By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Metroid Thread - Samus is back!

Tagged games:

Would you mind if Prime 4 has more casual friendly elements?

Yes, it'd help open up th... 1 1.64%

No, it'd hurt the core gameplay. 3 4.92%

Undecided/See results 0 0%

Total:4
CarcharodonKraz said:
mZuzek said:

I recommend you start with Zero Mission and work your way up from there. Super is the best game for sure, but it's nice to play the story chronologically. Not like story matters too much in Metroid, but still, I do think it's nicer that way.

That said, for as much as everyone recommends the remakes, I do think the originals are more... "true". Like, the whole extra chapter thing at the end of Zero Mission, and all the little details (and some not so little) that were changed in Samus Returns, I can't see these games as canon. They're much improved versions of old games, but the new changes just don't feel like part of the story to me. For that reason I really didn't mind the ending change in Samus Returns, as I thought it was pretty awesome gameplay-wise. Also it was just so obviously gonna happen, I was already emotionally prepared for it.

That said, if you want a more true-to-the-original remake of Metroid 2, there's always AM2R, the PC fan remake of it. It's a really great game, too, and it's much closer to the source material than Samus Returns is.

So I'd recommend you play Zero Mission, then AM2R, then Super Metroid, then Fusion.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I dont think most of those games can be played on a tv screen. I dont like handhelds. I already own super on the classic.  I do really wish 10do would drop a 2d collection cart for switch.

Both Zero Mission and Fusion are available on the Wii U, I believe. If you don't own that, oh well.

AM2R is a PC game, so as long as you can connect a PC to a TV screen, you can play that on a TV too.

Around the Network

Both Zero Mission and Fusion are available on the Wii U, I believe. If you don't own that, oh well.

AM2R is a PC game, so as long as you can connect a PC to a TV screen, you can play that on a TV too.

Oh thanks for the heads up on that. I may bust out the u to download those.

So the Metroid franchise turned 34 a couple of days ago! Unfortunately, there wasn't any official recognition from Nintendo :(

A Brazilian leaker talked about a 2D Metroid, based on Samus Returns (maybe a sequel?) coming soon. Anyone have hope here?

I think it would be a fine way to sell Metroid on Switch to newer audiences and I personally need a new Metroidvania ASAP

New discussion topic!

August 8th, 2020:

The latest we've heard of Metroid Prime 4 is during Kensuke Tanabe's Paper Mario interview. In it, he mentioned that Nintendo's design philosophy has casual players in mind. He gave the example of the Metroid Prime series as something that looks like it's only for core gamers at a glance, but has beginner friendly elements.

Do you agree? Do you think Metroid Prime 4 should be more casual friendly? How so? Discuss.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

A Brazilian leaker talked about a 2D Metroid, based on Samus Returns (maybe a sequel?) coming soon. Anyone have hope here?

I think it would be a fine way to sell Metroid on Switch to newer audiences and I personally need a new Metroidvania ASAP

Was this the same on talked about in the Paper Mario leak? Samus Returns itself came out of nowhere, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I just hope it'll be a new entry and not another remake.

Proxy-Pie said:

New discussion topic!

August 8th, 2020:

The latest we've heard of Metroid Prime 4 is during Kensuke Tanabe's Paper Mario interview. In it, he mentioned that Nintendo's design philosophy has casual players in mind. He gave the example of the Metroid Prime series as something that looks like it's only for core gamers at a glance, but has beginner friendly elements.

Do you agree? Do you think Metroid Prime 4 should be more casual friendly? How so? Discuss.

Gamers tend to confuse the term 'beginner friendly' with 'casual' and believe the game will be watered down. Instead, it's probably going to be less clunky but more intuitive. This is a good thing, if you ask me.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

https://www.siliconera.com/retro-studios-is-hiring-a-lead-producer-for-metroid-prime-4/

Retro Studios is hiring a Lead Producer, according to a job listing on their Twitter page. Anyone here have good knowledge of game development that can tell us what they make of this?

super_etecoon said:
https://www.siliconera.com/retro-studios-is-hiring-a-lead-producer-for-metroid-prime-4/

Retro Studios is hiring a Lead Producer, according to a job listing on their Twitter page. Anyone here have good knowledge of game development that can tell us what they make of this?

Nowadays major games have multiple leads in various categories because game development has become so bloated. Just like the addition of a lead artist in 2019, looking for a lead producer doesn't mean that there is a bottleneck in development where nobody can do much work on the game until the position is filled.

Retro Studios got assigned with the development of Metroid Prime 4 only ~20 months ago, so the game isn't close to release regardless of who they hire or not. I say this because I commonly see people talking about development hell or vaporware in regards to MP4 when Nintendo was actually upfront about the game getting started from scratch again after the initially assigned developers couldn't produce satisfactory results. Retro didn't pick up a halfdone game, they started over instead.

The first Metroid Prime took ~2.5 years to develop, the second one took 2 years (they had the engine and made a sequel on the same console), the third one took ~2.5 years again (engine could be reused for the Wii, but controls had to be reworked, so extensive additional testing was necessary). Given that game development has only got more time-consuming, 3 years is the absolute minimum that must be expected, so a late 2021 release of Metroid Prime 4 is the most optimistic expectation one can have while still maintaining a tiny sense of realism. More reasonable is a release in 2022, though.

Given what MP4's history has been so far with its early announcement at E3 2017 due to Samus Returns on the 3DS (in 2017 Nintendo still had to assure fans that Switch is their clear priority) and its restart of development that was announced in January 2019, Nintendo is unlikely to show the game until its close to completion. So if anyone expects to see something of it within the next 12 months, they are setting themself up for disappointment.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
super_etecoon said:

Nowadays major games have multiple leads in various categories because game development has become so bloated. Just like the addition of a lead artist in 2019, looking for a lead producer doesn't mean that there is a bottleneck in development where nobody can do much work on the game until the position is filled.

Retro Studios got assigned with the development of Metroid Prime 4 only ~20 months ago, so the game isn't close to release regardless of who they hire or not. I say this because I commonly see people talking about development hell or vaporware in regards to MP4 when Nintendo was actually upfront about the game getting started from scratch again after the initially assigned developers couldn't produce satisfactory results. Retro didn't pick up a halfdone game, they started over instead.

The first Metroid Prime took ~2.5 years to develop, the second one took 2 years (they had the engine and made a sequel on the same console), the third one took ~2.5 years again (engine could be reused for the Wii, but controls had to be reworked, so extensive additional testing was necessary). Given that game development has only got more time-consuming, 3 years is the absolute minimum that must be expected, so a late 2021 release of Metroid Prime 4 is the most optimistic expectation one can have while still maintaining a tiny sense of realism. More reasonable is a release in 2022, though.

Given what MP4's history has been so far with its early announcement at E3 2017 due to Samus Returns on the 3DS (in 2017 Nintendo still had to assure fans that Switch is their clear priority) and its restart of development that was announced in January 2019, Nintendo is unlikely to show the game until its close to completion. So if anyone expects to see something of it within the next 12 months, they are setting themself up for disappointment.

All good points and definitely where my mind up lies with the development.  And I definitely agree that promising Metroid Prime 4, even if ill advised, was an important part of Nintendo's marketing and strategy and that it wasn't a mistake.  A mistake would have been to try to deliver a bad product in a good time frame and put what could have been the final nail in the Metroid coffin.  One good thing about this turn of events, though, is that it is giving a lot of us uninitiated gamers a small glimpse into the team building that goes into the development of a AAA game.  Every bit of info gets pored over exhaustively, albeit mostly by amateurs, and the resulting discussion is very interesting, even if a bit vague and obtuse.