By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie says Nintendo’s next console won’t launch until the Wii U is out of potential

Tagged games:

Is Reggie right?

Absolutely 175 51.47%

Yes 50 14.71%

Probably 23 6.76%

Maybe 16 4.71%

No. 46 13.53%

ATARIIIiiiiii 29 8.53%

Total:339

As we move into the holiday season and Wii U sales are starting to increase thanks to recent releases like Mario Kart 8 and upcoming releases like Super Smash Bros., many die-hard fans are wondering if Nintendo plans on the Wii U having a shorter life-cycle so they can move on to the next console. According to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, while the company is always thinking about where to go next in terms of hardware, the Wii U won’t be dropped until they’ve reached its full potential.

Our mentality is, fairly soon after we launch new hardware, we already begin thinking about what’s next. That’s an ongoing process for us. In the end, what galvanizes us to move is when our developers have a great gaming experience that can’t be done on the current platform. We’re not there yet on the Wii U.

The experiments that Shigeru Miyamoto showed at E3 show that there’s a lot of innovation to be mined with Wii U. We showed off the beginnings of a Zelda game coming to Wii U. We have a lot more content to create for the Wii U, but we’re always thinking about what’s coming next.

Of course, this is true for any platform, as you can be sure the engineers at Microsoft and Sony are both researching and working on the successor to their platforms and they only launched just last year. Still, it’s nice to see top brass at Nintendo acknowledge that there’s still a lot more potential in the Wii U, despite third-party abandonment.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/11/reggie-says-nintendos-next-console-wont-launch-until-the-wii-u-is-out-of-potential/

Sorry if this thread was made.

`

Around the Network

So much space for jokes...*shivering*

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

OMG, new console is launching this holiday season....

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

So there was a new Nintendo console last year?

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Reggie's on the right track.

Not sure if haters in the thread, or people looking to post a good joke.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo said some time back that the Wii U wouldn't be retired until Wii U customers were satisfied, or words to that effect, and the fact that they all start thinking about designing the next console shortly after the launch of the last is not news.

What makes me scratch my head is why they haven't utilised more of the Wii U's capabilities before now. I mean, that NFC reader has been dormant for two years before Amiibo.

So that's like in 3-4 years...

Like always then or nearly.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Nope too easy.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I hope in "Wii D" in 2019 but... too much.

2017/2018 is more realistic.

Five year cycle. Bank on it.