By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Twilight Princess HD Screenshots (High quality)

On first reveal, I wasn't that impressed, but then I saw side by side comparison, it really shows how much they touched up on it. There is so much detail on just about everything. Carvings and symbols on walls, the texture on clothing, the armor of that lizard faced guy...? Forgot his name, but the detail on his headgear is just... Wow. Also, I never knew TP was so blurry.

I take by my previous statements on TPHD.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
captain carot said:
curl-6 said:

For the record, I deeply dislike Wind Waker's art style. For me, Twilight Princess looks better, aesthetically anyway. 

As for WWHD, even disregarding resolution, which is still a pretty big differentiator at 480p vs 1080p, I reckon it still looks massively different from the GC original courtesy of its new lighting model and the redone textures.

Haha, i dislike it too.

Sure, WW HD looks different. But at the same time WW GC without all those changes but in HD also looks good. And often not that much different. I'd really say that TP HD would've benefited more from an overhaul as big as Wind Wakers, even if it keeps the low poly meshes.

Agreed. TP has the best art style to date, the screens from OP show just how wonderful it is. If they gave the port a tiny bit of love, the game would be stunning again. Better lightning, more poligons in the environment, improve the grass (Zelda U inspiration possible) and you have a game worthy of a full retail release instead of a quick cheap cash grab.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

S.Peelman said:
sc94597 said:

Here's some screenshots from Dolphin. I have the Wii version, so unfortunately I have to use an outdated texture pack that isn't as good as some of the ones for the GC version. 

What happened here? Looks like something puked all over the floor and in the second one that font is hurting my eyes!

If you have ever been in a cave, that is what the ground looks like in them. The ground is more mud than dirt. 

I actually prefer the text. 

That isn't to say this texture pack doesn't have problems. There is a lot of flickering in Hyrule Field. That was why I expected more from a prefessional remaster. 

Looking great to me. Will definitely be replaying this one.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

curl-6 said:
captain carot said:

Haha, i dislike it too.

Sure, WW HD looks different. But at the same time WW GC without all those changes but in HD also looks good. And often not that much different. I'd really say that TP HD would've benefited more from an overhaul as big as Wind Wakers, even if it keeps the low poly meshes.

In that we are agreed. Updating the lighting model from DX7 level to DX10/11 level would have greatly improved the overall look.

Still, I get the sense that this is a rather modestly budgeted production, without the investment required to heavily rework the graphics. Nintendo might also have Tantalus on a very short leash as far as changing the original designs.

That basically is the point. Maybe i expected to much, but i expected a bit more. At least some meshes changed for more detailed versions, new fx, new lighting.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
captain carot said:

Haha, i dislike it too.

Agreed. TP has the best art style to date, the screens from OP show just how wonderful it is. If they gave the port a tiny bit of love, the game would be stunning again. Better lightning, more poligons in the environment, improve the grass (Zelda U inspiration possible) and you have a game worthy of a full retail release instead of a quick cheap cash grab.

I think just the new lighting with dynamic shadows would help immensely.  Polygon improvements would mainly help in a few key spots like Hyrule Castle and certain landscape meshes.  The grass thing though is an interesting point and may be a case where the game is a victim of its tech.  The way grass is handled in Twilight Princess isn't intended for having tons of it covering every square foot of ground.  It may be quite impossible to do within the old engine.

However, I am curious about seeing what tthe grass that is there looks like.  They haven't shown any pics in the areas that already have a lot.

Scisca said:
captain carot said:

Haha, i dislike it too.

In order to TP be stunning again it would need full remake not HD port/remaster. And they certainly give this HD port more than tiny bit of love, just replacing all those textures was huge job. Actually I think TP HD was bigger job than doing WW HD, but because of different art style, WW HD looks much better. But TP HD definitely would have new lithinging.

Miyamotoo said:
Scisca said:
captain carot said:

Haha, i dislike it too.

In order to TP be stunning again it would need full remake not HD port/remaster. And they certainly give this HD port more than tiny bit of love, just replacing all those textures was huge job. Actually I think TP HD was bigger job than doing WW HD, but because of different art style, WW HD looks much better. But TP HD definitely would have new lithinging.

It is very possible that the textures are just the original textures uncompressed (like in WWHD.) When creating standard definition games Nintendo would create high-quality textures and then compress them. In some games like the Metroid Prime series it doesn't even seem like they compressed them, it just wasn't noticeable until you would play them in HD. So the textures in TP (original) are compressed, and the ones in TP (Wii U) are not. No new textures would have to be created in that scenario. 

sc94597 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Scisca said:
captain carot said:

Haha, i dislike it too.

It is very possible that the textures are just the original textures uncompressed (like in WWHD.) When creating standard definition games Nintendo would create high-quality textures and then compress them. In some games like the Metroid Prime series it doesn't even seem like they compressed them, it just wasn't noticeable until you would play them in HD. So the textures in TP (original) are compressed, and the ones in TP (Wii U) are not. No new textures would have to be created in that scenario. 

That's exactly what I think of this port. Even DS games have assets of higher quality than what Wii was able to put on screen, it's obvious that the original TP assets were of a much higher quality than what the game looked like on Wii. I'm sensing that this port took them even less effort than it looks.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:

TP has the best art style to date

Finally, someone else who appreciates the darker style of TP. :D