By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

Nautilus said:

And as it was obvious way back in 2016, Switch crushed through the 100 million mark.

Good etiquete teaches you not to gloat, but being the person I am, I dont care. I was one of the most foward thinking members here, and this just proves that I still am, and I'm probably one of the few.

As the first one in this forum, and probably one of the first on the internet, to predict that the Switch would sell at least 100 million units, all that is left to say is this:

Great job on the prediction, but let me be the first to say, "Congrats on using a space after your periods now."  What you originally posted was a wall of text as many said, but the lack of spaces after each sentence made it look like there wasn't even any mortar connecting the bricks.  

Around the Network

It means nothing! NOTHING I TELL YOU!

The cliff is COMING!!! *ANGRY NOISES*

i think this also establishes views=/=sales

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DM235 said:

I can confidently say that it will sell zero units this year (pre-orders don't count).

I can also confidently say that the launch NS SKU will not sell anywhere close to 100 million units.

If the NS launches at $199, it will sell 40+ million units. If it launches at $250 or more, it will sell less than 25 million units (basically just to the Nintendo fanbase). I think this will hold true no matter what the other specs are (hardware specs, online capabilities, battery life, etc).

Ahahahahaha

peachbuggy said:
LipeJJ said:

I thought about that too. They could bring stuff like a new and compelling Wii Fit-like game, for example.

I think they want to turn Switch into an experience. Like, you can play traditional games, you can play casual games, you can play creative stuff (like Labo), and so on...

Agreed. Wii fit or whatever it could be rebranded could do well. Not sure what they could use to replace the balance board but i'm sure Nintendo would find a way to make it viable. Personally i will hopefully be looking forward to a new Wii/Switch Sports and Wii/Switch party.

You predicted RingFit. In some way. I tip my hat, sir!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

In some ways these comments aged like milk...but for some of us...more like fine wine. ?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

OP was not all that well reasoned, especially with what info we had at the time, but it's still an impressively good call from the fall of 2016. Also, kudos to supporters who made actual arguments. I freely admit to having underestimated the Switch, no issue there. As one can note from my posts involving the PS4, I was also skeptical of that, but I want to add that the Covid-19 pandemic was really hard to predict, and it provided a historically unprecedented lift of the entire market (mostly concerning PS4 LT sales from my side). Not just consoles, but phones, PCs and PC components, TVs, streaming services, and even entertainment-related furniture. Additionally, it would seem that both PS5 and Xbox Series X (no one really wants the Series S...) have an artificially high level of demand due to the ongoing component shortage. The market has been absolutely wild since the start of 2020 and I don't think a single soul could have seen all this in 2016.

What surprised me the most in this thread from reading it again was the relatively poor outlooks from quite a few Nintendo fans.

PS: Always be prepared to be wrong, that's why I write so in my posts. And if you are, own up to it, otherwise, you never learn anything.

It's so funny that people can't remove their bias to do basic analysis

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Mnementh said:
peachbuggy said:

Agreed. Wii fit or whatever it could be rebranded could do well. Not sure what they could use to replace the balance board but i'm sure Nintendo would find a way to make it viable. Personally i will hopefully be looking forward to a new Wii/Switch Sports and Wii/Switch party.

You predicted RingFit. In some way. I tip my hat, sir!

Why, thank you! Although most of the credit for that should go to Lipe.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Funny thing is that a lot of the arguments against OP boils down to "the hardware is weak".

If people should learn anything it is that the power of the hardware is not what makes or breaks a console.