By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

Pemalite said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
I know price isn't the reason. Convenience is. You put a game in and it works. At worst you might need to download an update. On PC you might need to rollback video drivers or some other tedious process.

Building your own PC not only saves you easily hundreds of dollars but you get a much more powerful PC.

Rollback drivers? Really? I'm running.. Yep Drivers that are 6+ months old without any dramas. Never had a crash or a blue screen.

My PC tends to be less hassle than my Xbox One to be honest, where it constantly needs updates for everything, some games have erratic performance.
Allot of games these days tend to be buggy/non-functional on launch, where on PC you can usually work around it.

Convenience isn't really an argument anymore, hasn't been since Windows 7 and Steam became the standard and this Generation of consoles launched, adopting many PC "features".

I would argue convenience is still reason to go with consoles. Why? Take me for instance. I don't own a gaming PC and know nothing about building one. Now, what do you think would be easier for me to do tomorrow? Go to the store, pick up a console, bring it home, plug it in and play? Or start studying online how to build a machine within the same price range, which components go together, which of them are good... how to physically put them all together... you get the idea? 

Until you can walk into a store and buy a pre-built, gaming PC in a box, that plays games that are physically for sale, it's not going to be easier for me to play games. Consoles are still very much brainless by comparison.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Until you can walk into a store and buy a pre-built, gaming PC in a box, that plays games that are physically for sale, it's not going to be easier for me to play games. Consoles are still very much brainless by comparison.

All PC vendors have their own, pre-built, gaming machines for sale. Lenovo, Dell, HP, MSI, Asus, doesn't matter, Steam lists some gaming machines you can buy too.
Most reputable tech stores can guide you to a gaming rig, even custom built machines. (Aus PC Market, PC Case Gear etc' do this in Australia.)

So yes. You can walk into a store, buy a gaming PC, go home and plug it in.

PC also went digital years ago. But they still sell games on Disc. (EB Games in Australia does, even in my local store.)
But why get off the couch to go to a store? Isn't that anti-convenience? It's not like most games don't require you to download a significant amount of data even if you buy it on Disk anyway, even on console.

With 180 million~ estimated PC gamers on Steam, convenience doesn't seem to worry most people.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

All PC vendors have their own, pre-built, gaming machines for sale. Lenovo, Dell, HP, MSI, Asus, doesn't matter, Steam lists some gaming machines you can buy too.
Most reputable tech stores can guide you to a gaming rig, even custom built machines. (Aus PC Market, PC Case Gear etc' do this in Australia.)

PC also went digital years ago. But they still sell games on Disc. (EB Games in Australia does, even in my local store.)
But why get off the couch to go to a store? Isn't that anti-convenience? It's not like most games don't require you to download a significant amount of data even if you buy it on Disk anyway, even on console.

With 180 million~ estimated PC gamers on Steam, convenience doesn't seem to worry most people.

I don't see gaming PCs in Wal-Mart, Target... I just don't see them. I see cheap laptops though. And even if I did see them, I'd still have no clue what I'm getting. With a console, I can just buy the thing, and be done for years on end. It's brain dead stuff. I KNOW what I'm getting with PS4, Wii-U and Xbox One. I have NO idea what the hell I'm getting with a gaming PC... ziltch. 

I understand for someone who knows PC gaming inside and out that it may seem hard to grasp but console games and console gaming is really just much less mental work. I buy a box once every 5 years, buy games for said box, and bam... that's it. For me to get up to speed with you and what you know, it would take a long time. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ali_16x said:

No they really aren't, and if people save money for consoles, they can save money for a PC. The new AMD cards and GTX cards are pretty cheap for the power they give.

Console people play on console... not PC. They do it because of ease of use and the unique console experience. MS knows this and that's why they're putting games across both.

Nope, people can change. I hear people talk about switching to PC from console. I know I was a console player yet I'm playing Overwatch on my PC. And even though I had plans to buy an Xbox One once more exclusives came out, I'll be playing Scalebound, Recore etc on my PC instead.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Ali_16x said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Console people play on console... not PC. They do it because of ease of use and the unique console experience. MS knows this and that's why they're putting games across both.

Nope, people can change. I hear people talk about switching to PC from console. I know I was a console player yet I'm playing Overwatch on my PC. And even though I had plans to buy an Xbox One once more exclusives came out, I'll be playing Scalebound, Recore etc on my PC instead.

Sure people can change, but you or I aren't representitive of the console gaming public. The majority of console sales are going to people who play COD, Madden and couldn't tell you what a JRPG is. These people just buy a console, and play it. They're not on message boards and they don't know anything beyond their limited scope.

If MS thought putting their games on Windows was going to kill their business... would they have done it?

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
Ali_16x said:

I wonder if people realize this is going to give the Xbox One bad publicity. I've seen quite a big few YouTubers/Streamers say that the Xbox One is worthless because all their games are on PC. Most YouTubers/Streamers play on PC so I would say most would say Xbox One is worthless for them. Now the people who watch these YouTubers/streamers, they're going see the people they like say that the Xbox One is worthless. How do you think that'll turn out? If YouTubers/Streamers can increase the sales of games, I definitely think they have the power to do this. I would say most would by gaming PCs.

You're forgetting one very important thing... Those things are expensive! If the Scorpio can be cheaper than a rival PC, then it's natural they will drift towards them... 

Scorpio will have ~6Tflops processing power and it is still 18 months away. The RX 480, which will launch next week, already packs ~5Tflops for $200. When Scorpio launches, there will probably be RX 570 and GTX 1150 for $100 - $150 around, which can keep up with it or RX 580 and GTX 1160, which surpass it by far.

And on PC, you are free to decide, if you put additional power in resolution or framerate or better effects/post processing or better textures or better antialiasing or a balanced mix of the features you prefer. On consoles you have to take the settings which the developers decide for you as "best compromise".

Of course a complete PC will still cost a bit more than a similar powered console, but if you only have to upgrade a few components of your old PC, the investment can be cheaper than buying a new console.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ali_16x said:

Sure people can change, but you or I aren't representitive of the console gaming public. The majority of console sales are going to people who play COD, Madden and couldn't tell you what a JRPG is. These people just buy a console, and play it. They're not on message boards and they don't know anything beyond their limited scope.

If MS thought putting their games on Windows was going to kill their business... would they have done it?

I know there will always be players that only play on console but there are people who open too playing on PC and those are the people they're losing. 

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

AlfredoTurkey said:
Pemalite said:

I don't see gaming PCs in Wal-Mart, Target... I just don't see them. I see cheap laptops though. And even if I did see them, I'd still have no clue what I'm getting. With a console, I can just buy the thing, and be done for years on end. It's brain dead stuff. I KNOW what I'm getting with PS4, Wii-U and Xbox One. I have NO idea what the hell I'm getting with a gaming PC... ziltch. 

I understand for someone who knows PC gaming inside and out that it may seem hard to grasp but console games and console gaming is really just much less mental work. I buy a box once every 5 years, buy games for said box, and bam... that's it. For me to get up to speed with you and what you know, it would take a long time. 

I wouldn't know what is available on American supermarket shelves, I don't live there.

The point is... There is 180~ million people on Steam, playing GAMES, obviously people haven't found the same complaints as yourself.
Gaming PC's are readily available at most reputable tech stores, staff will guide you to what you want.

Conina said:
AsGryffynn said:

You're forgetting one very important thing... Those things are expensive! If the Scorpio can be cheaper than a rival PC, then it's natural they will drift towards them... 

Scorpio will have ~6Tflops processing power and it is still 18 months away. The RX 480, which will launch next week, already packs ~5Tflops for $200. When Scorpio launches, there will probably be RX 570 and GTX 1150 for $100 - $150 around, which can keep up with it or RX 580 and GTX 1160, which surpass it by far.

And on PC, you are free to decide, if you put additional power in resolution or framerate or better effects/post processing or better textures or better antialiasing or a balanced mix of the features you prefer. On consoles you have to take the settings which the developers decide for you as "best compromise".

Of course a complete PC will still cost a bit more than a similar powered console, but if you only have to upgrade a few components of your old PC, the investment can be cheaper than buying a new console.

Tflops isn't an accurate way to gauge the performance of hardware. You can have a 5Tflop GPU beat a 6Tflop GPU.

The Radeon 500 series will be a complete rebadge of GPU's from the last 5 years, with a couple of high-end Navi-based GPU's thrown on top.
This year we get Polaris and (If AMD doesn't delay)Vega+rebadges in the 400 series.

Thus the Radeon RX 580 next year, will likely be the Vega based Radeon 490 from this year.

Scorpio should be competitive with Vega.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ali_16x said:

Yes, they would, Xbox One is much behind of the PS4 even after several sales and promotions of the Hardware the console is down YOY even on the USA, we don't know how much they sold of Xbox One or how much they spend on It, maybe they think that is more profitable to sell their games on the PC.

And since we had so many twists of Market Leader in the last generations this shows that  people will play where is the best place to play the games that they like, If PC  will receive all the exclusives of the Xbox One + Their own exclusives + All the MMORPG, Moba + previous generations games + will be cheaper and offer more freedom (You will only need to upgrade it instead of purchase Scorpio 2 from Microsoft), people will of course jump for the PC.

Sony, and Nintendo, still have exclusives to sell their consoles.

Sony has nothing to worry about. MS wants to bring 4K gaming with Scorpio, the main use of it is for 4K TVs, the Neo on the other hand will make your existing games look and run better at 1080p. Spencer himself said Scorpio won't do much for you if you dont have a 4K tv and he's constantly talking about dynamic resolution so it probably won't downsample 4K to your 1080p tv.

I feel like this is gonna be another one of Spencer's failed initiatives. The guy has the best intentions but so far not a big fan of the choices he made: Gears 1 remaster instead of the whole trilogy, ROTR timed exclusive, Rare making a pirate MMO-lite, 360 BC(BC for a HD console, really?), no new studios or new IPs, and now he tries to force 4K before the world is ready.