By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku - Sources: Sony Is Working On A ‘PS4.5’

Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution, developer sources tell Kotaku.

We don’t know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost, but from what we hear, Sony has started briefing developers.

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around four times the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles. The current PS4 can output 4K photos and videos, but cannot support 4K resolutions for games. With this upgrade, it would. Besides resolution, developers would have an opportunity to push more effects and other graphical tweaks to make their games look better, thanks to the new GPU.

A more powerful PS4 would also allow the machine to be more competitive with PCs in the world of virtual reality. With a higher-end GPU, the PS4 could more easily match up against the more expensive Oculus Rift and HTC Vive virtual reality headsets, which are designed to work with powerful PCs.

When contacted yesterday about this report, Sony declined to comment. “We can’t comment on rumors or speculation,” a spokesperson said in an e-mail.

The circle of people who knew about this upgraded PS4 was small until recently. I first heard about the device from one trusted source, then two. Kotaku’s Jason Schreier and Stephen Totilo were also able to independently verify the existence of these hardware plans with their own developer sources, although some of the details have been vague; one source told us that the device felt “exploratory” and that it may not even be released this year.

We’ve also heard that at this week’s Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Sony held meetings with developers about the hardware and how it would work. As we were chasing down this story, coincidentally, Kotaku UK EIC Keza MacDonald overheard some developers casually talking about the machine while on line at GDC. They mentioned the name ‘PS4.5’ and discussed its increased horsepower, mentioning both 4K resolution and PlayStation VR.

Our sources aren’t sure when this upgraded machine will ship to consumers, nor how much it will cost. The PS4’s price dropped from $400 to $350 last fall, and one source indicated that this new ‘PS4.5’ could let Sony keep selling PS4 hardware at a higher profit margin for $400.

There are still lots of big questions surrounding the device. Will Sony allow people to trade in their existing PS4s to buy the new machine? How will developers cope with releasing games on multiple types of hardware? Could some games only support PS4.5, as is the case with the New Nintendo 3DS? When this PS4 goes on sale, will Sony continue to sell old PS4 hardware at a lower price? How can Sony manage all this without fragmenting the market?

Right now, we don’t have the answer to those questions.

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Around the Network

nah..just a load of BS

No no no this better not be true I don't want to feel the need to buy another ps console until ps5

Unless the slim looks sexy.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The more I think the more I understand because of VR but I seriously hope this is bull

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

This would be the dumbest move in PlayStation history if Sony actually does this.

It is such a horrific idea it's not even funny.

If this console exists in any capacity, the PS4.5 might be able to output in 4K for video files/4K blu ray only. It will not affect games unless Sony wants to piss off both developers and their fan base.

Around the Network

CEO Kaz Hirai ‏@KazHiraiCEO
After PlayStation VR, and the leaked PS4.5, we have decided to change our slogan from the "Best Place to Play" to the "Best Place to Pay"

CEO Kaz Hirai ‏@KazHiraiCEO
The release of PlayStation 4.5 will be shortly followed by the release of PS4.51, which will be the same apart from a minor stability update

potato_hamster said:
This would be the dumbest move in PlayStation history if Sony actually does this.

It is such a horrific idea it's not even funny.

There are now rumors/speculation of Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo all allowing upgradable hardware. Do you think it would be dumb if all 3 go this route?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Console generations are basically going to end. I've said it many times before. MS is already pursuing this and so is Sony, Nintendo also has patents for upgradable consoles.

The business is changing, you guys will need to get used to it.

Will be very devisive unless current owners can easily and cheaply (<=$199) upgrade their current systems.

We know Nintendo did it with the N64DD but anyone with the tech knowledge know whether the PS4 could be upgraded hardware wise with a plug in accessory?

They do this and start releasing PS4.5 exclusive games i will abandon Playstation faster than The Flash can run