By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

theprof00 said:
vivster said:

Doesn't the publisher usually get a major share, especially when it owns the IP? Or do they need to pay big to google?

The pokemon company is not owned by nintendo

Not fully but they do own about 32% of the company. They also own about 30% of Creatures Inc. who in turn own about 32% of the TPC as well. So in NIntendo's sense it kind of adds up in a way. 

Around the Network

Didn't expect it to fall so quickly. Thought it would remain that high for a few more weeks.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

theprof00 said:
Why do people not understand that the implication they're making is not because mobile isn't lucrative, but because they don't own the IP, they aren't the publisher, and only had minimal involvement?

The big winners here are niantic, google, apple, and the the pokemon company.
Nintendo only owns a share of the pokemon company revenue, which is already going to be split several ways.

Nothing to do with the financial impact of mobile. In fact, had nintendo actually had the balls to make the game in the first place, they would have made infinitely more.

They also own a share of Niantic Company, but your point is the same. The only real criticism you could have of Nintendo was not producing something like this first so that they could take in the majority of profits.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hypothetical question.

Do you think Google would benefit from purchasing the Pokémon franchise from Nintendo? (Assuming that is possible. I don't know how trans-national IP transfer works.)

Following that, how much do you think Nintendo is dependent on the Pokémon franchise?

patronmacabre said:
Hypothetical question.

Do you think Google would benefit from purchasing the Pokémon franchise from Nintendo? (Assuming that is possible. I don't know how trans-national IP transfer works.)

Maybe? Nintendo's probably not interested in selling.

patronmacabre said:

Following that, how much do you think Nintendo is dependent on the Pokémon franchise?

Very. The franchise has helped cement Nintendo's mobile gaming until recently.

Around the Network
Culipechi said:
"Nintendo should go full mobile"

they should go full mobile for advertising :P

A balance of advertising on TV and mobile can create amazing results. Nintendo's advertising issues can be solved.

for example, if nintendo made a mario game, imagine if the popup ads show the NX and make people start to get interested. 

Things like this can really help them

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Such a bubble was bound to burst sooner or later.

Smile on one guys face from hearing this news though. Wasn't surprised when I saw the title.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

patronmacabre said:
Hypothetical question.

Probably nor Nintendo nor the Pokemon Company is interested in selling the rights.Pokemon already makes a killing in handheld machines, and Nintendo is not exactly saying no to their mobile initiative.And on Nintendos part they are bound to lose one of their biggest franchises, which is associated with their brand.This is a lose-lose situtation, so i dont think it will happen.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

vg feeling slow right now

Mobile games are the fast food of the industry. Shallow, nutritionally empty and short sided. The future of the industry is not in mobile. It's in sustainable IP. Whatever that is, I don't know but I know it's not mobile games.