By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Tries to Downplay Microsoft’s Project Scorpio Hardware Power

Swordmasterman said:
Naufraguito said:

I'm not talking about releasing older software, I'm talking about that MS is telling you that you can play the software you buy now in their platforms beyond generations. They are telling you that if you buy their software for Xbone, you will play it in Scorpio, and Xbox Two, and in Scorpio 3, and if in the future you join the PC master race, you'll be able to play your games also, and viceversa. That's something that only MS can offer you, at least right now (if MS succeed and make money, one day we'll see Playstation Store for PC for sure).

In the other hand, of course they want to sell hardware, but they're trying a different aproach, they're releasing dirty cheap hardware, and more expensive more powerful of the same, and let you choose between one, or the other, or PC. They are not trying to sell hardware with exclusive games, they're trying to sell hardware by the hardware itself, and letting you know that later you can choose to switch between their platforms knowing that your game library is going to follow you. And that is something that today only MS are offering you.

Of course that model can fail, maybe the consumers don't like it, or don't get it, but is not a nonsense, is very clever already, and if suceed it's gonna be good, not only for microsoft but for the gaming industry, and the players in general. All console should be BC and letting you play your software on the platform you choose. Playing your games on a console must be a choice, not an imposition.

If PS5 is fully BC, and you can play their exclusives on PC give thanks to Microsoft.

Would be harmful for the industrie to have no exclusive because this would mean the end of the Consoles, Microsoft don't get nothing from PC hardwares sold unless it is their PC that is being sold, 98% of Windows's users are normal people who don't play games and majority are not interested in playing games so Releasing all their exclusives for the PC isn't a  push for the Windows 10 because it would be meaningless because they would get the same number of users anyway.

Microsoft isn't the only in the industrie that can offer backwards compatibility it isn't exclusive for them and this also isn't a selling factor since even with Backwards Microsoft was unable to raise the sales of the Xbox One, and I also don't think that people will purchase a console now because they will be able to play the same games 3 generations after that, So if people were able to play PS1 games on the PS4 this would sell more Hardware for Sony ?, I think that Nintendo let you play games from Snes/Nintendo 64 and other systems in their consoles and even so they are not selling well.

Microsoft will not suceed without exclusives because they are making their product obsolete, Microsoft have a big follow up in the USA but this move would make the Xbox One even weaker out-side of the USA.

1. Why? why if the console market stoo to be exclusive content driven is the same to dissapear. No, going full or partially multiplat with software will not mean the end of consoles, only the end of the old console business. You can use software to sell a console, and you can sell a console because of its power, of because of it's price, and capacity to run a lot of software no matter if is exclusive or not. 
If this movement can harm something, is only the stupid console war.

2. MS is the only one that right now is talking and making possible back and forward compatibility of their software and hardware. You think that legacy software don't sell? Tell GOG, tell Steam... If people don't want to play old games, why these companies are making money with it? Please, even Black Ops 3 entered the best selling list in UK when MS make the game BC. If you think that old software isn't important try to sell a PC that absolutely can't run Doom or Quake 3 Arena, or Grim Fandango, or Max Payne to a PC Gamer, he will laugh in your face. Until Now maybe the console gamer doesn't think that way, maybe will never, but Microsoft is trying to make us thinking in the value of keeping our software forever, and play it no matter how many years, or many generations are left behind.

3. Microsoft in fact make money for every gaming PC, only with the OEM license of Windows, but they are trying to make money selling games of their store also, and for that they are brindging all their exclusives to all the platforms that can, and letting you play on many hardware they can.

If MS will succeed of fail with what they're trying to future will tell, but I think that open platforms are better than closed plattforms, and if they succeed it will be better for all of us gamers.

Tim and The Princes...

Around the Network

This is the thread that does not stop going!

Hmm, I want the console with the most powah! I do not particularly care what letters are on it.

I also want zelda so I guess I just contradicted myself. Maybe Nintendo will release a super power to save me from hypocrisy.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Naufraguito said:
Swordmasterman said:

Would be harmful for the industrie to have no exclusive because this would mean the end of the Consoles, Microsoft don't get nothing from PC hardwares sold unless it is their PC that is being sold, 98% of Windows's users are normal people who don't play games and majority are not interested in playing games so Releasing all their exclusives for the PC isn't a  push for the Windows 10 because it would be meaningless because they would get the same number of users anyway.

Microsoft isn't the only in the industrie that can offer backwards compatibility it isn't exclusive for them and this also isn't a selling factor since even with Backwards Microsoft was unable to raise the sales of the Xbox One, and I also don't think that people will purchase a console now because they will be able to play the same games 3 generations after that, So if people were able to play PS1 games on the PS4 this would sell more Hardware for Sony ?, I think that Nintendo let you play games from Snes/Nintendo 64 and other systems in their consoles and even so they are not selling well.

Microsoft will not suceed without exclusives because they are making their product obsolete, Microsoft have a big follow up in the USA but this move would make the Xbox One even weaker out-side of the USA.

1. Why? why if the console market stoo to be exclusive content driven is the same to dissapear. No, going full or partially multiplat with software will not mean the end of consoles, only the end of the old console business. You can use software to sell a console, and you can sell a console because of its power, of because of it's price, and capacity to run a lot of software no matter if is exclusive or not. 

2. MS is the only one that right now is talking and making possible back and forward compatibility of their software and hardware. You think that legacy software don't sell? Tell GOG, tell Steam... If people don't want to play old games, why these companies are making money with it? Please, even Black Ops 3 entered the best selling list in UK when MS make the game BC. If you think that old software isn't important try to sell a PC that absolutely can't run Doom or Quake 3 Arena, or Grim Fandango, or Max Payne to a PC Gamer, he will laugh in your face. Until Now maybe the console gamer doesn't think that way, maybe will never, but Microsoft is trying to make us thinking in the value of keeping our software forever, and play it no matter how many years, or many generations are left behind.

3. Microsoft in fact make money for every gaming PC, only with the OEM license of Windows, but they are trying to make money selling games of their store also, and for that they are brindging all their exclusives to all the platforms that can, and letting you play on many hardware they can.

If MS will succeed of fail with what they're trying to future will tell, but I think that open platforms are better than closed plattforms, and if they succeed it will be better for all of us gamers.

1: The console market isn't driven by exclusive content, The market is driven by exclusive games and those games are the ones that make each console unique and the only reason why we have 3 different fanbases and 3 different  companies willing to make a Home Console, Pcs will aways be more powerful than consoles and will aways cost less to upgrade than purchasing a completely new console, People don't purchase console because of power it is because of the games and  because they aren't overpriced, A Elite console will never become mainstream neither for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, because of that Steam Machines sold less than 500k in 1 whole year.

2:Microsoft is the only one talking about it but both Sony and Nintendo make their own backwards compatibility the difference is that they don't shout over the 4 winds to promote their Backwards because they know that this don't sell consoles and this isn't what people is expecting from them, I said that Backwards compatibility don't sell Consoles Hardwares but of course if you have a Install base they will sell the software but it will not move any hardwares and Microsoft need Install base in order to do something otherwise they will fail.

The only reason why we don't have Backwards compatibility since the first consoles of each company is because each console had a completely different hardware and you need to Emulate it with your new console and in 100% of the times it will run worse than the original version, Plus this raise the price of your console for the general public  and even the ones who don't want BC would need to pay the price.

3: Microsoft don't get a single cut from games that are sold on Windows they may get something if someone build it with the Direct X but not because of the Windows and people would build games with Direct X anyway so this isn't a reason to release all their games for the PC, If they really wanted to take the max profit from Software and don't care for what plataform they are selling they would publish all their games as a Third Party company or release it for all the consoles and PC just like they do with Minecraft.

Closed plataforms are the way to go with Consoles otherwise we would not have Quality exclusives from each company because we would not have competition, You are saying that a market without competition is better because of what ?.

Swordmasterman said:
Naufraguito said:

1: The console market isn't driven by exclusive content, The market is driven by exclusive games and those games are the ones that make each console unique and the only reason why we have 3 different fanbases and 3 different  companies willing to make a Home Console, Pcs will aways be more powerful than consoles and will aways cost less to upgrade than purchasing a completely new console, People don't purchase console because of power it is because of the games and  because they aren't overpriced, A Elite console will never become mainstream neither for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, because of that Steam Machines sold less than 500k in 1 whole year.

2:Microsoft is the only one talking about it but both Sony and Nintendo make their own backwards compatibility the difference is that they don't shout over the 4 winds to promote their Backwards because they know that this don't sell consoles and this isn't what people is expecting from them, I said that Backwards compatibility don't sell Consoles Hardwares but of course if you have a Install base they will sell the software but it will not move any hardwares and Microsoft need Install base in order to do something otherwise they will fail.

The only reason why we don't have Backwards compatibility since the first consoles of each company is because each console had a completely different hardware and you need to Emulate it with your new console and in 100% of the times it will run worse than the original version, Plus this raise the price of your console for the general public  and even the ones who don't want BC would need to pay the price.

3: Microsoft don't get a single cut from games that are sold on Windows they may get something if someone build it with the Direct X but not because of the Windows and people would build games with Direct X anyway so this isn't a reason to release all their games for the PC, If they really wanted to take the max profit from Software and don't care for what plataform they are selling they would publish all their games as a Third Party company or release it for all the consoles and PC just like they do with Minecraft.

Closed plataforms are the way to go with Consoles otherwise we would not have Quality exclusives from each company because we would not have competition, You are saying that a market without competition is better because of what ?.

I don't share your vision about what is, and what should be the console market. Exclusive games are not the only way, nor the best way to compete, you can compete in price, and you can compete in power, you can also compete in design, in definitive you can compete with your hardware. 
You're right about the reason we haven't had BC always, but with the actual hardware there's no reason for not being BC from now on other than a short-term vision and greed.

For the last time, when I talk about MS making money bringing their exclusives to PC, I'm talking about the games sold on W10 Store, and MS makes money with that store. What they are trying to do is trying to sell more games, not having the biggest userbase of the consoles but making W10 the another Xbox.

A new model of console gaming is possible. Closed platforms are the way to go or not. Open platforms redound in better prices, and better specs.

Tim and The Princes...

3sexty said:
thismeintiel said:
There's a big problem with the Scorpio that Xbox fans probably don't want to admit. It is basically the end of Xbox HW. Mark my words, the Scorpio will be mostly sold as a Windows 10 box by Holiday 2017. MS is going to try and go up against Steam and the Steam boxes, hence why all XBO games will be launching on PC. If it fails, you will be most likely saying goodbye to MS in the console biz.

And really, I can't tell who the Scorpio is for. Why spend $499 (my guess on the price) on an entire system that no longer has exclusives, when you can spend $199 and get a 5.5 Tflops GPU for your PC and play any MS Studios game you want? As for the Neo, I'm sure Sony is going to get it to 5 Tflops-5.5 Tflops. It will also be the best place to play all of the PS4's many exclusives. So, I can see that actually having a market, while Xbox's fortunes will not be turned around.

So MS just announces new powerful hardware for 18 months time and you are so sure that it won't be an Xbox branded machine and that they just suddenly decide to abandon a well known brand and start from scratch. Sorry but you must be dreaming things up in this instance. These like minded predictions have been going on for years (MS abandoning Xbox etc..). And you guys just get proven wrong every year. I do get though that some people are upset with this announcement. Hey they can easily jump on boad and get this truly powerful upgrade as well. I know ill be getting the Scorpio 😃. You can too!

Nowhere did I say that it wouldn't have Xbox on it.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 was written on it just as big or bigger.  And when you see ads for it, you can bet they will be stressing that it supports Windows 10, at least Windows 10 gaming.

And I don't think they are abandoning the Xbox name.  But if Scorpio fails to improve their standings, I have no doubt MS is done with console HW.  They'll probably just switch to pushing games out for Windows.

Around the Network
Naufraguito said:
Swordmasterman said:

I don't share your vision about what is, and what should be the console market. Exclusive games are not the only way, nor the best way to compete, you can compete in price, and you can compete in power, you can also compete in design, in definitive you can compete with your hardware. 
You're right about the reason we haven't had BC always, but with the actual hardware there's no reason for not being BC from now on other than a short-term vision and greed.

For the last time, when I talk about MS making money bringing their exclusives to PC, I'm talking about the games sold on W10 Store, and MS makes money with that store. What they are trying to do is trying to sell more games, not having the biggest userbase of the consoles but making W10 the another Xbox.

A new model of console gaming is possible. Closed platforms are the way to go or not. Open platforms redound in better prices, and better specs.

We would have shit games from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, because  they would not need to invest in games to sell their consoles.

So in a gaming market what is the best way to compete other than making good games that gamers can't play anywhere else ?.

Swordmasterman said:
Naufraguito said:

We would have shit games from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, because  they would not need to invest in games to sell their consoles.

So in a gaming market what is the best way to compete other than making good games that gamers can't play anywhere else ?.

What kind of logic is that MS, Sony and Nintendo try to make good games only for selling consoles, and not in fact to make money selling those games. Frankly, I really don't know what you're saying.

How do you sell hardware with an open platform? Ask Samsung, Dell, LG, Lenovo... You have a really conservative vision about gaming.

Tim and The Princes...

thismeintiel said:
3sexty said:

So MS just announces new powerful hardware for 18 months time and you are so sure that it won't be an Xbox branded machine and that they just suddenly decide to abandon a well known brand and start from scratch. Sorry but you must be dreaming things up in this instance. These like minded predictions have been going on for years (MS abandoning Xbox etc..). And you guys just get proven wrong every year. I do get though that some people are upset with this announcement. Hey they can easily jump on boad and get this truly powerful upgrade as well. I know ill be getting the Scorpio 😃. You can too!

Nowhere did I say that it wouldn't have Xbox on it.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 was written on it just as big or bigger.  And when you see ads for it, you can bet they will be stressing that it supports Windows 10, at least Windows 10 gaming.

And I don't think they are abandoning the Xbox name.  But if Scorpio fails to improve their standings, I have no doubt MS is done with console HW.  They'll probably just switch to pushing games out for Windows.

If they are done with the Console business then why in hell did they just commit to not just one but 2 versions of hardware in the coming months and year - more than ever before in fact. Sorry you are making no sense at all with this statement.  I know you like Sony alot but face it MS have shit loads of money and have commitment to stay in the gaming hardware business.. - like I said been hearing this wishful statement for years now. By the time they do decide to pull out of hw, Sony may also exit hw as the model becomes a service on multiple devices which is where we are going ultimately. In fact Windows 10 strategy is a smart move in this regard. Unfortunately Sony are not future proofing the PS trademark and business in the same way.Consoles will eventually end period and MS know this.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Naufraguito said:
Is amazing how many marketing and business experts are here, I wish Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and any other game company would hire people here. I really don't know what they're thinking.

Maybe if MS or Nintendo did they wouldn't be in the mess they are in right now.

Pemalite said:

Areaz32 said:
How is no one talking about the fact they are abandoning the xbox one? That is the big thing about this. Xbox one doesn't have VR but the Scorpio is supposedly able to do that. It seems that there will be scorpio only content which is the big difference with Neo.

They aren't really abandoning the Xbox One. They are added another product into the product stack, the vanilla Xbox One/Xbox One S won't dissapear, it will just be the budget option.

VR requires a significant investment anyway.

Actually MS said that it is up to the developer if they want to make Scorpio exclusives so yeah the vanilla X1 or the S could become irrelevant.