By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Next Mario Will Most Likely Be On Nintendo’s Next Console

Those hoping for another mainline Mario title for Wii U may come away slightly disappointed as Shigeru Miyamoto says that it will most likely be on Nintendo’s next home console. We’ve already had the wonderful Super Mario 3D World so I’m sure we can be patient and wait, though it’s going to be difficult.

Since we first created Mario, people have compared him to Mickey Mouse. I’ve always said Mickey Mouse evolved with each evolution in animation. You saw Mickey Mouse each step of the way. From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/19/miyamoto-next-mario-will-most-likely-be-on-nintendos-next-console/

Around the Network

Well at least they confirmed that they'll have a next console

I'll say we'll see mario ultra HD on wii u successor in 2017.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

"Most Likely" So it's very unlikely that we'll get a new Mario game for Wii U. It's very unlikely. It's not impossible, so there is still a chance.

Well if that statement won't push more Wii Us I don't know.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

That's not how I'd interpret what he said at all.

"Since we first created Mario, people have compared him to Mickey Mouse. I’ve always said Mickey Mouse evolved with each evolution in animation. You saw Mickey Mouse each step of the way. From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game."

It's the new role that I think applies to the next gen. I think when Miyamoto says 'new game' he means a new style of game.

I mean, do we really think we're not going to see Mario at all until the next Ninty console? Because that's what a literal interpretation would suggest.

Jeez, you deserve a ban for scaring me like that! Not at all how I interpreted that statement as I read it before. Just one of those statements of Miyamoto when he's not allowed to say anything... In other words, he said nothing with that statement just like a politician can talk for hours on end and practically say nothing.

Don't take the ban part too seriously btw. ;) 

That's a misleading interpretation lol. Also, when did Nintendo ever announce there will be another Mario platformer for Wii U?

t3mporary_126 said:
That's a misleading interpretation lol. Also, when did Nintendo ever announce there will be another Mario platformer for Wii U?

They did announce a new Super Mario game, so if that isn't on Wii U or 3DS, it means Wii U will be discontinued very soon. 

How do you get from that statement that the next Mario will be on another console? He besically just says that on the next console he wants to try something different with Mario, like a new role or a different kind of game.

The only thing I acknowledge is that this change won't happen on the Wii U, as that's pretty much confirmed by this, but not that there won't be any other Mario Game on the Wii U.

edit: Besides, new Paper Mario for Wii U is already in development as that got leaked a few weeks ago