By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Oculus Rift Will Cost “More than $350”

SvennoJ said:
kitler53 said:

yeah but just compare the specs:  http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-rift-vs-playstation-vr/

OR's resolution is much higher.

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

OR's constellation tracking system uses infrared tech which is more expensive tech than the visual light that ps uses.

OR ships with an xbox one controller which i promise won't be the case with psvr since it's being built for ps4 where everyone has to already have one.

psvr is cheaper to produce.  it has to be or sony is doing it wrong.

Does OR use an RGB screen now or still a pentile display like the DK2 version?
Otherwise the resolution is not actually higher and psvr has the more expensive screen.

PSVR has a higher refresh rate, I wonder if it will come with some kind of frame interpolation hardware to reach 120 fps that will add to the cost.

afaik both are using OLED now and are very comparable displayes other than resolution of which i think normchacho is right,.. OR is now shipping with 2 screens (one per eye) while psvr is spliting a single screen.

i know both psvr and OR have the frame interpolation features part of the hardware to "double" framerates.

Around the Network

I cannot help it but I get the feeling these "first-wave" VR-sets should still be at the prototype-stage. Like 5-10years later these machines will be seen simply as junk. Price alone tells me to keep away from VR at this point.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

kitler53 said:
Scoobes said:
kitler53 said:

yeah but just compare the specs:  http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-rift-vs-playstation-vr/

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

OR's constellation tracking system uses infrared tech which is more expensive tech than the visual light that ps uses.

OR ships with an xbox one controller which i promise won't be the case with psvr since it's being built for ps4 where everyone has to already have one.

PSVR will have to ship with move controller though and the camera.

no they don't, the ps4 pad will be the standard just like how OR is shipping with an xbox pad and their motion controller thing is sold seperatly.  also there are like 30 million move controllers sold,.. i have 2.   and a charging station.  and a nav.  and a ps4 camera. 

they'll sell just the headset as an option.  there will also be a bundle with the camera.  maybe even a premium bundle that also has a move controller.  the headset/camera bundle with what i think retails for $300.  $250 for just the headset.  $350 for headset, camera, move, and nav.  that's my prediction.   maybe subtact $50 of of each if sony is particularly bullish.

30mill???? Where did that number come from?

Xxain said:
kitler53 said:
Scoobes said:
kitler53 said:

OR has higher FoV.

OR has magmetometers.

PSVR will have to ship with move controller though and the camera.

no they don't, the ps4 pad will be the standard just like how OR is shipping with an xbox pad and their motion controller thing is sold seperatly.  also there are like 30 million move controllers sold,.. i have 2.   and a charging station.  and a nav.  and a ps4 camera. 

they'll sell just the headset as an option.  there will also be a bundle with the camera.  maybe even a premium bundle that also has a move controller.  the headset/camera bundle with what i think retails for $300.  $250 for just the headset.  $350 for headset, camera, move, and nav.  that's my prediction.   maybe subtact $50 of of each if sony is particularly bullish.

I know that in late 2012 Sony said they had sold over 15 million move controllers.

Edit: We haven't had a Camera sales update in a long time, but we know that in March of 2014 They had sold over 900K of them.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Xxain said:
kitler53 said:

i don't have an exact number but early 2012 sony said 10.5 million and late 2012 sony said over 15 million.  the numbers were for controllers which is why i say i have 2.  probably under 30M but my "like 30m" statement didn't really imply it was an exact number anyways.  the point is there are a lot of move controllers in the hands of playstation console owners already which means a move controller doesn't have to be bundeled with psvr thus lowering the price of entry for many people like myself.

Around the Network

I'm really pathetic and have no friends. Please excuse the trolling message that used to be here, I don't know any better.

vivster said:
TheGreatGamerGod said:

"Analysts predict there will be 11 million VR users by 2016"

Then you see the price and go...

And then there are 11 million people buying iPhones on day one that cost twice as much.

Not saying it's going to be big, just that price is a mere small hindrance when you do your marketing right.

Yup. You've hit the nail on the head there mate. If Oculus do their marketing right then VR gaming is going to be HUUUUUGE. Let's not forget that Oculus Rift has the marketing power of Facebook behind it as well as the financial power of Facebook too. All it needs is a decent marketing campaign and big demo stations regularly placed in Shopping Malls and supermarkets around the world (because VR is something that needs to be experienced for it to sell).

I'm jumping into VR gaming as soon as I possibly can. Am building a Beast of a PC next month (i7 6700K, Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard, 16GB of DDR4), will be using the iGPU until I can get a Radeon R9 Fury X in May next year and then buying Oculus Rift in November next year.

This is a VERY exciting time for me personally, I've been dreaming of VR gaming before most gamers have been born lol.