By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness is getting pirated hard — creator Jonathan Blow warns it’ll impact future projects

And this is why games should be released on consoles first before PC. it's messed up when most games on PC are pirated more than they are actually bought. Especially single player games.

Around the Network

It's the price that's doing it. I don't pirate as I wait for games like this to hit £5/10 on a steam sale, but I know a fair few gamers who can't believe the cost of this thing and are skipping or yarring it.

Right now on steam you have stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider £35.99, or the Witness at £29.99. I'm not doubting a ton of effort went into it. But you can't price so close to AAA for a vastly smaller downloadable game.

Boohoo!

The game basically gets free marketing, it's on the store front of both steam and the PSN. There's no avoiding this game, it's everywhere! I didn't even hear about it, nor did I care at all. But I just keep getting advertisements that want me to buy that game! Somehow it's hyped as fuck and I don't even know why. And now this guy is crying because of those bad bad pirates? Give me a break. I'm ver certain that the game is selling just fine. He's probably just pissed that it isn't the next Minecraft or something.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

As a PC gamer I also think this should've been released on consoles 3 months prior to PC. It would be a shame if this is the most pirated game, and fails to be a commercial success.

It's a wonderful game.

Is this an indie game? It's not often you see an indie game that sells for $40...

Around the Network

I can't wait for the incoming generalizations, oh wait it's already happening.

Piracy sucks but so does not having a demo, the 90's brought us so many of those in various ways and the methods they chose.

Also those that always pirate aren't likely to be your customers in the end. I don't condone piracy but I'm not paying full price for the title as is and instead I've put it on my wishlist till it goes a bit lower. Price point is playing a majoor factor for me, it's likely playing an important part for a lot of others as well and this generally happens with thousands if not millions of products when it comes to high prices and deemed value.

If you wish to inject DRM into your future projects then you are only punishing your future and loyal consumers,. You won't get a sale from me with that approach.

That said I know for a fact this article is going to be remembered this year on purpose by some and brought up later when sales data is calculated, got to grab ammo from somewhere and keep the war going I guess.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I'd love to see a game released for $40 or $60 like The Witness or No Man's Sky with absolutely no information whatsoever. Then when people are talking about how wonderful it is or are discussing how well it scored on Metacritic, just drop in casually 'They're Indie titles.' It would fun to watch how the internet dealt with it. There would be a shortage of rocks to climb under.

The PS5 Exists. 

This does not mean the game is not having success on Steam, it was the best selling game of the platform at release.

Yeah, I'm sure the article really got those pirates to open their wallets.

lol... pc, i'm dropping several hundred dollars for a gpu but want my games free, race strikes again.

User was moderated for this post - Zekkyou