By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Explanation for Lack of Female Hero in Zelda: Breath of the Wild Doesn’t Add Up

Source is TheMarySue.com (Full article here)

Author is Jessica Lachenal

Explanation for Lack of Female Hero in Zelda: Breath of the Wild Doesn’t Add Up

[...]

According to a chat with GameSpot, Eiji Aonuma, a producer at Nintendo, said that “We thought about it, and decided that if we’re going to have a female protagonist, it’s simpler to have Princess Zelda as the main character.” [...] Aonuma went on to explain, “…if we have Princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup.

The implication here is that the creative team worried more about Link’s story and identity rather than Zelda’s. It boiled down to a question that sounds a lot like, “But what about the man,” the inverse of which (“But what about the woman”) is a question that women have long since wondered to themselves. Even then, this reasoning doesn’t exclude the idea of a female version of the Hero, or Link. It might exclude the idea of Princess Zelda as a protagonist (disappointing), but how does this prevent them from creating a new character to play the hero?

The statement about “the idea of the balance of the Triforce” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, either, and it’s hard to gather why that would also be a factor in why they didn’t include a female Link. [...] The reason just feels arbitrary, rather than thought-out or even considered.

During Nintendo Treehouse E3 Live event, much was said about defying past Zelda norms and tropes. If you ask me, one great way of actually defying those norms would be to add a female hero. [...] However, it seems like we’re a long way off from seeing a character like Linkle fronting her own Zelda game at Nintendo.

Considering most Zelda stories are non-gender-specific anyway (and given Link’s often much-parodied androgynous appearance), how much effort would it really take to build a female hero, someone that isn’t just head-canonically female but actually female?

[...]

Thoughts on this?

Around the Network

I wanna play as male Samus.

Edit: but it is cannon for Link to be male. Hero of Time? The chosen hero? Hylia chose a man to be the hero. In SS, Zelda made Link the hero by giving him her cloth thing. 

I don't care what gender the protagonist is, but saying that Zelda's story is non-gender specific it's like making Thor a wom- oh...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Thoughts? Its from the Mary Sue. They're not game developers, they're not gamers, and they spend far too much time thinking about gender politics. I don't care about their opinions in the slightest.

Seriously: Who cares?

Slarvax said:
I wanna play as male Samus.

Male Samus isn't probably an option, but don't worry; unlike Breath of the Wild, the new entry of Metroid Prime, Federation Force, will allow you to play as male characters.

Around the Network

Any explanation wouldn't have been enough for a site like marysue. Fact is they didn't want to go with a playable female protagonist. That is all the explanation we need. Their game, their vision, their decision. The entitlement is so very strong with people these days.

Its a PR talk.He probably cant go and say "I didnt add a female option because I dont want to".And I agree with him that I much prefer to have Zelda playable or a new female protagonist, rather than make the (stupid) decision to make Link female for some random reason.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Mary sue? nope not even gonna bother with their opinion.

You know what else doesn't add up?
People asking for Fem.Link, especially the ones that know nothing of the Zelda series and that would never play the games and only ask for stuff like this so they can show everybody else how good of a person they're.

Contrary to popular belief, Link isn't just a blank canvas. He is an actual character, and vital to the story. Changing his gender just for the sake of feminism just wouldn't be right. We're talking about a very old, very well known character here!

If you want to make a Zelda game with another hero other than Link, by all means, do that, but leave Link alone please.