Forums - Music Discussion - Do you consider METAL, techno, screamo, etc music or just entertainment?

Music or just entertainment

M 71 81.61%
 
E 2 2.30%
 
neither 3 3.45%
 
other, explain 2 2.30%
 
see results 5 5.75%
 
Jackie CHan MEme ( WHat, I do not even) 4 4.60%
 
Total:87
CladInShadows said:

Music isn't exclusively defined in black and white, anyways. Which is why this thread exists. What is music and (especially) what is considered GOOD music varies from person to person, and from culture to culture.  Which is why music that originates from Ireland, Africa, Sweden, India, and Compton will all vary greatly.  Sure, there's a lot of cross contamination, but certain conditions and political climates will foster different music in different parts of the world. 

Since I know that a good portion of the population would scoff at the music I listen to and question its musical relevance, I have come to accept that even though there's a lot of styles out there that I strongly dislike (rap comes to mind), I can't deny that millions/billions of people love it and absolutely consider it music. I don't have the right to say it is or isn't music.

What did you think of the Hail Santa clip?



Around the Network

progressive metal is just about as pretentious as you can get with music, and I love it. Symphony x, Dream Theater, 30 minute epic magun opus tracks, guitar solos as long as your average pop song. They're all inspired by pink Floyd and rush, jazz elements, symphony x incorporates classical music into their work. So yea it's music. But I don't know what you mean by entertainment? Like dubstep?



FaptinPlanet said:
progressive metal is just about as pretentious as you can get with music, and I love it. Symphony x, Dream Theater, 30 minute epic magun opus tracks, guitar solos as long as your average pop song. They're all inspired by pink Floyd and rush, jazz elements, symphony x incorporates classical music into their work. So yea it's music. But I don't know what you mean by entertainment? Like dubstep?


You should try 7th wonder the great escape, wonderful album with a 30 minuten programma metal track. Iron Maiden's empire of the clouds also sounds like something you would enjoy.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

padib said:
CladInShadows said:

Music isn't exclusively defined in black and white, anyways. Which is why this thread exists. What is music and (especially) what is considered GOOD music varies from person to person, and from culture to culture.  Which is why music that originates from Ireland, Africa, Sweden, India, and Compton will all vary greatly.  Sure, there's a lot of cross contamination, but certain conditions and political climates will foster different music in different parts of the world. 

Since I know that a good portion of the population would scoff at the music I listen to and question its musical relevance, I have come to accept that even though there's a lot of styles out there that I strongly dislike (rap comes to mind), I can't deny that millions/billions of people love it and absolutely consider it music. I don't have the right to say it is or isn't music.

What did you think of the Hail Santa clip?

Did I like it?  Well, it definitely generated a feeling of unease, which tends to happen when dissonance is employed.  I used to own this album back in the day and quite often turned it off before the final track, but I don't dislike it.

Is it music?  Absolutely. And I don't think anybody can deny that it is.



CladInShadows said:
padib said:

What did you think of the Hail Santa clip?

Did I like it?  Well, it definitely generated a feeling of unease, which tends to happen when dissonance is employed.  I used to own this album back in the day and quite often turned it off before the final track, but I don't dislike it.

Is it music?  Absolutely. And I don't think anybody can deny that it is.

I think it's debatable. When the music's key feature is "unmusic", noise, or disharmony, can it be called music?

That was the point of the video



Around the Network
padib said:
CladInShadows said:

Did I like it?  Well, it definitely generated a feeling of unease, which tends to happen when dissonance is employed.  I used to own this album back in the day and quite often turned it off before the final track, but I don't dislike it.

Is it music?  Absolutely. And I don't think anybody can deny that it is.

I think it's debatable. When the music's key feature is "unmusic", noise, or disharmony, can it be called music?

That was the point of the video

I disagree, but I suppose that's where the debate part comes in, eh? :)



CladInShadows said:
padib said:

I think it's debatable. When the music's key feature is "unmusic", noise, or disharmony, can it be called music?

That was the point of the video

I disagree, but I suppose that's where the debate part comes in, eh? :)

Exactly. At least we understand each other on that.



padib said:
Toxy said:

I'm not the one who is using their opinion to determine what is and is not music. There is a difference between opinion and fact. That was the whole purpose of me using the earth is flat etc. They were an analogy. I used these analogies as a means to say that your opinion does not change something by its definition. So if the earth is spherical, you cannot say that in your opinion it is not. Just like you cannot say that in your opinion, this is not music, because by definition it is music, just as the earth is spherical. I was not saying you literally believe these things, I was merely saying that your thought process was akin to these things. You were denying fact. That was all I was trying to convey. 
I apologise if I did not convey this clearly. However, my point still stands.

It's not a nice thing to say and it doesn't further your point. It's an easy exit to an argument about what something is, fundamentally.

The definition of music is offered to us by what people over time have considered music. As you said music has changed radically over the years so that definition was refined until everything everyone today considers music can fit.

But I gave you a very good argument. If I sent you a recording of me singing like a goof, with a proper time signature and a common rock structure, you might have a hard time calling it music. You might laugh and call it comedy, or you might cringe and say it's so bad it's hard to call music.

I'm pushing it to the extreme to simply make a point.

Again, I don't think all screamo is not music and I never said that.

I appreciate your apology and I apologize if my point of view upset you. But let's talk about it without taking jabs at each other, it's all I'm asking. I also wanted to say that the feces argument was vulgar I admit, but I used it just to make a point.

Sure there are some things that stand out that are or can be considered music. But someone banging on a drum and another guy screaming words you cannot understand into a microphone is not music. Do we consider the Blue Man group music just because they also bang on drums, or do we consider what they do entertainment?

If kids or adults like this stuff then more power to them. This is not what this is about and i am not trying to diminish your enjoyment of the entertainment. But other than having a talent for being able to blast gutteral hell into a microphone, there is nothing else involved. Many times I have even seen people just take background music from free internet sites. So in actuality, the actual band or group has no real talent.

 

Lucky I did not call it what it really is. Noise.



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I consider John Cage's works music, so I guess that's your answer. Really anything that has the intent of being music is music to me. I do enjoy all kinds of music. That includes screamo, industrial, speedcore and jpop.

I don't know where you're going with the seperation of music and entertainment when music is one part of entertainment. Every piece of music is entertainment. Everything in this world revolves around entertainment so I don't know where you get off calling anything "just" entertainment when it's at the core of our continued existence.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

People who write their own music, is not a entertainer. THE end



 

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90