By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

3sexty said:
Lawlight said:

People categorically refused online-only gaming 3 years ago and you think they'll be ok with online-only service in 10 years time? You will always need a box to play games so why not use consoles?

I truly believe that devices whether they be tablets, convertibles or phones will be ultra powerful in a decades time  which can plug into a hd TV and Nintendo, PlayStation or Xbox will increasingly become a service for playing our favourite games. Xbox on Windows 10 is the first step towards this approach. MS know this and are forward looking by future proofing the Xbox brand.

6 years since my first smartphone and smartphones still don't have good battery life. So excuse me if I choose to believe statements like that when I see it. Thinking about it - game streaming launched 6 years ago too and here we are, still playing games on consoles.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
There's a big problem with the Scorpio that Xbox fans probably don't want to admit. It is basically the end of Xbox HW. Mark my words, the Scorpio will be mostly sold as a Windows 10 box by Holiday 2017. MS is going to try and go up against Steam and the Steam boxes, hence why all XBO games will be launching on PC. If it fails, you will be most likely saying goodbye to MS in the console biz.

Why would that be a problem, and why would anyone have a problem "admitting it"?

So Microsoft will put out the same hardware they normally would, only it's a "Windows 10 box" instead of an Xbox? So it gets the same games and the same OS Xbox fans enjoy using? Well then who cares? Would it bother you if the PS5 was called the Electronic Game Machine or something, if you knew it was still Sony behind the curtain? Also, MS has already said why they are putting games on PC. They are entrenched in both markets and can expand their userbase by combining them. Eventually others here will understand there's not nearly as much overlap between the two as they'd like to think. I thought surely deals like SFV or No Man's Sky would make it apparent, but I guess not.

thismeintiel said:
And really, I can't tell who the Scorpio is for. Why spend $499 (my guess on the price) on an entire system that no longer has exclusives, when you can spend $199 and get a 5.5 Tflops GPU for your PC and play any MS Studios game you want? As for the Neo, I'm sure Sony is going to get it to 5 Tflops-5.5 Tflops. It will also be the best place to play all of the PS4's many exclusives. So, I can see that actually having a market, while Xbox's fortunes will not be turned around.

You need to spend more than $200 on a GPU to match the rumored specs of the Scorpio. And if you want to beef up your PC instead, that's fine with MS. You buy their games, use their ecosystem, they get your money either way. And what do you think makes MS more money, hardware sales or software/service sales? It's been common knowledge for generations that these companies lose money for a time on hardware but make it up in software and more recently, services. So it's bizarre seeing all these people who apparently have great PC's saying MS is missing out because they'll just buy their games on PC. Well.. MS doesn't care. Papa Phil actually touched on this in one of the many many E3 interviews about how MS doesn't care about selling you hardware. They could not care less if you're using a Scorpio, an Xbone, an Xbone S, or a PC. They care that you are in their ecosystem spending money and playing games.

And it still has exclusives. You can't play Forza Horizon or Halo on a Playstation/Nintendo platform :)

Rebranding the music and video services of Microsoft as Xbox Music and video was so dumb, and unnecesary that I can believe that some people are using it as an argument about the commitment of MS with the Xbox Brand.

Tim and The Princes...

3sexty said:
thismeintiel said:

Yes, MS has lots of money, but Xbox doesn't.  We have seen MS starting to distance the Xbox name from other divisions, such as music and video.  We have seen them abandon deals that they made all the time last gen, like COD adversing exclusivity.  Recently, they dropped several studios and games that were in development.  Why?  Because MS is investing less in Xbox than at the start of the gen.  It's the same reason they are demanding all of their exclusives be put on Windows PCs, instead of staying exclusive to Xbox.  They are going to start focusing more on SW, as opposed to HW.

Yes, the XBO S is partly to push more HW, but it is mostly to cut production costs.  Like I said, I'm sure the Scorpio will be pushed just as much, if not more, as a Windows 10 VR console, than as a Xbox.  And consoles are not going anywhere, anytime soon.  People thought this gen was going to be dead because of how the Wii U performed, yet the PS4 is selling just fine, and it's only dropped $50 from when it launched almost 3 years ago.  With further price cuts and only on PS4 exclusives, it'll have no problem getting to 100M+.

I disagree with the point on the music and video service dropping the Xbox name as an effort to diminish the emphasis on the Xbox brand. I believe this was necessary to dilineate the 2 services and to keep gaming separate. Especially now that MS with Windows 10 is trying to push its app and services to the masses. MS rightfully needed to keep the notion of gaming as a separate entity. This is where Sony succeeded by pushing its console primary as a gaming experience rather an all round entertainment machine. I commend you however for acknowledging that MS released the Xbox One Slim to push HW. This is very much the point I am making in regards to its commitment even if there is a cost cutting motive involved. I still think tho that the console will be around forever idea is wrong. This is where MS are playing it smart for preparing for a future where gaming will become a subscription service on multiple devices. This is inevitable - especially with streaming that can be done on W10. Even Sony has partially adopted this with its W10 PS4 streaming app. Regarding the closure of unprofitable studios- I think all the console makers have been guilty of this. That's just business sense. MS did acquire some studios as well such as Mojang. This is placing them well for when they do become a service. In ten years time gaming will be a service on very powerful convertible and mobile, tablet devices. Consoles will end ultimately.

If anyone try to jump from the console Market the other consoles will sell much more because the Console Market will not die.

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:
There's a big problem with the Scorpio that Xbox fans probably don't want to admit. It is basically the end of Xbox HW. Mark my words, the Scorpio will be mostly sold as a Windows 10 box by Holiday 2017. MS is going to try and go up against Steam and the Steam boxes, hence why all XBO games will be launching on PC. If it fails, you will be most likely saying goodbye to MS in the console biz.

Why would that be a problem, and why would anyone have a problem "admitting it"?

So Microsoft will put out the same hardware they normally would, only it's a "Windows 10 box" instead of an Xbox? So it gets the same games and the same OS Xbox fans enjoy using? Well then who cares? Would it bother you if the PS5 was called the Electronic Game Machine or something, if you knew it was still Sony behind the curtain? Also, MS has already said why they are putting games on PC. They are entrenched in both markets and can expand their userbase by combining them. Eventually others here will understand there's not nearly as much overlap between the two as they'd like to think. I thought surely deals like SFV or No Man's Sky would make it apparent, but I guess not.

thismeintiel said:
And really, I can't tell who the Scorpio is for. Why spend $499 (my guess on the price) on an entire system that no longer has exclusives, when you can spend $199 and get a 5.5 Tflops GPU for your PC and play any MS Studios game you want? As for the Neo, I'm sure Sony is going to get it to 5 Tflops-5.5 Tflops. It will also be the best place to play all of the PS4's many exclusives. So, I can see that actually having a market, while Xbox's fortunes will not be turned around.

You need to spend more than $200 on a GPU to match the rumored specs of the Scorpio. And if you want to beef up your PC instead, that's fine with MS. You buy their games, use their ecosystem, they get your money either way. And what do you think makes MS more money, hardware sales or software/service sales? It's been common knowledge for generations that these companies lose money for a time on hardware but make it up in software and more recently, services. So it's bizarre seeing all these people who apparently have great PC's saying MS is missing out because they'll just buy their games on PC. Well.. MS doesn't care. Papa Phil actually touched on this in one of the many many E3 interviews about how MS doesn't care about selling you hardware. They could not care less if you're using a Scorpio, an Xbone, an Xbone S, or a PC. They care that you are in their ecosystem spending money and playing games.

And it still has exclusives. You can't play Forza Horizon or Halo on a Playstation/Nintendo platform :)

Phill isn't the Xbox's CEO ?, so why he talk about Windows 10  more than anything else ?. 

We are not talking about Microsoft making money we are talking about Neo and Scorpio, Releasing all their games for the PC is extremely harmful for the Xbox One and the harm is even greater out-side of the USA where they already have problem to increase their install base.

If the PS5 was called Eletronic gaming Machine but still had Exclusives so this would not be a  big problem for the console, Microsoft isn't changing the name of the Xbox One they are changing its identity of the console now that all their games will be avaliable for the PC and this will take people away from the Xbox One on the USA and even more Worldwide.

We are talking about 2 consoles so there is no sense to talk about software revenue  on the PC (which is pretty low right now) to say that Scorpio will be sucessful,  otherwise there would be no reason to release the Scorpio.

Around the Network

Whatever the power of the most powerful model of a platform, games will have to run on the base model too. You all can deduct the rest.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Not everyone is going to assemble a gaming PC for the W10 games you fools!

Aerys said:
Bandorr said:

The more I see it, the more I agree with you.

On one hand it is the title of an article. On another hand it is from a website where if you call someone one of those words you get banned.

Well then mods should have locked this one and waited for someone to make a thread about this comment from an objective source.

Click bait is allowed, it's on the users, whether the thread stays open, or gets closed. This isn't the 7th gen. So all will remain civil I'm sure.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Whatever the power of the most powerful model of a platform, games will have to run on the base model too. You all can deduct the rest.

Whilst true... There can still be a stark contrast in graphics regardless of the base platform.

Take most frostbite games that released on Xbox 360 and Next Gen Consoles/PC like Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline, Dragon Age Inquisition etc'.

The difference this time around is that the lowest-common-denominator is still fairly acceptable to scale things downwards.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Whilst true... There can still be a stark contrast in graphics regardless of the base platform.

Take most frostbite games that released on Xbox 360 and Next Gen Consoles/PC like Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline, Dragon Age Inquisition etc'.

The difference this time around is that the lowest-common-denominator is still fairly acceptable to scale things downwards.

Yes, engines that scale up and down well can do wonders, and games with large budgets can also have different sets of textures optimised for different resolutions, maybe even more detailed models, with more polygons. In the worst case, higher res and more powerful versions of effects that can be applied without explicit implementetion in the game, like AA, can still make a game look better, without jaggies, with crisper but smoother edges, and so on, in this case though the improvement from SD to full HD is hugely more noticeable than from full HD to 4k.
To put it short, no doom and gloom, sure, but also no heaven granted without some additional efforts, and even more efforts required to get the most from the powerful model while keeping the same game compatible with the base one too. Probably for the most ambitious games the best solution to offer the best, but save some money, will be to develop for the high-end model and downscale for the base one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!