By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FACTS vs. FICTION – Volume 2

I'm not a big popcorn guy, so I think I will have some nachos as I enjoy the conversation in this thread.

I agree with John in that they should have packed an adapter with the new 3DS.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network
slab_of_bacon said:

I agree with John in that they should have packed an adapter with the new 3DS.

Well, other than Nintendo, who wouldn't want an adapter to come with the 3DS? Everyone would like to have more for the same price

Tagged :)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

artur-fernand said:

So... you think the PS is only succesful because of those evil third-parties that love to go against Nintendo?

And you say that Sony will fail because they're too far away from "their roots", while ignoring the fact that Nintendo originally began making toys, cards AND EVEN OWNED MOTELS but only became a big company with video games?

And while I agree that Morpheus won't do much... I'd LOVE to see you "analysis" if it was a Nintendo product. I'd really do.

Edit: you also consider Bayonetta as an ip "Nintendo created"

Well well, let's get started with the conversation here.

If you understand your videogame history, artur-fernand,what I said would not be a surprise to you.

The 3rd party developers have been in rebellion against Nintendo since the mid-1990s & have been seeking to have control over the industry using PlayStation (& later XBox) as their vessel to gain it.
Those who say that all Nintendo needs to do is beef up the specs & make better deals with 3rd parties are fooling themselves.
It doesn't matter what Nintendo does because of this very simple equation I speak of all the time:

1st party + 2nd party + 3rd party = Nintendo's party.

The 3rd party denies Nintendo on principle.
It's a political fight because if they favor Nintendo it puts the political control of this industry ENTIRELY in Nintendo's hands.

PlayStation & XBox benefit from this arrangement because without the 3rd parties they're nothing.
Sony & Microsoft just are NOT gamemakers & they need gamemakers on their platforms to supply content.
Both Sony & Microsoft believe that they can use these consoles for a larger master plan that benefits their overall corporations.
But in truth, the 3rds are in control of the platform makers.

In Nintendo's house, Nintendo is Dad & the 3rd parties are The Kids who must do their chores like Dad says.
In Sony's & Microsoft's house, The Kids tell The Parents what to do. The Kids run the house.
Any time Sony or Microsoft don't do what these 3rd parties demand, the 3rd parties can destroy their platforms for support.

The 3rd party is not supposed to boss around the 1st party. The 1st party is both the platform maker & game maker.
3rd parties are just gamemakers. You gotta have a platform to sell your products on.
But since Sony & Microsoft are weak 1st parties, the 3rds gets to boss them around.
Since they can't do that with Nintendo, a immensely strong 1st party, they shun Nintendo's platform & stay with the ones they can boss.
1st comes before 3rd. 1 comes before 3. That's the order. But on PlayStation & XBox, everything is backwards & upside down.

I KNOW that PlayStation (AND XBox) are only successful because of the 3rd party's favor.
That's a documentable FACT.

As for Nintendo's roots (I knew somebody would challenge me on this one)...

In 1889, Nintendo started out as a Playing Card making company. Making hand-crafted flower cards called Hanafuda.
Over 125 years later, what do you hear Nintendo staff saying about amiibos?
You heard that they will be also be making amiibos in CARD form, didn't you? Hahahahahaha!
Just another example of that echo effect I talked about with successful companies ALWAYS being connected to their roots.

The Wii U itself. When you first start it up brand new out of the factory settings, you have to do a test when syncing the Gamepad (I call it Upad) to the Wii U console.
What symbols show up in this test? Clubs, Hearts, Diamonds, & Spades.
Symbols known from Playing Cards. Hahahahahaha! That echo again.

New Super Mario Bros. U (and its companion New Super Luigi U) have a sort of 5th player mode that can assist the other 4 players with special platforms to help them get through tough stages. These platforms are brought by tapping on the Upad's touchscreen.
What symbols adorn these colorful makeshift platforms? Clubs, Hearts, Diamonds, & Spades.
Symbols from those same Playing Cards as before. Hahahahaha!

I can take it further.
You know WHY Nintendo found it hard to leave the cartridge format for the Nintendo 64 instead of picking Sony's Compact Discs?
Maybe because of the word itself. CARTRIDGE? CARD-TRIDGE.
All that a cartridge is, is merely an overgrown CARD. Hahahahahahaha!

But even when they added discs to their systems, cards were still involved.
Gamecube may run games off of those miniature discs...but you can't save without those Memory CARDS. Hahahaha!
And the Gamecube's handheld sibling, the Game Boy Advance, even had a peripheral called the e-Reader which once again used special CARDS in that reader to deliver content.

Wii? How about those SD CARDS? Heh heh heh.
Wii U uses SD CARDS too.

And besides Nintendo never REALLY got rid of the cartridge format anyhow.
On their handhelds, they STILL kept using cartridges even though today we just call them CARDS since they're no longer overgrown.
Game Boy Advance? Small Cartridges—excuse me—CARDtridges.
DS? Special Flash CARDS. DSi used both Flash CARDS AND those SD CARDS.
3DS? Same thing no matter which model you use. Flash CARDS AND SD CARDS.

When I play Nintendo's Touch Solitaire from DSiWare, I see the card connection all day long.
Same thing when I played Nintendo's Clubhouse Games from DS which includes LOADS of card games INCLUDING that Hanafuda game called Koi-Koi.
Nintendo even put out a DS game called Master of Illusion which not only shows you card tricks among its magic tricks BUT ALSO includes a deck of Nintendo Playing Cards in the package!

It's everywhere! Programs on 3DS called AR Cards & Photos with Mario that create augmented reality games through picture filled CARDS.
AR Cards packed into the 3DS by default & Photos with Mario having you buy specially branded eShop CARDS which have the AR Card tucked inside.
That's not counting the unique AR Cards from Kid Icarus: Uprising & Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (that Fatal Frame spinoff).

I saw solitaire card games in Brain Age: Concentration Training AKA as Dr. Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training.
Hell, even minigames in Super Mario 64 DS & New Super Mario Bros. have Mario-ized versions of Poker & Memory CARD games.

Club Nintendo regularly has Nintendo playing cards in their rewards section.
I achieved Platinum status in 2012 & got the SWEETEST set of Platinum Mario Playing Cards.
I also got an authentic set of Hanafuda cards from Nintendo here. SUPER HAPPY to get that!
I'm pissed that I missed the Animal Crossing & Mario Party Playing Cards they once had there but am VERY HAPPY that I didn't miss the Animal Crossing Mini Playing Cards they're offering as the service shuts down.
I hope I can find that Giant AR Mii card off somebody down the line. I slept on that one & it was gone by the time I looked for it.

=======================================================================

Even their public behavior is related to this.
Their secretiveness & slyness. Just like a poker-faced card player.
The way they drop bombs on you out of nowhere. Just like a card player delivering the Trump Card in Bid-Whist.
How they hold information so close to chest like a card player holds cards close.
I remember President Satoru Iwata giving his speech at the 2011 Game Developers Conference where he says Nintendo likes to deliver "meaningful surprises" & how Nintendo likes to make the "impossible possible".
Sounds just like a magician & as you know magicians are notorious for doing just this with those card tricks.
Everybody always mentions that unique Nintendo MAGIC, don't they?

I know that the word MAGIC has connection to the word SCIENCE & that both talk about WISDOM & KNOWLEDGE.
Jesus Christ & the Gift of the MAGI. The Three WISE Men they call them right?
WIZards like Harry Potter are expert MAGICIANS, right?
Don't they call smart kids "WIZ kids"? Excuse me—"WHIZ kids"? Whiz kids are usually in SCIENTIFIC fields, aren't they?
The word SCIENCE directly derives from Latin word 'Scientia' which directly means KNOWLEDGE.
What these SCIENTISTS do & make can seem pretty MAGICAL, can it?
This computer I'm typing on & this internet I use to broadcast the message. takes a lot of SENSE—excuse me—SCIENCE to pull off this MAGICAL feat.
Takes a lot of KNOWLEDGE, doesn't it? A lot of WISE-DOM—excuse me—WISDOM, huh?

People think Professional Card Players are smart people, don't they?
A Card Shark who can read the cards is never considered dumb. Alternative name for this is Card Sharp.
Most people don't have the guts ot risk it all on the World Series of Poker stage. Lots of sharp people there.
Those magicians like Penn & Teller, James Randi, David Blaine are not considered dumb people, are they?
Each one of these guys are EXPERTS in Card tricks. It takes KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM to pull this off.
Maybe that's why a playing card company like Nintendo acts so cagey like this.
So cagey like a card player, so sly like a magician with a sleight of hand.
GAME on the deepest metaphysical level.

=========================================================

But this is just a sample dealing with the card part.

The other side of that phrase "Playing Card" is PLAYING.
Boil it down to the essence & Nintendo at the roots is a PLAY company.

That's why the cats from Wii's News Channel & Photo Channel made mew noises when you clicked them or did some silly maneuver.
That's why even something as simple as a system transfer has this crazy drawn out sequence with Pikmin moving your stuff over piece by piece to the new system.
That's why WiiWare downloads had a randomly acting Mario (or Luigi) in regular, Super, & Fire forms showing you the progress instead of some boring progress bar showing you percentages.
That's why DSiWare downloads had the starring cast of Super Mario Bros. 2 picking up pieces of the data & putting it into the box just like they picked up those turnips in the original game.
That's why eShop downloads have this random assembly line dropping the data with the goofy gift-sack eShop character running around.
That's why Wii U startups have your Mii doing some random funny pose.
That's why the Gamecube startup screen can make baby laughs when you hold the Z button.
That's why hired mercenaries (by Play Coin) in the Streetpass Mii Plaza game Mii Force randomly trip after doing such a serious salute in their introductions.

That's why the President & General Manager of a multi-billion dollar company can do a Nintendo Direct with Luigi hats on carrying around the Poltergust 3000 from Luigi's Mansion...and have a straight face on while doing it.
That's why people mark out when that General Manager comes on a E3 stage wearing a sports jacket, bright green 1UP Mushroom T-shirt & swing around  Hyrule Shields/Master Sword all with a big goofy grin on his face.
That's why Presidents of the company can act out a ridiculous fighting scene before showcasing Super Smash Bros. at that same E3.
That's why they can come in Claymation & not look out of place.

In everything they make, in everything they do, it shows.
This is who they are, this is what they do. They are a PLAY company.
PLAY through GAME. PLAY through TOY. And in the future PLAY through Health Care (Quality of Life program).
But no matter what, it's PLAY from this company of PLAYing Cards.

In fact, that explains why they FAILED in those attempted expansions you touched on with "MOTELS".
After over 6 decades making playing cards, young President Hiroshi Yamauchi wanted to expand his inherited company to new heights.
They were the kings of playing cards in Japan without question but was this enough?
Yamauchi went to see the office of the biggest playing card company in the world...
...The United States Playing Card Company from Cincinnati, Ohio (the ones who make the famous Bicycle Playing Cards).
When Yamuchi saw that small office in Cincinnati in 1956, he must have thought "THAT'S IT?! THAT'S ALL?!"
Immediately he knew Nintendo was meant for bigger & better things & started his expansion efforts.

One of them was to reduce the stigma around his playing cards (gambling, Yakuza, & so on) by introducing a family-oriented feel to his products (where have I seen this before in Nintendo products?).
That sets up the collaboration with Disney as he puts Disney characters on his playing cards (oh yeah Disney & Nintendo are more spiritually connected than you know).
It was only a natural progression to go from card games to board games since boards are like cards just bigger & thicker (cardboard? hmm).
Both played on a table or on somebody's bed in homey living room settings.
So shogi boards, go boards, checker boards, chess boards, & others went into production.

Yamauchi was experimenting & throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks by the time we get to the 1960s.
"What do the Japanese want? What do the Japanese like? What's popular?" I imagine him thikning.
So that leads him into having Nintendo create instant rice, taxicab services, cleaning services with vacuum cleaners, & those infamous LOVE HOTELS.

Why do you think these particular expansion attempts failed? I'll tell you why.
Nintendo is NOT a FOOD MAKER or FOOD SERVICES company. So instant rice fails.
Nintendo is NOT an AUTOMOTIVE or TRANSPORTATION company. So taxis fail.
Nintendo is NOT a HOUSECLEANING company. So vacuum cleaners fail.
And Nintendo for DAMN SURE is NOT a SEXUAL SERVICES company. So love hotels fail.

Now granted SEX is a Kind of PLAY, sure. SEXUAL PLAY. SEXUAL FUN.
But just like I said with Sony getting confused on the Videogame Industry's use of Electronic & Media, Nintendo is not a SEX company.
(Though they probably are practicing with the use of Bayonetta's Peach & Daisy costumes. Haha!)

Which expansion made sense in the 1960s?
TOYMAKING.
Think about it. Card Games lead to Board Games.
When you play board games, you're usually playing with some sort of token, aren't you?
Monopoly has a little dog, a thimble, a horseback rider, a car, an iron (why?), a tophat, a wheelbarrow, a shoe.
Chess has these distinct pieces: the pawn, the knight, the bishop, the rook, the queen, the king.
Checkers has these little black & red chips with crowns on them.
The German Halma variant better known as Chinese Checkers has little marbles.
Even Battleship has these various ship pieces to place on the board.

These Tokens are Figurines, aren't they? These Figurines are Toys, aren't they?
Toys are always Avatars of the owner who plays with it whether in Game format or not.
Whether in structured play (game) or freeform play (how kids usually play with toys).

So when Yamauchi visited one of his playing card factories & saw this maintenance man named Gunpei Yokoi playing with this weird stretch-arm contraption he plays with on his breaks...
...he took him off the assembly line, made him the head of his new Toy Department, & the Ultra Hand was born.
Also born was Nintendo's expansion into Toymaking.

So naturally it was only a hop & a skip before new Toymaker Nintendo went from making all-mechanical toys to electronic toys like the handheld Love Tester & Beam Gun.
And through that Beam Gun, it was only a matter of time before the collaboration with electronics maker Magnavox (the manufacturer of Ralph Baer's pioneering videogame console Odyssey) on a game called Shooting Gallery led them into making the electronic toys known as videogames.

Card Games to Board Games. Board Games to Toys. Toys to Electronic Toys. Electronic Toys to Video Games.
And in each progression you see the PLAY connection.
Once again successful companies always remain true to their roots.
They STILL make playing cards & board games to this very day, by the way.
And with amiibos you see the TOY heritage shouting back.

=====================================================================

This is why I say it's dangerous for Sony to pin their entire company around PlayStation.
They may mistake this videogame industry as Electronics & Media which ARE in their roots but there's a distinction they're omitting.
Videogames are a PLAY industry using Electronics & Media.
It's an active medium, an interactive medium not the passive ones like music, TV, & movies that Sony has built their business upon.
PlayStation is supposed to be a side business for them not the main business.
But the years that follow will reveal this crucial mistake to them & the world watching.

OK, as for the Project Morpheus thing & you wondering what my response would be if Nintendo made it.
Here's your answer.

EXACTLY THE SAME.

Virtual Reality will go NOWHERE until it can be done without a helmet or head device.
Holograms is where Virtual Reality will shine.
This is why you haven't seen Nintendo make anything like the Virtual Boy since.

But guess what?
You know who's probably gonna be the first one out here to make a workable Virtual Reality device?
Nintendo.

They have already shown you the steps leading up to it.
What do you think the Wiimote is all about?
What do you think are the implications of the Gamepad AKA Upad?

The Wiimote transformed input control.
They shook up their own then-20 year old standard & had a controller that could mimic the real-life movements of activities to play the game.
Which is why Wii Sports dethroned their own Super Mario Bros. as the best-selling videogame of all time on a single platform.
Instead of this abstract meter to swing the golf club now you can just swing like a real gofler & hit the ball.
And the INTELLIGENT part of this revolutionary device is that Nintendo took into account people with injuries & disabilities.
Those who can't stand up making full swings. Older people, people in wheelchairs.
So you could STILL get the same effect with much subtler movements so as not to cause strain on the body.
A slight tilt or jerk will work just as well as a full-out swing.

YET just as INTELLIGENTLY, Nintendo addressed the concerns of gaming making kids couch potatoes.
So those who CAN make the full swings are encouraged to get off of the couch, stand up & MOVE.
This is why you don't hear from that wacko moral crusader Jack Thompson anymore.
Nintendo killed a lot of the negative stigma surrounding gaming in the 7th generation through DS & Wii.
He can't go on & on about the dangers of videogaming when you got Nintendo getting people to exercise on a special bathroom scale through Wii Fit.
It was NES World Class Track Meet (AKA Bandai's Stadium Events) times 1,000!

And JUST as INTELLIGENTLY Nintendo allowed this Wiimote to STILL cover the original Famicom/NES standard in multiple ways.
Turn Wiimote to side & it's the NES all over again.
Add the Nunchuk & it's an ambidexterous loose-handed separated N64/Gamecube controller.
Can even become a new-style Zapper or Super Scope with its infrared pointer.
And with its gyro motion power it can be a steering wheel eliminating the need for a big outside driving wheel setup.

Rooted in the old while moving heavily into the new.
That's why it revolutionized this industry.
Such a controller would be perfect for a Virtual Reality system.
The internal speaker can be thought of as a phone receiver as shown in Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree & No More Heroes.
How immersive would that be in a Virtual Reality system?

==============================================

Now think about the Gamepad AKA Upad.
In one view, it's just an overgrown DS making the TV the topscreen & the Gamepad the touchscreen.
In another view, it's a tablet with buttons. So iPad's all-touch limitations are offset by Upad's analog Control sticks, Control pad, action buttons & triggers.
But what's that other view the Upad is known for?
That Off-TV function right?

Wii U is the ONLY home console that can be played ENTIRELY without a TV set.
Small enough to carry on the go, plug into an outlet at a doctor's office, & play entirely from that panoramic, gyro-powered Upad.
The Off-TV function makes the Upad, the Gamepad its own TV screen.
Whether you use it as the controller or a simple viewing screen as you use Wiimote to Upad's embedded sensor bar or Wii U Pro controller to console's bluetooth sensors.
The ONLY Handheld Home Console. That's the Wii U.

You gotta remember something, artur-fernand. Videogame home consoles have always been married to TV sets.
They have always been servants of TV sets. Always sidecars on the TV motorcycle.
The VERY FIRST videogame console was manufactured by a TV maker named Magnavox.
Whether we had to go through the strugges of RF Cables, Composite Cables, Component Cables, or HDMI cables, the home console is at the mercy of the TV & its various complications.
"What channel do you got the TV set to? Channel 3 or 4? I'm not seeing the image on the TV."
"What kind of TV gives the best picture? Plasma or LED/LCD?"
"What would be the best settings to make the resolution for this game work?"

The Wii U for the first time EVER breaks this connection to TVs.
First time in 40 years from 1972's Magnavox Odyssey to 2012's Nintendo Wii U.
So what that tells me is that Nintendo is preparing for a console world that can be INDEPENDENT from TVs.
What happens when Nintendo creates a device that can project its own images even beyond the screen?
What happens if the Upad became an Hpad? A Holographic Pad?

This is why I'm so sure about Nintendo's UNITY plan in the 8th Generation with Wii U.
The only competition will be in distinct related markets like the PC world & the new PC world AKA tablets/smartphones.
In the console world, it will be only them so that they can challenge the alternate gaming worlds more effectively.
To be able to be a stronger entertainment option in all entertainment fields than they already are now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's 9th generation console is a holographic one.
If not that one then definitely the 10th generation one.
I don't know how they will do it but that's where Virtual Reality will be successful—in holograms.
And Wii & Wii U have already given you clues on where this can be going.

But Nintendo understands the familial aspect & will not do it like the current companies are out here doing it.
It will not be a solitary closed-off device but something that can enjoyed by everyone in the room.

But yeah, I would say the exact same thing towards Nintendo that I did for Sony & its Project Morpheus.
Helmets & head devices ain't gonna cut it. It's not practical.

Oh & when I mentioned Bayonetta, I admit I was talking in future tense.
Bayonetta will be in Nintendo's stable from now on.
They didn't pay for that for nothing. It's not a one-off.
Bayonetta 3 will most likely be a Nintendo exclusive.
Sega will either share or hand it over entirely.

And as for created, I put directly-created items from Nintendo & their teams as well as those from their 2nd party partners.
Super Smash Bros. & Pokémon would have to be taken off of this list if you want me to get that finicky.
Without Nintendo these products would not be made.
Sort of like with Bayonetta 2 which was funded & guided by Nintendo.
Xenoblade was created by Monolith Soft but Nintendo brought them into the fold entirely as 1st party.
Sort of like how Bayonetta was brought into the fold.
And I expect any day now for Platinum Games to become either officially or unofficially a 2nd party to Nintendo.
They have always been warm to Nintendo since they were Capcom's Clover Studio.

Bayonetta was created by Platinum Games but in the future the Umbra Witch will be associated with Nintendo.
Bring that gal in off the streets & make an honest woman out of her. Hahaha.

Alright that should get some discussion going.
I look forward to the back-and-forth.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

The_Sony_Girl1 said:
I agree with all of this. Is there gonna be Microsoft related questions next volume?

Thank you.

I can add some Microsoft ones into Volume 3 if you want.

John Lucas

Talal said:
Agree with a few of these which is very weird.

Why is it weird?
You expected to disagree with me on sight, didn't you?

I make good points all the time if folks just took the time to consider them honestly.
Lots of people see my name & block out what I say on sight alone.
"Oh it's that johnlucas again. What nonsense is he talking THIS time?"

That's why I leave that signature saying "Official VGChartz Idiot"
Some poster during my first time here back in 2007/2008 called me an idiot because he didn't agree with what I said.
Probably a kneejerk reaction when I challenged some piece of "conventional wisdom" he held dear.
So I took it & ran with it. Made a joke out of it & said OFFICIAL VGChartz Idiot. Hahaha!
I'm usually not a fan of signatures but I made an exception for that one. Might change it someday, I don't know.

Hang around my threads, Talal. You'll probably find that you agree with more than a few things I have to say.

John Lucas

Around the Network

Good read, I agree about the AC adapter situation with the new 3ds. Really stupid not to put that in there.

I don't know about Project Morpheus becoming Sony's equivalent of Virtual Boy, but I agree with everything else you put in there.

I will read vol 1 later, thanx for leaving the link up there as well.

Ahh more crap. Do you think by pointing out an obvious crticism of Nintendo it makes you any less of a blatant Nintendo fanboy? You would have lost even more credibility for not crapping on Nintendo for excluding the AC adapter.

So Sony and MS can never be as good at making video games and video game consoles because they never started as game companies? I'm very curious what your apologist take on the complete and utter decimation of Nintendo by the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2. The Playstation 2 itself sold almost as many consoles as every other previous Nintendo Home console combined. But let me guess, console sales aren't important because they make Nintendo look bad in this instance?

"Nintendo don't want to compete with other companies! Because we are not good at it!" These were the words out of the mouth of Satoru Iwata himself some years ago.

the AC thing is stupid, they just should have packed in an usb-AC cable..

Very informative topic. I'd just like to point that nintendo doesn't own bayonetta or devil's third and that the likes of paper mario, mario kart/party/tennis... are all individual franchises.