By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Splatoon – 1 Million Worldwide by end of May 2015

Jooooohn dont do this again!!

Around the Network

You are back.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

FFS, can we tone it down a bit?
Yes, we're all happy it's doing well, but this is far fetched to the point of preposterous.

Do we really need a new thread every damn day prematurely declaring unreachable goals for this game?

curl-6 said:

FFS, can we tone it down a bit?
Yes, we're all happy it's doing well, but this is far fetched to the point of preposterous.

Do we really need a new thread every damn day prematurely declaring unreachable goals for this game?

I hope your not referring to my thread(s). This is the only optimistic Splatoon thread i seen (that was impossible).

My 1mil thread is optimistic, but definitely reachable

POE said:
Jooooohn dont do this again!!

Guys gotta trolling at this point lol 

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

This is more of the same crap. Your "end game" is combining Wii U and 3DS sales since it will be a "unified experience". Wii U sales are 3DS sales. 3DS sales are Wii U sales. It's a pile of baloney.

By the way, that 900K a is best case scenario that takes an extreme about of optimism. A realistic scnario is around 500K. I'm sure you'll find some way to justify it when North America sales come out to be barely above Japan's numbers.

You sure like to put words in people's mouths, don't you?

When I talk about Wii U, I talk about Wii U.
You have never heard me talk about combining both Wii U & 3DS.
And doggone right, I STILL maintain that Wii U dominates this generation.

I wouldn't get too attached to PS4's run right now. They're very vulnerable & the effects will show this year.
They were already showing cracks last year as exampled in XBox One's total turnaround last Holiday season.

Believe what you wish. But you'll be calling my baloney 'filet mignon' when the 8th generation ends.

But that's another discussion for an as-of now locked topic.

On THIS topic, I await Nintendo's report.
Splatoon did amazing in America too & when you do amazing in America, the 3rd most populous nation on Planet Earth, amazing goes a long way.

If Splatoon only sells 900 thousand worldwide instead of a full 1 million, you can have your laugh at me but you won't feel that good about it.
I'll just be "Aw shucks. Only missed it by a few thousand. Dagnabbit." Hahahahahaha!

No matter what t-bone got his prediction either way.
If I was him I would have shot for 2 million in June but I like to live dangerously.
1 million in June was always an easy bet. Splatoon smelled like a phenomenon the moment it hit that E3 2014 Digital Event.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:
DialgaMarine said:
Holy crap, I haven't seen a John Lucas post in forever. I'm not trying to throw salt in wounds or anything, but how is that Wii-U 240 million lifetime sales going? :P

I post here fairly often, DialgaMarine.
You might want to check out my latest series called FACTS vs. FICTION.
2 Volumes have already been posted so far.

FACTS vs. FICTION – Volume 1
FACTS vs. FICTION – Volume 2

That Wii U 240 million is still on schedule.
I haven't changed a thing on that assessment.

My short-term milestones missed but I know the endgame so it's small potatoes.
Wii U will be the leader of this generation & bring UNITY to the videogame world just like I said.
Splatoon is just one of the many examples.

This generation has just gotten started.
Don't buy the internet hype about Wii U's successor coming out anytime soon.
But I'll explain that more in the upcoming FACTS vs. FICTION — Volume 3.

John Lucas

I don't see it happening bro. Nintendo has already released most of their heavy hitters. The only card they really have left is Zelda U, and I don't see that pushing hundreds of millions of units.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

johnlucas said:
potato_hamster said:

This is more of the same crap. Your "end game" is combining Wii U and 3DS sales since it will be a "unified experience". Wii U sales are 3DS sales. 3DS sales are Wii U sales. It's a pile of baloney.

By the way, that 900K a is best case scenario that takes an extreme about of optimism. A realistic scnario is around 500K. I'm sure you'll find some way to justify it when North America sales come out to be barely above Japan's numbers.

I wouldn't get too attached to PS4's run right now. They're very vulnerable & the effects will show this year.
They were already showing cracks last year as exampled in XBox One's total turnaround last Holiday season.

Believe what you wish. But you'll be calling my baloney 'filet mignon' when the 8th generation ends.

Splatoon did amazing in America too & when you do amazing in America, the 3rd most populous nation on Planet Earth, amazing goes a long way.

If Splatoon only sells 900 thousand worldwide instead of a full 1 million, you can have your laugh at me but you won't feel that good about it.
I'll just be "Aw shucks. Only missed it by a few thousand. Dagnabbit." Hahahahahaha!

If I was him I would have shot for 2 million in June but I like to live dangerously.
1 million in June was always an easy bet. Splatoon smelled like a phenomenon the moment it hit that E3 2014 Digital Event.

John Lucas

Define "Wii U". Are you solely and exlusively talking about the home console with a controller that has a screen in the middle of it, that is, what the average console video game player would know to be a "Wii U" at this time? Is that exclusively what you're referring to when you say the "Wiii U" will sell 240 million lifetime?

So, best case scenario, you expect the Wii U to sell 230 million units in the next 2-3 years (because you do know another Nintendo home console is coming soon right? Nintendo tends to release a new home console every 5-6 years, and the Wii U is half way through year 3) That would be 76-115M per year, out of absolutely nowhere. Right now Wii U sales are at 9.7 million and has been on sale for approximately 30 months. That is an average of about 325K per month. What on this planet is going to lead to an explosion of an additional 6 million to 9.2 million sales per month?  Even if the Wii U was going to be the flagship home console for the next 6 years (giving the console a life cycle as the primary home console of about 9 years), it would have to sell an average of 3 million consoles per month, or about 10 times the sales of what it is doing right now.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo could annouce that it will send you free access to the entire Wii U library for free from now until the end of time and they wouldn't sell at the rate you'd require to meet the sales you're suggesting for it to meet your targets.

Splatoon will not sell 900K worldwide for the month of may, much less 1 million. How low would splatoon sales have to be for you to consider your prediction wrong?

johnlucas said:
potato_hamster said:

John Lucas

less than 10M in 2.5 years but you expect it to rise to 240M (aditional 230M) in the next 2.5-4.5years top... something like 1000-2300% increase in its sales??? Don't seem that possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Alright kids, the NOD numbers are in. Hard copy sales of Splatoon in North America = 136K. That is less than Japan. Not bad for twice as many Wii U's as Japan has to pick up copies. Let's be generous and round up to 150K for hard and digital copies for Splatoon.

That means worldwide first week so far we have: ~330K Among Japan, UK, and the US, representing about 70% of the Wii U's market so far. So now Canada, the rest of Europe, and the rest of the world have to buy approximately 670K copies of Splatoon to meet your prediction, John Lucas. Obviously that isn't happening.

In fact, as it stands now Splatoon will probably not even sell 500K world-wide for the month of May. You can expect sales from the rest of the markets to bring it up to around 450K. So it looks like not only were you off, other users that were predicting half the sales you more than likely also being a bit optimistic.

Also it appears Wii U sales are down ~100k world-wide comparing May 2014 with May 2015. Ouch. So much for Splatoon being the summer system seller like Mario Kart 8!