By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is sold out all over Japan and Nintendo isn’t talking

Last year, I stumbled upon on article from a Japanese media firm claiming that Nintendo had halted production on chips for the Wii U at 20m units after the 2014 holiday didn't light the world on fire.

Even if not true, it can't be denied that Nintendo has been content to under-ship products lately, if it means that they only spend exactly what's necessary on production costs. Looks like they don't want to buy back any Wii U's at the end of the year, even if it means that they cut into surging (Japanese market) sales right now.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

So how long is this expected to last in Japan?

Another sign the system is on its way out.

JWeinCom said:

Same thought I had when I read the article

StarOcean said:
JWeinCom said:

NX in 2016 is as confirmed as possible without actually being confirmed.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
JWeinCom said:

Will this fast track the ps4 to first place in Japan?  Home consoles obviously 

JWeinCom said:
StarOcean said:

Yeah, I really wonder what the hell the NX really is. I mean, it's almost guaranteed to be a home console, but they could take it so many ways. Will it be what the Wii was to the GC? Being a rearranged Wii U essentially? Will they go traditional like PS/XB (I doubt), or will they do something completely different? That's one thing I do love about Nintendo, they always keep you guessing XD

Signs of the new system? o:

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

OneKartVita said:
StarOcean said:

Will this fast track the ps4 to first place in Japan?  Home consoles obviously 

Depends most importantly on what releases on PS4 this year and how relevant they are to the Japanese market and what the NX is. We'll have the answer to that question by the end of E3. Too early to assume anything right now

StarOcean said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah, I really wonder what the hell the NX really is. I mean, it's almost guaranteed to be a home console, but they could take it so many ways. Will it be what the Wii was to the GC? Being a rearranged Wii U essentially? Will they go traditional like PS/XB (I doubt), or will they do something completely different? That's one thing I do love about Nintendo, they always keep you guessing XD

I feel like it sort of has to be something like the Wii in its focus and marketing at least.  The hardcore market is pretty satisfied with the PS4 at the moment, and it's almost impossible to see Nintendo taking that market away so far into the generation.  Only way I see Nintendo making a comeback is if they can recapture that Wii audience.