By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SEGA President on home console market: "We’ve learned a lot about the western market from Atlus"; hoping to announce new game at TGS

Plenty of other interesting quotes in there:

"I do want to make an announcement of some sort."

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Sega-Pres_07-07-15.jpg

Famitsu this week has an interview with Sega president Haruki Satomi, who discusses the current console market, quality in game development, and teases a potential announcement for the Tokyo Game Show in September. 

Get the quotes below.

How are you thinking about the current home console market?

Satomi: “Looking at the Japanese domestic market, you get the impression things are pretty rough, but globally, the PS4 has had the fastest console sales in history, so I think there are opportunities out there.

“I’m feeling a particular response from Asia. The Chinese version of Yakuza 0 sold more than expected.

We’ve learned a lot about the western market from Atlus. If we can deliver high-quality titles to fans of Japanese games, I think we have a decent chance of making it overseas.”

What specific efforts are you putting into your future home console games?

“Right now, I talk to our team about stressing quality over all else. The west is very schedule-oriented, but that means that if we can’t maintain our usual quality on a project, we shouldn’t put it out. Old Sega worked hard to establish a level of trust with its fans, but when I take a hard look at the past 10 years, I can see there have been some titles that betrayed that trust.”

Can we expect a high-quality title to be released during the second half of the year?

“Since we’re focused on quality, I can’t make any promises, but I do want to make an announcement of some sort regarding a home console game at the Tokyo Game Show.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/07/sega-current-console-market-potential-tgs-announcement#wI5g4qRZ7EFbXpsc.99

Around the Network

So wait, they thought they could deliver medicore game and titles and have a chance of making it overseas before? That's just stupid!

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Sounds like a quality over quantity, mentality shift.

Honestly thats probably a good thing. The gameing market isnt easy, theres alot of great titles out there competeing, and if your game isnt up to snuff its just going to get lost in a endless sea of other games.

Just bring Yakuza 0 to the rest of the world

So they key to succeed is to produce quality products? Who would have thought!?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I honestly don't understand why they're not pushing Yakuza more in the west.

Bring Ishin to the West.

Sega, Sega, Sega there is one thing you have to make: Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PS4 (and other consoles, I don't really care about that)

I was hoping Sega would keep it's interactions with Atlus at minimum. But it's ok as long as the newly adopted prodigy child is the one influencing the juvenile parent company.

.- -... -.-. -..

The_Sony_Girl1 said:
So wait, they thought they could deliver medicore game and titles and have a chance of making it overseas before? That's just stupid!

You missed the key word: Japanese.

They didn't think that quality Japanese-centric games would sell well in the west. Atlus has shown them the error of their thinking.