By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

AsGryffynn said:
Not everyone is going to assemble a gaming PC for the W10 games you fools!

I wonder if people realize this is going to give the Xbox One bad publicity. I've seen quite a big few YouTubers/Streamers say that the Xbox One is worthless because all their games are on PC. Most YouTubers/Streamers play on PC so I would say most would say Xbox One is worthless for them. Now the people who watch these YouTubers/streamers, they're going see the people they like say that the Xbox One is worthless. How do you think that'll turn out? If YouTubers/Streamers can increase the sales of games, I definitely think they have the power to do this. I would say most would by gaming PCs.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
AsGryffynn said:
Not everyone is going to assemble a gaming PC for the W10 games you fools!

I wonder if people realize this is going to give the Xbox One bad publicity. I've seen quite a big few YouTubers/Streamers say that the Xbox One is worthless because all their games are on PC. Most YouTubers/Streamers play on PC so I would say most would say Xbox One is worthless for them. Now the people who watch these YouTubers/streamers, they're going see the people they like say that the Xbox One is worthless. How do you think that'll turn out? If YouTubers/Streamers can increase the sales of games, I definitely think they have the power to do this. I would say most would by gaming PCs.

You're forgetting one very important thing... Those things are expensive! If the Scorpio can be cheaper than a rival PC, then it's natural they will drift towards them... 

AsGryffynn said:
Ali_16x said:

You're forgetting one very important thing... Those things are expensive! If the Scorpio can be cheaper than a rival PC, then it's natural they will drift towards them... 

No they really aren't, and if people save money for consoles, they can save money for a PC. The new AMD cards and GTX cards are pretty cheap for the power they give.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Saving money for a console is a hell of a lot easier than saving money for and then building a gaming PC. Unless someone wants an already built gaming machine, which lowers quality and raises price.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Saving money for a console is a hell of a lot easier than saving money for and then building a gaming PC. Unless someone wants an already built gaming machine, which lowers quality and raises price.

Really? How much more expensive are we talking about? Price isn't the reason prefer console gaming to PC gaming.

Around the Network

I know price isn't the reason. Convenience is. You put a game in and it works. At worst you might need to download an update. On PC you might need to rollback video drivers or some other tedious process.

Building your own PC not only saves you easily hundreds of dollars but you get a much more powerful PC.

Before E3 Microsoft flip flopped hard on the issue, to the point where I start to believe that the Scorpio is nothing but a panic reaction to the PS4 Neo.
They may have just patched together a quick presentation based on some early concepts that they think they can put out in less than 1,5 years.

That's the only way how I can explain the reveal of the slim and the Scorpio in the same press conference.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

LudicrousSpeed said:
I know price isn't the reason. Convenience is. You put a game in and it works. At worst you might need to download an update. On PC you might need to rollback video drivers or some other tedious process.

Building your own PC not only saves you easily hundreds of dollars but you get a much more powerful PC.

Rollback drivers? Really? I'm running.. Yep Drivers that are 6+ months old without any dramas. Never had a crash or a blue screen.

My PC tends to be less hassle than my Xbox One to be honest, where it constantly needs updates for everything, some games have erratic performance.
Allot of games these days tend to be buggy/non-functional on launch, where on PC you can usually work around it.

Convenience isn't really an argument anymore, hasn't been since Windows 7 and Steam became the standard and this Generation of consoles launched, adopting many PC "features".

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Pemalite said:

Whilst true... There can still be a stark contrast in graphics regardless of the base platform.

Take most frostbite games that released on Xbox 360 and Next Gen Consoles/PC like Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline, Dragon Age Inquisition etc'.

The difference this time around is that the lowest-common-denominator is still fairly acceptable to scale things downwards.

Yes, engines that scale up and down well can do wonders, and games with large budgets can also have different sets of textures optimised for different resolutions, maybe even more detailed models, with more polygons. In the worst case, higher res and more powerful versions of effects that can be applied without explicit implementetion in the game, like AA, can still make a game look better, without jaggies, with crisper but smoother edges, and so on, in this case though the improvement from SD to full HD is hugely more noticeable than from full HD to 4k.
To put it short, no doom and gloom, sure, but also no heaven granted without some additional efforts, and even more efforts required to get the most from the powerful model while keeping the same game compatible with the base one too. Probably for the most ambitious games the best solution to offer the best, but save some money, will be to develop for the high-end model and downscale for the base one.

...You are missing the point completly...
They ALREADY "downscale" games to match the consoles, there will simply be less/zero downscaling on Neo/Scorpio.

Look at the Multiplatform comparisons where they compare PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4, the PC always has a few extra graphics effects, heck even a light-weight game like Overwatch has more refinement on PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ali_16x said:
AsGryffynn said:

No they really aren't, and if people save money for consoles, they can save money for a PC. The new AMD cards and GTX cards are pretty cheap for the power they give.

Console people play on console... not PC. They do it because of ease of use and the unique console experience. MS knows this and that's why they're putting games across both.