By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

Well, that went well

Around the Network

Update: Sold 61.44 so far, about 38.56 to go.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

BillyBong said:
Wyrdness said:

Except those games are system sellers more so than Mario and Zelda, Fire Emblem causes hardware spikes in Japan, Pokemon and AC are 10m sellers on average and Tomodachi shifts 5-6m only Metroid remains to be seen if it can move systems, the Switch can't do Wii U numbers because going by the shipped total by analysts it's already outsold the Wii U.

Seriously?.. you think a strategic rpg will sell consoles?  Animal crossing?  Or even Pokemon?  Andtrust me, I know how big Pokemon is for kids.. I've seen myself the Pokemon craze in Japan, but yes, those games will sell.. but I don't think they'll push much for the console itself.  The Wii u had similar titles too.. Dont think it helped..But like I said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Well this aged well. 

At this point, anybody who is still saying 100 million LTD is just straight up delusional. That number is the floor... in the basement!
The bare minimum should be 110 million.

Feel like Switch could make it to the 135-140 million range now. Upping my prediction around 10 million from high 120s.

61 million now, add in 15 million for rest of year = 76 million
20 mil 2021
16 mil 2022
12 mil 2023
6 mil 2024 (successor launches)
5 mil combined 2025-2027

That's 135 million right there and obviously I didn't even do any super optimistic sales there.

Around the Network

And as it was obvious way back in 2016, Switch crushed through the 100 million mark.

Good etiquete teaches you not to gloat, but being the person I am, I dont care. I was one of the most foward thinking members here, and this just proves that I still am, and I'm probably one of the few.

As the first one in this forum, and probably one of the first on the internet, to predict that the Switch would sell at least 100 million units, all that is left to say is this:

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Shouldn't brag, too much, dude. Most of the users that adamantly refused to believe the machine would go on to sell 100M are long gone.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

It's always funny but also sad to see so many bad takes.
So many people with zero clue of what they're talking about. Just saw plenty of those on Nintendolife. One guy unironically compared the attach rate of Metroid Prime to Metroid Dread and then declared Dread's sales weak because it didn't sell over 12mil.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 03 February 2022

Nautilus said:
Pinkie_pie said:

What win? Switch selling more than ps4? No chance

See?It will be PRICELESS!!!!

Can't wait to see it happen!

maxleresistant said:

Pinkie_pie said:

This thread will be gold in 2 years time

I still think that this is early for predictions. But a 100 millions? The funny thing is that only Nintendo fanboys are predicting these kind of numbers

Or stuff like : "it will sell more than the 3ds"

It s funny. Mostly because only a person with no knowledge about the video game market would say stuff like that.

Right now from what we know about the switch my guss is on 35 tops. Because third party support looks like crap (just dance, old skyrim remastee, sonic... this is like the WiiU all over again), it will be underpowered in comparison to the One and Ps4, it will be too big and don t have enough battery to be a good enough handheld, and it will be at least 299, which is not a good price for a handheld.

So well, if I m wrong on a number of those, mainly third party, I guess it could sell more, but never a 100. The wii sold a 100 millions because even parents andgrand parents where buying them to play wii sports and wii fit.

There is no way this demographic will buy an NS.

The switch is great for two kinds of people : Nintendo fanboys, ps4/one/Pc gamer who are hardcore gamers and wants another gaming system on the side.

A 100 millions is not even in play here. 

This post is exactly what I mean. Making assumptions based on nothing, thinks the hardware being weaker than the competition means weaker sales, pretends like it's only a handheld. Shows clear lack of market knowledge and understanding while pretending to know it better. People like this are no loss to any forum.