By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MetaScores per year (2000 - 2023)

I made a spreadsheet of the annual number of games per platform, which had a MetaScore of at least 90% (85%, 80%, 75%).

Then I combined the console families (f.e. PS1+PS2+PS3+PS4+PS5 to "PS Home Consoles") for the bar diagrams. I hope you like them:

To avoid confusion, I deleted the old tables and diagrams in this post. The newest numbers and visualisations are in my latest post in this thread.

Last edited by Conina - on 03 January 2024

Around the Network

Really nice work. That must have taken a while to do.

Hm, so a unified OS will definitely help Nintendo a lot in terms of quality releases next generation. The Nintendo Handheld + Nintendo Home Console almost rivals the other platforms, and that is assuming no third party multiplat support.

sc94597 said:
Hm, so a unified OS will definitely help Nintendo a lot in terms of quality releases next generation. The Nintendo Handheld + Nintendo Home Console almost rivals the other platforms, and that is assuming no third party multiplat support.

Which there probably won't be. But yeah the data does show that unifying their two platforms will really help in their software output.

really well done, great thread!, there is a lot of great games out there i wish i had enough time to play them all.

Around the Network

Really impressive work here. Thanks for sharing. :)

So, the data seems to show that the start of each generation produces the best-reviewed games, then? 2001 to 2003 (6th generation) has over 30 titles with 90+ metacritic score. 2007 to 2009 (7th generation) > 25 titles with 90+ metacritic. Not true for the 8th gen, though. Maybe it will take longer this generation to get the really good games everyone is waiting for?

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Nicee list! Third Party and Indie games really help the PS/Xbox platform which is why Nintendo needs them too so hopefully, the next Nintendo console will be close to the ps5/x2's performance even if its a bit lower than both

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nice thread! Great to see all these games that came out

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Playstation wins again in both quality and quantity :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Oops... I forgot the DreamCast.