By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft “completely discounted Nintendo” when launching Xbox 360

Watch the thread go into how Wii U is not outselling PS4 and Xbox One.

Microsoft's foray into the gaming industry has been well worth it, just for the amount of amusing wars they've created. At some points, it has been like watching a cartoon. Reminds me of SEGA does what Nintendon't.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
MoHasanie said:

Everybody underestimated the Wii. I don't think anyone could have predicted it would be so successful.

And that first to 10m wins thing is silly since the 360 still came in third place.

Maybe worldwide, but it's the US that matters and 360 is second here and close to #1.

360 has been #1 is North America for a while. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Samus Aran said:
teigaga said:

Do you not think N64 differentiated itself back then,  Nintendo's unique 1st party portfolio especially with Rare, its superior control pad and PC ports which weren't possible on playstation hardware. The Gamecube however didn't offer anything gaming wise that the PS2 didn't. I loved the platform but the gamecube didn't even have great platformers lol. It didn't excel the PS2 in anyway other then its graphical capabilities.

PS2's JRPGs, Action games, adventure games, fighting games >>>>

Xbox's FPS's, Western RPGS >>>>

Gamecube??? (Party games?)

Uhhh...

First of all, lot's of PS2 games looked bad and ran poorly on the thing, it was hard to develop for. GC was cheaper, more powerful and easier to develop for. I love Battlefront, but it's a pain to play today because they barely used colour in that game. It's very grainy.

Let's also completely ignore games like Resident Evil 4 (the superior version), Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 1, Metroid Prime 2, Super Mario Sunshine (a great platformer, unlike those PS2 R & C games people call platformers for some reason), Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin 1, Pikmin 2, Star Fox Adventures (Zelda clone), Soul Calibur II (it has progressive scan, PS2 version doesn't,oh and it has Link), Eternal Darkness (a horror game that is actually scary, truly a once in a generation game), Mario Kart: Double Dash (60 fps, even when playing with 4 people locally), Paper Mario: the thousand year door, etc.

Not to mention that you couldn't even play with 4 people locally on the PS2 without buying an extra add-on. 

So what games on the PS2 are like Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin and Super Smash Bros. Melee?

How is it related to what he said?

Samus Aran said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Samus Aran said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I feel with N64 and beyond Nintendo decided to focus gaming experiences Sony wasn't offering or didn't do as well. Hence, Nintendo got the hell out the way of Sony. SNES was the Playstation of the 4th gen. Nintendo became something else after that.

MS came in wanting to take on Sony directly and had undeniable success. Even the people that hate Xbox should atleast admit they made Sony better because they forced them to work harder. I can't say Nintendo did the same. Even now Nintendo makes little effort to compete with Xbox and Playstation.

Still if you look at the sales of Goldeneye 007 mature games could do well on the N64. Very well.

As I said, "Nintendo decided to focus gaming experiences Sony wasn't offering or didn't do as well."

Part of the reason FPS games were so successful on N64 was because they were mostly garbage on PS1. Hence, console shooting fans flocked to N64. Playstation had no answer to that.

Then why were there so many platform fans on PS1?

Shots fired. :p

PS1 had Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sony came in when the competition was weak. Also, Sony was in a finanically better position. PS1 won by default, N64 and Saturn were a mess.

Which is why Im glad MS came into the console fray. The industry needed a company willing to take big risks even against a mega company like Sony.

lol wut?

Sony was huge when they launched but so was MS.  MS was doing fine financially in 01.  Sony takes plenty of risks software wise and MS is more of a mega company than Sony

You've somehow misconstrued my post.

I'm basically saying Sony would have crushed any competition unless it was a big company that was willing to throw money around like Sony.

MS spent a lot of money to challenge Sony directly, not many were willing to do that.

oh I see.  Still I think Nintendo took risks and was doing fine financially to challenge Sony.  I'm not that big into online stuff which is mainly what we have to thank MS for as far as consoles go.  I also kinda loathe them for making two weapon limits and regen health a standard in FPS games due to their most popular franchise always going that route.  Oh well at least online folks can enjoy their advancement in that area of the industry and there are other genres for me to enjoy than FPS

Halo didn't make Two Weapon Limits. And it had regen shields, not health.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Around the Network

"Because they came off the GameCube and it was a disaster."

So using MS logic I can discount the next Xbox? It is a silly reason to discount another company lol

Mr Puggsly said:

Sony came in when the competition was weak. Also, Sony was in a finanically better position. PS1 won by default, N64 and Saturn were a mess.

Which is why Im glad MS came into the console fray. The industry needed a company willing to take big risks even against a mega company like Sony.

Wait... are you calling Nintendo and Sega weak after SNES/Mega Drive? O.O

SNES / Mega Drive were super strong when Sony launched PlayStation and Saturn/N64 did put a tie a tie competition...

ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

SNES / Mega Drive were super strong when Sony launched PlayStation and Saturn/N64 did put a tie a tie competition...

No... I'm saying Saturn and N64 were weak follow ups. Both sold significantly less than their predecessors because of mistakes made by Sega and Nintendo.

That made it easier for Playstation to dominate. Especially since Sony was embracing 3rd parties and CDs were cheap to produce.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

No... I'm saying Saturn and N64 were weak follow ups. Both sold significantly less than their predecessors because of mistakes made by Sega and Nintendo.

That made it easier for Playstation to dominate. Especially since Sony was embracing 3rd parties and CDs were cheap to produce.

But the PS1 didn't just win by default. They were brilliant in the way they were able to exploit a demograph (young adults) that hadn't been exploited before. All of a sudden, gaming was "cool" and not just something a nerd did. I remember, I was about 16 when it launched. Gaming was accepted in highschool after that and become a part of pop culture.

That, to me, is the genius behind the PS1.

AlfredoTurkey said:

But the PS1 didn't just win by default. They were brilliant in the way they were able to exploit a demograph (young adults) that hadn't been exploited before. All of a sudden, gaming was "cool" and not just something a nerd did. I remember, I was about 16 when it launched. Gaming was accepted in highschool after that and become a part of pop culture.

That, to me, is the genius behind the PS1.

By not making stupid moves, PS kinda won by default. Sega and Nintendo were making bad moves at the time... and still do.

Young adults were going to be gamers regardless of Playstation because many were already gamers. Great mature games were coming from 3rd parties, not Sony. Gaming was apart of pop culture even before Playstation. I don't buy this argument, I saw plenty of teenagers and young adults crowding the arcades.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)