By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

It really cant go above 300$. Anything more than that its going to be a very hard sell.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
JRPGfan said:

To your point number 5) I know there were more reasons to the Wii U failure, but if I were to list them all, the text would be bigger.And this point in particular was more revelant to the point I am trying to make.

And another thing that I should have mentioned in the text, is that if Nintendo plays their cards right, they could easily convince the combined instaoll base of the 3DS+ Vita to the Switch, since as a handheld it is very impressive and should get as much support as those devices got.I mean, Nintendo could screw up with baterry life, but Im giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

Now that is a good point :)

Without Sony doing a new handheld, the intire market basically just goes to Nintendo.

That alone is probably worth 14m or so, ontop of the 60m or so 3DS sales there are.

I know the real number will probably be abit smaller than that, but thats potentially 70-75m right there alone from the handheld side of things.

I bet alot of people that own a Wii U also have either a 3DS or Vita, so its probably not going to be much higher than that.

Thats the stuff that makes me think maybe if Nintendo does well with the Switch it could reach upwards of those levels (70m+).

Its hard to tell though, and some people here seem really pessimistic about it, while others are very optimisic.

I hope nintendo does do well though.

I will say this though.... handheld market is typically more price sensitive than the home console markets.

Alot of this hinges on Nintendo selling the Switch at a reasonable price. 

KLXVER said:
It really cant go above 300$. Anything more than that its going to be a very hard sell.

If its gonna do the numbers the OP wants, it needs that 249$ price point.

Even 299$ is abit to high, that puts it in the same range as the Slim models for sony / ms.

For people that just want a home console, and dont value the handheld aspect, equal price could mean lost sales.

Not to mention a device marketed mostly as a handheld..... priced at 299$ is more than most handhelds in the past have had, and succeded.

Soundwave said:
Nautilus said:

Well, as I said and many others here, there is still much to learn and I still think Nintendo is holding many interesting things about the Switch behind the curtain.But since the Wii, people grew accustomed to the idea that unless Nintendo comes up with a strange fun new way to play and its not a handheld, its going to fail(or not be as successful).I think you dont need to look no further than the PS4.For all te talk about power and all, compared to a high end PC, PS4 is nothing incredible.It plays games normally, has a normal controller, and even have a paywall for multiplayer, which I find ridiculous.But it succeded.Why?Because of a string of oportunities and right decisions.I think the same can be applied to Nintendo.Having a much more atractive lineup of games than the other two, if it makes the right decisions, and be active on getting deals, on marketing and such, i dont see why it dosent stand a chance at being very successful.

Nintendo is not Sony. Sony has a (well deserved) reputation with the "dude bros/jock gamer" crowd, Nintendo has a very poor reputation with that crowd. 

Plus Sony worked their *ass* off to make sure the Playstation 3 recovered and finished very strong. Nintendo just let the Wii U die on a whimper. 

There is still a market for a high end home game console, but for a portable? Eh. That's going to be a tougher sell in this day and age where kids have tablets from very young ages. 

And I agree with you.To be quite honest, I think Nintendo took a lesson or two from Sony.i mean, as many people said, the trailer seemed very "Sony", and Sony knows how to sell their image.That is why their marketing on this will be so important, and why I think the mobile, films and theme parks will play a large role in making this successful.They need to work on their image.For that, they first need to make the Nintendo brand strong and more recognizable as a gaming company with normal people again(not more hardcore gamers like us) so that they get on board, getting an installed base will atract the companies to make games for Switch.getting more games and hopefully the big games, will atract gamers to it.It is kinda of a snowball effect.That is why the first year is so important.I wont say that will happen, Nintendo will have to work real hard for it, but the chance is certainly there.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JRPGfan said:
KLXVER said:

If its gonna do the numbers the OP wants, it needs that 249$ price point.

Even 299$ is abit to high, that puts it in the same range as the Slim models for sony / ms.

For people that just want a home console, and dont value the handheld aspect, equal price could mean lost sales.

Not to mention a device marketed mostly as a handheld..... priced at 299$ is more than most handhelds in the past have had, and succeded.

Yeah, and I think thats the big reason why Nintendo says its mainly a home console. 249$ would be great, but I think Nintendo wants to make good money on each console sold. Thats why I worry it might be 300-350$.

Around the Network

That would surprise me. 

First, I think a lot of adamant Nintendo fans overvalue many of Nintendo's IP.  We saw with the Wii U that Mario & Company are not going to turn a home console into a hit property on their own.  Pokemon might become the exception to that but, on the other hand, casuals might have had their fill with Pokemon GO.  

Second, we have to think about the baseline of the Switch regarding dedicated Nintendo fans.  It's not handheld + home console by any means.  Many of those handhelds and home consoles belonged to the same households and I would wager that a fair number of households owned multiple handheld units.  However, we're not going to see many households with multiple Switch(es?  I'm starting to hate this name).  

That means, for Nintendo to reach those numbers, that they're going to have to win over new customers, something they've been failing at for awhile.

And what's going to win those new customers?  As a home console, the Switch probably won't have the best graphics or the best resolution.  It probably won't have the quality and quantity of third-party support enjoyed by the competitors.  It will have Pokemon coming from the handheld side but, honestly, that's about the only handheld property that will make a mass market difference in the west.

On that front, I don't see it putting much of a dent in the popularity of the PS4+XO.  I don't think it's going to drag many people away from those ecosystems.

As a handheld, things are somewhat better, mostly because there is no current gen competition.  That flip side there is that I'm not so sure people really want a large dedicated gaming tablet.  Is it going to replace the tablets people already carry around with them?  Are parents going to let kids stuff it into their backpacks and take it to school with them?  Decreased convenience compared to previous Nintendo handhelds is a layer of competition it will have to deal with.

Eh.  That's a lot of words.  I'll put it more simply:

• Nintendo is going to have trouble winning new customers.
  • PS4/XO are going to be more popular for people primarily looking for a home console solution.
  • As a handheld the Switch is less accessible than the DS-line and that will hurt it.
  • I feel like the whole endeavor is riding on Pokemon.

Basically, I think it will do okay.  Existing Nintendo fans will buy it.  It has Pokemon and Zelda might rise to new heights as a franchise.  I just don't see this hardware design growing the customer base by a large amount.  If the Switch is going to be a "smash hit" then it's going to need several new IP that blow up big and draw in people for whom Nintendo's traditional properties don't really do much.  

RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:

First of all, I really dont believe the price of the basic model, which is the one that will really count, is going to be that expensive.I think we are seeing a 300 price tag here.And there are rumors to back this up, as Laura Kate(I think it was her and I think thats her name), the one that has been leaking stuff lately, has said that the basic model would be 300 and the "premium" model would be 400.I assume premium here comes with more acessories and maybe a game or two.

(...)

$300 and $400 are rumored?

*shakes head in disbelief*

If that turns out to be true, then Nintendo has seriously messed up. Probably because they felt they had to make concessions to third parties, so they packed in more power than they should have. And if it's that powerful, then battery life is going to be really bad as well. Killing their own platform for a chance to get games that won't sell their hardware. So stupid. So sad.

Here found it.They speak about price at around 6:30(was wrong about being Kate that said it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsKf2XlbRXI

It should be noted that the news is "old" and might be more innacurate than rumours normally is.I also find this article that says it could be 300 dollars, but its more of a speculation than a rumor:

http://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-nx-price

There is still alo9t to be revealed about the Switch.If they give enough things to warrant that price, I cant see why it couldnt sell.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

it probably will.

The 3DS, which wasn't that impressive in itself (although I like mine) may end up crossing the 70 million mark. It wouldn't be THAT impressive for the next partially handheld Nintendo device to retain the 3DS fanbase and then when you add in those interested in the home console aspect....

I think the strongest reason it may end up with quite a large userbase is going to be the game library. People in the past at times who aren't big Nintendo fans seem to be torn- do they buy the handheld OR the home console? in some cases it was literally a decision of buying one seperate game library vs another. And the confusion and decision making I think would cause people to go with neither. It can be daunting, the idea of having to buy two systems to get access to a lot of great big N games

with a unified consistent game release schedule one should expect this system to sell well.

Also price point wise 300$ (or even over) would be perfectly fine, this is a 2-1 device. People spend 700$ on new phones. Be realistic here folks. Adjusted speaking a lot of the older consoles would be like 500$.

archbrix said:
It's far too early to realistically make a prediction as bold as that because we don't have nearly enough information yet.

But to keep with the spirit of this thread, I'll try one: NS will pass WiiU's LTD install base before the end of 2017.

Kiiiya!

I agree with this post and it's karate.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I think it will be closer to 100M than 50M with the potential to smash 100M.

-Nintendo still has something up their sleeve.
-I think the NES Mini will have a similar effect as Pokemon Go/Mario Run
-If the dock is just a fan and HDMI cable, then that's +$20 to have a console available in each room/friend's house/grandma's house
-Forcing/encouraging the use of local multiplayer on 3rd parties
-DS @ $150, Wii @ $200 (exc Wii Sports). $350 for NS sounds reasonable and doable.
-The DS acted as an advertisement for Wii software. Nintendo understands how important it is to get people to try their games. The NS is a walking advertisement and 'demo station' like the DS with the bonus that instead of taking turns, it's instant multiplayer which leads on to...
-Download play. You get to play the multiplayer part of a game you don't own (yet). There's no reason why you couldn't have access to a 'local' friend's game library while connected, no different than passing a cartridge over. Go one step further and allow people to trade, permanently or on a temp basis.
-I don't see siblings sharing the console for long. Like the DS, I think they'll demand one each. After a few price cuts, if the right software is there then Mum and Dad will want one too.
-It has the 'party' console thing going for it. It might collect dust most of the year but again, with the right software it will always be out at X-mas/birthdays.
-The potential of the 'fitness/exercise' genre is still untapped and ignored, the NS is the console most suited to tap into it.
edit -Game price. Possibly half in some cases of what a new release costs elsewhere.

The NS reveal and reception doesn't seem or feel anything like the 'wow' reaction the Wii got.
It has a similar 'hmmm?' reaction/feel as the DS.

How does a system with the third party support of the DS alongside doubled first party output not beat 3DS at a minimum?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!