with newly upgraded character designs, for a "teaser trailer".

A little more could be claimed about Skyrim and NBA 2K, which could conceivably be video from other versions... but I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would have those two games shown in their "teaser trailer" when there would undoubtedly be other comparable games actually coming, if those games aren't in development.

So I say they're just doing the usual "we aren't going to confirm it now, because otherwise we couldn't make a big deal about them later" attitude.

I'm with you on this. Sure, not everyone is in on this, but what do we know about how Nintendo will work this out. We're not under the trenches of their business.

If a single one of those games doesn't come to Switch, Nintendo you're gonna wanna join Sean Murray in hiding!

Einsam_Delphin said:
If a single one of those games doesn't come to Switch, Nintendo you're gonna wanna join Sean Murray in hiding!

I'm pretty sure they will come to NS, but if not... they should go in hiding ;-p.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Cobretti2 said:
hunter_alien said:

No, I still dont buy it. Games sell consoles. The NS is not a far out concept, that people cannot get their heads around it. Time and time again we were proven that gameplay footage helps sell games and consoles. Remember the old&od PS3 commercials? But lets say that you are right, what possible reason could they have to not show some expected games 5 months prior release? How in the hell would that take away from the buzz?

This is not a make or break sittuation, but it would have helped IMO.

Neither was the Wii U but clearly the general public had no clue and still doesn't. 

These people couldn't care less what the games are. To them selling a concept is the more important thing.  Oh I can game at home and on the go by simply pulling it in and out.

The real question should be are these people (i.e. the wii crowd) a lost cause and they have moved on to just tablets and smartphones?

Should they stop trying to be too fancy and focus on the core gamer instead? 

Thats also true. I still hope that they manage a bit of both pies. Right now only building on one should result in a total failure or under performance. Allas, we shall wait and see if their plan works out.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!