By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Is Working Towards “a Future Where Consoles Could Disappear” as it Tackles Cloud Gaming

Soundwave said:

I get the feeling for better or worse, our kids will laugh at us when we tell them we had to drive to the store and pay $50-$60 a pop for one single game that came on some type of shiny plastic disc. Heck, they may even laugh at the concept of a dedicated game console in and of itself. 

Like I'm laughing now that my parents could go to a store around the corner, browse through racks of LPs of their favourite music and pick up a new album for $3.49 with awesome artwork and extras inside...

My kids will marvel at how I could buy games for $5 second hand, or a whole bunch of them on ebay or garage sales, play them all day as much as I wanted not being restricted by paying $5 an hour for streaming from a selection. $60 to own a new release and play as long as you want and swap games with friends will sound like a fairy tale by then. Same with stories of how I could take the console and a bunch of games with us to the cottage and play 4 player local co-op all night at no extra cost.

Around the Network

Count me out of that future, thanks.

I prefer physical copies,but I don't really mind digital.

KungKras said:
All I can say is that if you guys would have bought the Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 and Gamecube over the PS1 and PS2, you wouldn't have a gaming industry where the leading console maker obsesses over stuff like this.

You guys got exactly the game industry that you deserve when you made your console choices over history.

I get the feeling many posters on these boards were still in diapers when the Saturn came out.

Besides the DC was the first console to really push it's internet capabilities, whos to say Sega wouldn't have pushed digital.

My question is how can Playstation become a service?

What would keep Activision or Ubisoft from creating their own "app" and selling their games directly without needing Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo?

Around the Network
sidmeiernintifan said:

What would keep Activision or Ubisoft from creating their own "app" and selling their games directly without needing Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo?

Well neither of them supports Nintendo already, so... but yup nothing would stop them of doing that and that's why gaming will suck soon. I'm getting physical games like crazy to become retro-only gamer. I won't be part of this

leyendax69 said:
sidmeiernintifan said:

Well neither of them supports Nintendo already, so... but yup nothing would stop them of doing that and that's why gaming will suck soon. I'm getting physical games like crazy to become retro-only gamer. I won't be part of this

I know, my point is that it looks like they will no longer need hardware makers, they will create their Activision, EA or Ubisoft steam and you will be able to download the games to any ipad, laptop or smart tv.

toot1231 said:
Gaming is dead to me when something like this happens.

Same here nail in the coffin.

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

sidmeiernintifan said:
leyendax69 said:
sidmeiernintifan said:

I know, my point is that it looks like they will no longer need hardware makers, they will create their Activision, EA or Ubisoft steam and you will be able to download the games to any ipad, laptop or smart tv.

Bingo. It has already started with EA Access and Ubisoft looking into following them. The big companies will end up with their own streaming services. The age of making better games and getting the most out of the hardware to lure customers will be over. Back to coin op type practices, now with mediocre streaming quality.

JOKA_ said:
Haha does everyone in here still buy CDs and DVD/BluRays?

Yep.