By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MetaScores per year (2000 - 2023)

I updated my MetaScore charts again, now with 2022 complete:

Last edited by Conina - on 07 January 2023

Around the Network

Considering the Wii U only had about 205 physical games (and hundreds of digital-only games that people mostly didn't care about), eight 90+scores is impressive. Also, having 101 80+ titles is impressive.
PSP and Vita have only 2 each. I expected that for Vita, given that PSP's library has a stronger legacy. But I'm a little surprised about the PSP. DS and 3DS also both scored a lot lower than I expected. Only 7 for the DS, and only 6 for the 3DS.
N64 isn't too shocking, I suppose. There were only 393 games, globally. I would've been surprised if more than 12 hit 90 or more on Metacritic.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If I missed something in the 7 pages I skipped, I apologize, but: why in the very last table do you not align all of the scores with the PS5 and XSX? You account for all of the Switch years, and then for some reason a little more in the PC years, but why not align all the platforms in that last table to match the addition of the PS5 and XSX?

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Cerebralbore101 said:
Conina said:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/xboxone/filtered?page=0

That list just runs afoul of all the things I've been pointing out and then some. Expansions to games being counted as their own individual games. Games with less than 10 scored reviews being counted. Yearly Sports/Racing titles being counted. Freemium trash being counted. Games being counted twice, due to being both part of a compilation and a stand alone release.

You already admitted that your list was flawed when you said you didn't bother adding in Xbox games that had high scores on PS4/PC/Switch. Why not admit that counting things I listed above is also flawed?

We can either take the data as is, without any judgement, or we can take the data with reasonable exceptions/additions. As is, without any judgement XB1 is sorely lacking in games compared to PS4. Taking the data with reasonable exceptions/additions XB1 is also sorely lacking in games compared to PS4.

Yes, we get it, you are really down on Xbox One - which I guess is the reason for all of your posts in here?

I think if we want to be as hard and restrictive about releases as you are being about Xbox One releases - then the PS4 also comes off much worse than it actually does as well.  Btw, if you don't want obvious tells wrt what you are doing, then statements like "Yearly Sports/Racing titles" as a negative should probably be left out.  It's a stone's throw from the "Xbox got no games" meme that typically has to conveniently throw out MS exclusives based on spurious requirements of games not being sequels or from "yearly franchises" that are not actually yearly (ex - FM vs FH), or that require games to be AAA (even when the best releases for many years are indies).

ZyroXZ2 said:

If I missed something in the 7 pages I skipped, I apologize, but: why in the very last table do you not align all of the scores with the PS5 and XSX? You account for all of the Switch years, and then for some reason a little more in the PC years, but why not align all the platforms in that last table to match the addition of the PS5 and XSX?

I added the launch aligned table:

Around the Network

I updated my MetaScore charts again, now with 2023 complete:

I added some new data about the cumulative number of unique games with a MetaScore of 75+, 80+, 85+ and 90+

Until this year, the number was inflated by different versions of the game.

For example, GTA V was counted for every platform with at least 7 reviews, five versions of them as 90+ game.

Another example is Limbo. Two versions were counted as 90+ game, three versions as 85+ game, the rest wasn't counted due to less than 7 reviews:

This is fine, if you want to know how much good games a single platform has, so if you filter platform by platform, MetaCritic still shows the score of the individual versions and counts them to the release years of these versions.

But if you don't set a platform filter, these games are only counted once since the MetaCritic relaunch. Score and release date of the most popular version (aka the version with the most "critic reviews") if you don't filter by platform.

That is often the first platform a game launch, but not always... the PS4 version of GTA V had more reviews than the older versions.

With this additional data I compared the annual number of game versions with the aannual number of unique games:

Last edited by Conina - on 03 January 2024