By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei IV official website: ‘In 15,000 tweets, a disaster will begin’

One question, does SMT IV follow the mechanics of Soul Hackers? Because I've only played two SMT games (Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor), and I don't like the Soul Hackers gameplay.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
So its a sequel/prequel for the 3DS coming out in Feb 2016.

Naice

I need to get SMTIV now ;o

i'm halfway thru.  don't expect the game to be easy.  i'm new to the series and it is somewhat hard in a sense. and i hate the too much random monsters.

Dusk said:

Perhaps sucked is the wrong word. However, I disliked it very much. It's the only SMT game I have played and I was sorely disappointed with it.Not sure why I keep referring to it in the past tense, I still own it. But I don't plan to play it again.

Don't try to convince me to play it more to like it cause I have put a good amount of time into the game, more than I really should have since I wasn't enjoying it. It shouldn't be a point of forcing myself to play a game to get to a point where I like it or appreciate it.

Not for me. 

That's fine. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon, and I disliked XY very much, but I'd never say it sucks. It's likely the same situation, where the mechanics and everything are the best in the series, but that doesn't shine through to you because of how much it drops the ball in many instances. I loved the game, but it has many, frustrating flaws and I liked it more for the potential of the franchise than for the game itself. I dig the atmosphere, and the battle system, and fusing demons. Love the music, and the exploration, and the world building. I digged the story (in the beginning) and the characters (in the beginning). Then it dragged on for way to long, the story got worse, and the main cast became so one note it was a struggle to enjoy.

But honestly, I fear the last issue is more a symptom of the franchise's stupid law vs chaos story mechanic, rather than specifically this game as, from what I've read, the other SMT games are much more sparse when it comes to storytelling. Nocturne was, at least.

Either way, I welcome criticisms of the game. Much of my enjoyment of it comes from having never played any Atlas game through, let alone any SMT game. I just don't want to come off looking like I think the game is amazing. I think it dropped the ball. But what a ball.

Pavolink said:

I hate Navarre.

Everyone hates Naverre. That's the point.

DerNebel said:

It's not really something I'd argue about anyway. I feel completely comfortable with my opinon on Persona and feel no need at all to argue for it or defend it. Your opinion differs? That's cool, I don't mind.

Btw. I do respect SMT as a series for its darker stories, but I've only ever played Strange Journey and gave up after a couple hours, reducing the game to a pure dungeon crawler is simply not for me.

I would try another SMT game before you give up on it. Strange Journey lacks the presentation and production values that some of the other games, have. Remember, Persona is a dungeon crawler, too. Being able to see your avatar traverse the dungeons makes a huge difference in immersion. I haven't played SJ, soi I can't comment on how good it is, but the things turning me off is the first person dungeon crawling, which isn't an issue in SMT IV, random encounters, which isn't an issue in SMT IV, and no voice acting, which isn't an issue in SMT IV. And there's an explorable overworld, like in Persona. I'd try that one (or hey, this one) at least before assuming that the franchise isn't for you. Presentation goes a long way.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Oh please no... not Yasushi Nirasawa's artwork again for some of the demons...
I'm refering to the one on the far left that looks like Merkabah. Many of the demons he created looked repuslsive and out of place compared to the rest of the artwork from Masayuki Doi.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how this game turns out. But a lot of things in Shin megami Tensei IV turned me off from it, so I'm not as hopeful for this one as I was for SMT IV. Cautiously optimistic though.
And yeah, that looks like ghost Navarre. lol

While I agree with everything, I'm desperate for an SMT that isn't completely tainted by Persona yet that I will gladly take this. If it's only as good as IV, I'll be happy. If it's a bit worse than IV, I'll be happy. Because at least it feels like SMT.

But yeah, his demon designs suck. Though it makes sense that they're using the same artists since this is likely only happening because they want to recycle old assets and the engine from IV, which I'm 100% fine with. And to go further, Masayuki Doi's character designs don't belong in mainline SMT, either.

I'm actually glad this is just a spin off, because this means they can bring back Kaneko for SMTV when it comes to the NX and uses the P5 engine. Please.

Some people thing the blond chick is Nozomi, the chick from that optional (unless you were unfortunate enough to get the neutral path) side quest.

And this is where I need to media block this game. Too many spoilers.

...Who am I kidding?

For the record, that's SMT4F, P5, PkmnZ, Fates, and #FE coming out in 2016 in the West. Great time to be a JRPG lover.

Pavolink said:
spemanig said:

Lmao, is that green ghost Navarre?

I hate Navarre.

That's because you're one of those low-born Casualries.

spemanig said:

Some people thing the blond chick is Nozomi, the chick from that optional (unless you were unfortunate enough to get the neutral path) side quest.

And this is where I need to media block this game. Too many spoilers.

...Who am I kidding?

I'm not expecting characters from SMTIV to be in this new one. Not even Nozomi.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile