By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [CRAVE] Baldur’s Gate Expansion controversy

I dont like when western developers force theyr political progressive ideas into games that has nothing to do with it

this is baldurs gate, universe of D&D , not USA 2016 please, this ruins the immersion and fun for me

theres not only the transexual character but also jokes about GamergGate... why they have to ruin games like this?

Around the Network

View on YouTube

View on YouTube

View on YouTube

I found a great deal more intelligent thought put into the videos above. The CraveOnline piece seems to be a pity/propaganda piece, I suppose I should be used to it by now, though.

JRPGfan said:
CladInShadows said:

I wouldn't try to find any real logic in these comments.  Bigotry doesn't rely on logic.

I think the issue is that people really loved BG1 & BG2.

This isnt canon, to the story or world, BG1 & 2 showed.

Its like when you read a book, and the movie based on the book, is somehow very differnt.

It annouys fans.

Also if the writeing is bad.... and it feels like its being forced down your throat.... its just done wrong.

Pretty much this, I honestly can't comment because I never got into BG, but from what I've heard the forced writing is garbage, and they don't flow with how the characters were written originally.  And nobody should be surprised, Amber Scott quite unabashedly states that's her intent.  She doesn't care about how characters had been previously written and she wanted to go in and inject whatever narrative she felt like.  And given how nobody seemed to care about the LGBT in The Witcher, and that game sold gangbusters, it's not logical to say gamer's hate transgender...more likely they hate bad writing, or writing that's inconsistent with the previous characters.

Imagine someone were to take the next season of Game of Thrones, and just completely switch up already established characters, really just force the narrative in there in a ham-fisted manner, just because it's a social issue.   You think that'd be welcomed with open arms?   No, no I don't think so.

Mythical creatures with beach-ball sized tits is perfectly reasonable, but a transgender character in a fantasy game? OH NO. WE NEED TO STOP. CALM DOWN EVERYONE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Roronaa_chan said:
CladInShadows said:

I wouldn't try to find any real logic in these comments.  Bigotry doesn't rely on logic.

He's talking about the writer's defence. The comments, while overblown, actually seem even more accurate after his reaction to them

So he is. My bad. I'm just gonna back out of this thread now because I can already see where it's going.

Around the Network

To be honest, there's a reason why there's hate- it is forced.

In Legend of Zelda, there was a transgender character(Sheik), in a time where they were less accepted than now. Did people bash on it? No, because the writers didn't make it where it's, "Hey, I'm transgender, and make it obvious for anyone but complete idiots".

The Witcher also had some LGBT characters. However, as I said before, it isn't forced.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

In Legend of Zelda, there was a transgender character(Sheik), in a time where they were less accepted than now. Did people bash on it? No, because the writers didn't make it where it's, "Hey, I'm transgender, and make it obvious for anyone but complete idiots".

The Witcher also had some LGBT characters. However, as I said before, it isn't forced.

sheik was never conceived as a "trangender" lol, she was just zelda in a disguise to not be recognized, she never wanted to be a man or feel like one or anything like that

hershel_layton said:

Yes.

The issue isnt that there are LGBT characters in games.

Its about this game world, being changed into something it wasnt in BG1, and BG2.

Now BG1.5 (this dlc expansion) makes the game very differnt from how its supposed to be in BG2 which is a continuation of BG1.

You cant just do a 1.5 game, and change characters from what storywise they are supposed to turn into in BG2.

It "breaks" away from the storytelling the game(s) did. It makes a joke of the story telling the games did in the first ones.

Also you cannot have references to gamergate, ect inside a game.

It breaks immersion of the game.

hershel_layton said:

Cross-dressing  =/=  being transgender.

Joan of Arc wasn't transgender.

There's been transgendered characters before in games there's wasn't any problem. Most likely, the character was badly written in/forced and Amber scott's writing in general is bad.