Forums - Sony Discussion - BraLoD catching up with the classics: Final Fantasy 7 (finished)

Tagged games:

InnocentSin said:
vivster said:

Which is a fun part! FFVIII is as far from a stereotypical JRPG story as it gets, which I think is great.

It has Rinoa (and a couple of other lovely ladies that I will not spoil), so who cares about the rest of the cast?

Everybody that's played the game should care about the rest of the cast. Just because one character is somewhat likeable doesn't omit the game from scrunity in regards to the entire cast. And while FFVIII is definitely a non-stereotypical story, some of the plot twists that occur are just odd.

Odd means just great in my book.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

Do use Refine to get Magic spells, as suggested. It won't break the game, but rather, it'll prevent you from encountering the biggest complaint people had about this game, which was the 'neccesity' to Draw magic from enemies so much that it became tedious. Many people were not aware of the refine feature, so they felt forced to Draw an aweful lot of magic from enemies, which can be quite dull.

FF VIII is my favorite in the series along with FFVII. Not sure which one I like best. But the story of VIII is one of the things I enjoyed a lot.
Also has one of my favorite battle theme in the series, when you control a certain character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

I need to replay this game again.

Another advice, try the card mini game and see if you like it. If you do, try to challenge as many people as you can since some of them have rare cards. Which in turn you can then win and use, or refine for magic if you so chose.

I don't even know what this refine is yet
I've been drawing a lot indeed, seems like having the max magic boost more my stats when I juction it. (1 point each 10 units of magic for the weak spells I have now) and healing spells juctioned at HP makes it go very high as well.

I'm still avoid most card battles because I just have 2 good cards (ifrit and Diablos), and I don't want to lose any of them

Oh, you already started the game?
Well you can read about Refining here: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/ff8/refining.shtml
Did you get the GF Siren from Dollet during your SeeD- exam? You had to draw her from a boss. If you missed her, you'll have to wait till the end of the game to get her again.

As for the card battles, just save your game and play. Reset if you lose your cards. ^^ Then once you build up a better deck, you could win back the cards you lose more easily without resetting. Some kids in school have the Quistis card, and I think the Moogle card. Very powerful cards to have early.

No I have not, I didn't knew I could draw a GF from a boss, lol, too bad. I thought it was strange it doesn't giving me any exp though.

InnocentSin said:
vivster said:

Which is a fun part! FFVIII is as far from a stereotypical JRPG story as it gets, which I think is great.

It has Rinoa (and a couple of other lovely ladies that I will not spoil), so who cares about the rest of the cast?

Everybody that's played the game should care about the rest of the cast. Just because one character is somewhat likeable doesn't omit the game from scrunity in regards to the entire cast. And while FFVIII is definitely a non-stereotypical story, some of the plot twists that occur are just odd.

I don't see FF VIII's cast as particularly weaker than other FF games. It's just a matter of opinion. I liked Squall (eventually as you learn more about him at least), Rinoa, Seifer, Laguna and Matron. Especially Laguna. I liked Quistis in the beginning, but her story didn't end up contributing much as the story progressed. It was like she was forgotten. And while I wasn't a big fan of Selphie, Zell and Irvine, it's always been like that for me in FF games where I didn't particularly care for some of the cast members. In FF7 I didn't care for Red XIII, Cait Sith, Yuffie and Vincent (other than the way he looked). In FF9 I didn't care for Eiko, Amarant, Quiina and Freya. In FFX, Khimari, Rikku and Lulu. In FF XII, Vaan, Penelo, Basch, and Larsa. In FF XIII, Lightning, Hope (he turns out much more likable in XIII-2/3), Snow, and Vanille. And so on, and so forth.
Though even though I wasn't a fan of Irvine, I liked the idea that he didn't have a nervous breakdown during the assassination plan of Edea during the parade, but rather that he hesitated because he recognised her. Because unlike the rest of the group, Irvine didn't like using G.F.'s. And a consequence of using G.F.s was memory loss.

And yeah, there was one particular plot twist in FF8 that was pretty weird. That they were all from the same orphanage.
Since there were sparkles falling down during that scene, just like how it does when Ellone changes the past, I rather wanted to think that's what happened there, and that she brought them together that way. But I don't that's what happened. It was just a weird coincidence.
As for other plot twists in the game, I liked those. Gave you a lot to think about. Like the story overall. I particularly liked Laguna's story. Which was both funny and sad.

BraLoD said:

No I have not, I didn't knew I could draw a GF from a boss, lol, too bad. I thought it was strange it doesn't giving me any exp though.

All these people trying to spoil the game for you. Better beat the game fast before everything is given away XD.

I think the minor reasoning that you don't get xp from bosses is because it would disproportionately level your main 3. Because obviously don't want the weaker less likeable members out during boss fights.