By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Don’t use waterproof Xperia phones underwater

tinfamous12 said:
They tried to get some phone sales via false advertising. Oh Sony....

Well it worked for the PS4

We have lots fo games comign out on PS4. Lots of devd working on it

size 1 font in Terms and Conditions of ad - most these games may come out sometime in 2016 but lilkely 2017 and if it is square then don't count on a date for 10 years lol.

Around the Network

LG flex 2 has a self healing back but LG don't recommend you go scratching your phone. Gorilla glass 3 is accident proof but they don't recommend you purposefully drop your phone. Your Z phone can function underwater but they don't recommend you do it.

I still do it all the time. The thing is when people damage their phones over time the waterproofing can be compromised, and if they her a screen replacement it will no longer be waterproof.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Azzanation said:
Its sort of sad how people in here aren't taking this too seriously. False advertising is simply not on. Those pictures used is a clear indication of a company trying to out do its competitors and that is simply lying. Sorry but if this was MS, I am sure there would be a lot of hate mail right about now, But its Sony, who cares, the phones good regardless attitude is why Corps try to get away with this all the time.

It's not false advertising because the phones are waterproof. Sony just realises people are not careful enough with the phones so best to suggest people don't do any underwater stuff.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Mr Puggsly said:
Teeqoz said:
I know my friend does stuff like that with his Xperia all the time. It works, they just don't reccomend people to do it.

They advertised its ability to be underwater... but tell people not to do it?

You don't see an issue there?

Yes... like those cars that can do 200mph but are advised to be used under 70mph.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Have people considered that a lot of people drop their phones, can generate tiny fissures that they don't see, damage seals... and even in those cases they would claim that the phone wasn't water proof??? Or for some idiotic reason would go with the cell for a 100m dive and the pressure would go in? I have had perfectly working watches that were water proof (100M) that in pool had water in, and could be a problem of wear and small impacts suffered or poor quality, but since they were quite used I can't be sure.

My iphone 5S cracked the glass inside my pocket, and gets hot even on standby (the screen stays black without being able to use, even though it's working)... I'm still waiting for when they will make a class action sue against Apple for the poor glass they use, the percentage of people who have broken glass is quite big.

And very funny the number of people that entered the thread just to sling shit at sony

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Its sort of sad how people in here aren't taking this too seriously. False advertising is simply not on. Those pictures used is a clear indication of a company trying to out do its competitors and that is simply lying. Sorry but if this was MS, I am sure there would be a lot of hate mail right about now, But its Sony, who cares, the phones good regardless attitude is why Corps try to get away with this all the time.

You do realize that the phones are independently tested and certified as waterproof by an outside agency, right?  I mean, you do understand that, right?  Before you start talking about false advertising, you might want to learn what it means first.

On topic, Sony is probably getting what they consider an unacceptable number of water damage claims.  People not checking ports before they jump in a pool, phones that have been dropped or taken damage that compromises the seals, phones not rinsed off after exposure to pool chemicals or salt water, people deliberately letting in water to get a new phone.  There will always be an acceptable level of manufacturing defects, as well, and it's possible that's too high.

Honestly, I imagine there are thousands of claims where the failure is the consumer's fault but they lied in order to get a free replacement.  Normally, that's factored in and accounted for, as everyone knows it's going to happen, but the issue with water is that you're counting on everyone using common sense and that's just not going to happen.  Even if the engineering department doesn't realize this, the marketing arm should.

LOL thread title is hilarious. Seems like something Colbert would say on the Colbert Report.

Not surprised to see the defending of it, either. Pretty blatant false advertising. The phones are obviously not built to be used underwater with enough consistency.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Teeqoz said:
I know my friend does stuff like that with his Xperia all the time. It works, they just don't reccomend people to do it.

They advertised its ability to be underwater... but tell people not to do it?

You don't see an issue there?

Yes... like those cars that can do 200mph but are advised to be used under 70mph.

thats just BS, the roads and drivers in some countrys are just so bad that they shouldnt drive above 70 mph.

there arent that many cars that can drive 200mph, and i guess it isnt realy fun, you get very tired if you drive more than 130mph.

and i never seen any advice in a car or from a car maker that said it should be used under 70mph.  that comes from government of countrys with bad drivers and bad roads, and its quite usefull for those countrys

There have been a bunch of reports and a few borderline posts in this thread. So consider this a friendly warning: stay on topic and don't use this thread as a platform to troll Sony's other business ventures, or each other for that matter.

Thank you.

Btw. Sony always said to not use the phones in water with chlorine in it, which includes most pools on this planet. They also always said to not use it in salt water.

Just sayin'

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.