By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft: Wii U Owners Don’t Buy Assassin’s Creed; More Interested in Just Dance

but to be fair, Just Dance aint doing hot either, that series is done

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
Cobretti2 said:

You can't expect Nintend only gamers to just suddenly purchase a 3rd or 4th game in the series without playing the first 2.

This statement has no merit... back during the PS2 days millions of people bought Grand Theft Auto III without ever having even heard of (much less played) the first 2.  This past gen millions of people initially bought games like Call of Duty 4 , Fallout 3, Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V), etc, when they had never played a previous installment of these franchises.  By your logic, Sony and M$ gamers should've ignored these franchises because they never played them before.

Bottom line is this... gamers that game primarily on Sony or M$ consoles do not exclusively play 1st party titles, and are much more open to trying out new games / franchises than Nintendo gamers are... how many times each generation for example do we hear Nintendo fans clamor for the next Mario/Zelda/DK/Metroid/Starfox/Pokemon/Kirby/F-Zero etc?  It's almost as if these are the only games they care about... hmmm.

Meanwhile, the Wii U actually gets some halfway-decent 3rd party support initially, launching alongside servicable exclusives like ZombiU and Lego City while getting many of the big AAA franchises like AC and COD, along with enhanced ports of popular titles like Darksiders II and Arkham City... and Nintendo fans respond by completely ignoring these big 3rd party franchises because "they didn't play the other games in the series"?   What?!?

Man you picked the exception to the rule here. The 4 games out of 1000s that have been released had all been ground breaking changes (i,e 2D to 3D, 1000th game based on WW2 suddent becomes modern warfare etc.. which Nintendo gamers missed out on and ended up buying a 360/PS3 for), essentially series reboots to liven up the franchises.  There was also huge hype for those games.

The half decent support you talk of on Wii U was pretty much all late last gen ports and had missing features like DLC. People will arguie DLC is meaninging less, I agree. However to a consumer looking at the comparission between 1 and 2 platforms will feel cheated out on even if they do not intent to get the DLC. They will also start to wonder what else is missing.

If you bothered to actually read all my posts I am not excusing this cause the problem has been growing since N64 days created by many parties not just Nintendo. Wii was abandoned before it even launched so all you got left is bare mimimum core base. As you know you  cannot squeeze blood out of a stone when the core gamers who like those franchises left ages ago.  The remaining adult gamers on that system will be picky in what they buy and essentially most not all only play Nintendo games.

As I said in other posts this problem will take generations to fix to rebuild a new fan base. so 3rd parties cannot expect great results. Nintendo is the only one that can fix this by provding incentives to devs to get those games on their system to satisfy the new kids growing up before they too grow up and leave.

Casual games is also no the answer like Ubisoft claims. Just dance is on the decline. 

Hell look at Nintendo game sales on Wii U and not isolate 3rd party as a bubble. Most of these have sold shit too compared to last gen. Wii U is a failure in general ATM. Only a miracle will turn things around. 

I think this comment best sums up this situation. This is from the article page on VGC posted by Mandalore76:

" So basically, Watch Dogs was released on all systems already but Wii U. 5.5 million people already bought the game. Ubisoft is going to release it on Wii U late, and then point the finger at Wii U owners for not buying it in droves when everybody who wanted the game probably already owns it on another system by now? That's called crafting your own reality. It's like leaving a finished game in a warehouse for 7 months instead of releasing it and then wondering why you posted a loss at the end of the fiscal year. Oh wait, they did that too."

Ubisoft and others developers are creating a self-fulling prophecy with logic like this. They destroying the potential for the games have to sell on Wii U by not releasing on time and then turn around blame it on the Wii U owner.

Its just business guys not an art or anything, he's here to make money so that shareholders are happy and his studios can make bigger better games for gamers so that can he make more ... money. Kind of a shame since i was hoping to buy AC rogue on the Wii u.

I can at least give him credit for not indulging in corp bs.

NightDragon83 said:
Darc Requiem said:
NightDragon83 said:
If Wii U owners actually put their money where there collective mouths are then 3rd parties wouldn't be running for the hills. Why should a developer waste resources and money to port a game that will sell a fraction of what it will on other platforms?

It's a chicken and the egg scenario. Most diehard Nintendo fans haven't seen good third party support since the SNES era. That's two decades ago. Any newer Nintendo fans have seen nothing but crap and half hearted efforts 3rd parties. At this point, an audience would have to be essentially built from the ground up. I look at younger gamers like my cousin. He's 14 years old, he's never seen a Nintendo home console with good third party support. He doesn't even consider third party games on Nintendo platforms because he's never had a reason too.

Well to be fair it's also been awhile since Nintendo released a console that was technically on par with its competitors in the same generation, something that younger gamers like your cousin have never experienced either.  GameCube was the last to do that, and it also had decent third party support for most of its life although it missed out on some of the heavy hitters like GTA because of Nintendo's self-fulfilling prophecy of being labeled as a "kiddie" company for their refusal to develop and / or promote M-rated games on their consoles... which ironically is now back in the news as Ubisoft announced it'll no longer make M-rated games on Wii U because *gasp* they don't sell!

The problem is that did promote  M Rated games on the Gamecube. They released Eternal Darkness and made a deal with Capcom for the Resident Evil franchise. When Iwata took over for Yamauchi during the GC era, he actively pursued third parties and got little in return. He made a deal for Tales Of, which was supposed to net multiple titles and got Tales of Symphonia in return. He went after Metal Gear and even gave Konami a team to develop it for them and Konami didn't promote the game. "They didn't want it taking away from MGS2 sales", the game didn't even release at the same time. Sega titles sold better on GC on average than did on even PS2. Yet PS2 and Xbox got better support from Sega. They still got gimped 3rd party games. The Splinter Cell games on GC were half assed ports the PS2 version. Despite being more powerful, the GC version of third party games usually often ran the worse, they were often half assed ports of the PS2 version of the games handled by third tier development teams. The Gamecube is the prime example of why Nintendo platforms are where they are now in terms of third party support. Nintendo did what they everyone wants them to do now and handed cash to third parties for support. GC owners bought third party games and  they still got the shaft.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
I would like to thank Ubisoft for the time and effort they made supporting the wiiu.. Its has been better then any other major publisher and i do hope that Wiiu owners will prove you wrong with great Watch Dogs sales..

Yup! WiiU owners wil do exactly just that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

padib said:
EricFabian said:
padib said:
Um, no.

It's not about just dance or other experiences, it's about games they like. ZombiU sold relatively well though maybe not the numbers Ubi was looking for.

Nintendo gamers buy certain types of games, and that may not necessarily mean Just Dance. A great recent example is Shovel Knight. Don't come and tell me that's like Just Dance Mr. Guillemot.

sure is not. But Wii U owners didn't nuy AC and he is right about

He's right about that but he's wrong about generalising on Just Dance and Mature games. If you want my opinion I think he, like most 3rd party bosses, is a bonehead.

Sales don't lie bro. 

Those games don't sell well on Nintendo consoles. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

So by their own logic, No one wants to buy Just Dance on Wii U either. How about we just skip Just Dance on Wii U and bring us Assassin's Creed instead?

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

POE said:
He is right, i have a lot of fun playing just dance with my GF. Assassins Creed is boring and stupid as hell.
It makes me laugh how at the end of the OP he thinks Assassins Creed is "mature".

there is no difference between the people making "mature" games and the people buying them

didn't Zombie U sell more than just dance on WiiU? so how come they forget that game?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

AZWification said:
NiKKoM said:
I would like to thank Ubisoft for the time and effort they made supporting the wiiu.. Its has been better then any other major publisher and i do hope that Wiiu owners will prove you wrong with great Watch Dogs sales..

Yup! WiiU owners wil do exactly just that!

I know that was sarcasm but honestly the way Ubi has treated me as a Nintendo fan I won't be buying any of their games ever again weather that be on Nintendo systems or any other for that matter as I've had enough of their BS!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(