By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft: Wii U Owners Don’t Buy Assassin’s Creed; More Interested in Just Dance

Darc Requiem said:
NightDragon83 said:
If Wii U owners actually put their money where there collective mouths are then 3rd parties wouldn't be running for the hills. Why should a developer waste resources and money to port a game that will sell a fraction of what it will on other platforms?

It's a chicken and the egg scenario. Most diehard Nintendo fans haven't seen good third party support since the SNES era. That's two decades ago. Any newer Nintendo fans have seen nothing but crap and half hearted efforts 3rd parties. At this point, an audience would have to be essentially built from the ground up. I look at younger gamers like my cousin. He's 14 years old, he's never seen a Nintendo home console with good third party support. He doesn't even consider third party games on Nintendo platforms because he's never had a reason too.

I's say the Gamecube had pretty good 3rd party support. Had all the movie tie in games, the EA sports games, the CODs and Medal of Honours. All it really lacked was GTA.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
NightDragon83 said:
If Wii U owners actually put their money where there collective mouths are then 3rd parties wouldn't be running for the hills. Why should a developer waste resources and money to port a game that will sell a fraction of what it will on other platforms?

It's a chicken and the egg scenario. Most diehard Nintendo fans haven't seen good third party support since the SNES era. That's two decades ago. Any newer Nintendo fans have seen nothing but crap and half hearted efforts 3rd parties. At this point, an audience would have to be essentially built from the ground up. I look at younger gamers like my cousin. He's 14 years old, he's never seen a Nintendo home console with good third party support. He doesn't even consider third party games on Nintendo platforms because he's never had a reason too.

Well to be fair it's also been awhile since Nintendo released a console that was technically on par with its competitors in the same generation, something that younger gamers like your cousin have never experienced either.  GameCube was the last to do that, and it also had decent third party support for most of its life although it missed out on some of the heavy hitters like GTA because of Nintendo's self-fulfilling prophecy of being labeled as a "kiddie" company for their refusal to develop and / or promote M-rated games on their consoles... which ironically is now back in the news as Ubisoft announced it'll no longer make M-rated games on Wii U because *gasp* they don't sell!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

As an avid Nintendo gamer I generally dont but these types of games on my Wii U or PS3. Especially Just Dance!

I bought AC4 on Wii U, finished it and have very little inclination to buy any more in the series. They just dont interest me. Not because they are 'mature', but because I find them mediocre. A friend of mine thinks the same and I like to think many others do too.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Cobretti2 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There is some validity to that argument, but it doesn't excuse the abysmal sales of virtually all the core games.

There is just a general lack of interest in core games on Wii U and people are looking for excuses.

But what core games have been on Wii U that you can say wow this is new and come out on time which wasn't a sequel?

The biggest problem is that the core has left generations ago. The little core that is still around will not buy games that are late or lack features and they think its a kick in the guts.

This issue isn't exclusive to Wii U, its a problem that has been getting bigger and bigger since N64. Nintendo are the only ones that can fix it but whtever means necessary to do so.  

Their only hope is to ensure the kids they have today playing their games don't grow up and move on. They need to provide for these kids turning into adults. THis audicne will take time to grow and eventually more and more adults will remain on Nintendo systems.

For the old Nintendo fans. Most are gone for good. Some would come back sure but you can't bank on a quick fix when the next gen of kids is ready to play adult games and will move on if you don't feed them what they want.

I think what you're saying are good reasons for why core games are more successful on other platforms. I'm simply arguing there is a very small core audience on Wii U and that won't change.

It looks like the people buying Wii U overwhelmingly just want casual experiences. The type of stuff we expect from Nintendo.

In a nutshell, Nintendo should focus on the type games that brought people to Nintendo platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

So, what am I, non existant? Just bought Assassin's Creed IV, along with Rayman Legends (both for like $15 a piece, even a poor recent college grad like me can't resist that). Come on Ubisoft, you're about the only major third party that makes quality games for us 20 somethings Wii U owners out there! Surely SOMEONE must be buying your software considering how few other games on the console fit that need. Don't give up now!

I try to like Ubisoft. They are one of my favorite third parties, but they just continue to screw up (Rayman Legends delay) and make stupid statements like this. In the end I guess they're just another third party who unfoundedly whines about Nintendo and its fans. *sigh* At least they actually MAKE the quality games to back it up, which is more than I can say about virtually every major third party effort on Nintendo consoles in the last 20 years.. Gotta give 'em that..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

So, what am I, non existant? Just bought Assassin's Creed IV, along with Rayman Legends (both for like $15 a piece, even a poor recent college grad like me can't resist that). Come on Ubisoft, you're about the only major third party that makes quality games for us 20 somethings Wii U owners out there! Surely SOMEONE must be buying your software considering how few other games on the console fit that need. Don't give up now!

I try to like Ubisoft. They are one of my favorite third parties, but they just continue to screw up (Rayman Legends delay) and make stupid statements like this. In the end I guess they're just another third party who unfoundedly whines about Nintendo and its fans. *sigh* At least they actually MAKE the quality games to back it up, which is more than I can say about virtually every major third party effort on Nintendo consoles in the last 20 years.. Gotta give 'em that..

Before you blame them, look at the sales of their games on Wii U. They have all sold terribly, especially the Assassin's Creed games. And you didn't really help them much in the cause if you bought their games for only $15 apiece.

Btw, Wii U owners will likely continue to get Rayman games.

You Nintendo fans continue to shaft them, and thus they decided to shaft you. That is absolutely fair.

To be honest Just Dance didn't sell all that much compared to Assassin's Creed on Wii U.

I think Ubisoft would be more accurate to say most games don't do well on Wii U.

My 8th gen collection

Ucell said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Before you blame them, look at the sales of their games on Wii U. They have all sold terribly, especially the Assassin's Creed games. And you didn't really help them much in the cause if you bought their games for only $15 apiece.

Btw, Wii U owners will likely continue to get Rayman games.

You Nintendo fans continue to shaft them, and thus they decided to shaft you. That is absolutely fair.

Haha you are saying that to the wrong guy. I've bought dozens of third party games on Nintendo platforms over the years. I just love being sterotyped by people who know nothing about me!

Wrong. They shaft us, we shaft back.. The customer is always right. (Most of) these third parties insist on delaying, porting (using their b and c dev teams), downgrading, and cranking out garbage, thus they get garbage sales. Numbers don't lie.. Nintendo doesn't have some sort of enchanted spell on these people.. They are simply smart consumers who can recognize where the quality is in their library. The problem is that 95% of the quality tends to come from Nintendo software, and so they get 95% of the sales.

If anyone is to blame, it is Nintendo for making their games TOO good. Damn them!

And PS, Ubi didn't deserve more than my $15 for Rayman considering how they handled the Wii U release. *Days before launch* "Uhhh actually guys, we're gonna delay one of the premiere games for your console than has roughly 28 games for 8 months so we can release it on two more consoles that have about 500 games a piece, for a userbase that probably isn't even going to care. K thx!" If they released it at launch, I may have spent full price on it. But alas, time moves on, and I lost interest after the several other games I purchased in that time.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

we can make all the excuses we want. Numbers dont lie. AC games sell like crap on the system. The excuses are quite funny. "what did you expect when you release the 5th game in the series" thats just dumb, and if they released the older games and they flopped people would complain they shouldnt have released the older game. "DLC" yeah cause DLC for AC has always been a big deal. Give me a break.

The demograph aitn there, deal with it. and no ZombiU didnt do good when you consider its a launch game and had some bundles

DarthMetalliCube said:

Haha you are saying that to the wrong guy. I've bought dozens of third party games on Nintendo platforms over the years. I just love being sterotyped by people who know nothing about me!

Wrong. They shaft us, we shaft back.. The customer is always right. (Most of) these third parties insist on delaying, porting (using their b and c dev teams), downgrading, and cranking out garbage, thus they get garbage sales. Numbers don't lie.. Nintendo doesn't have some sort of enchanted spell on these people.. They are simply smart consumers who can recognize where the quality is in their library. The problem is that 95% of the quality tends to come from Nintendo software, and so they get 95% of the sales.

If anyone is to blame, it is Nintendo for making their games TOO good. Damn them!

And PS, Ubi didn't deserve more than my $15 for Rayman considering how they handled the Wii U release. *Days before launch* "Uhhh actually guys, we're gonna delay one of the premiere games for your console than has roughly 28 games for 8 months so we can release it on two more consoles that have about 500 games a piece, for a userbase that probably isn't even going to care. K thx!" If they released it at launch, I may have spent full price on it. But alas, time moves on, and I lost interest after the several other games I purchased in that time.

Bolded 1: Of course they wouldn't put their A teams on a Wii U port, they know what kind of sales to expect even in the best case scenario. You can't expect them to perform or look in he same vein as the PS4/X1/PC versions. Also, if you think they crank out garbage, why do you care about their support at all?

Bolded 2: That is a problem with Nintendo fans. They think Nintendo is the god of gaming, they make the best games, no third-party can touch them. Truth is, if you don't like their games and don't buy their software, they are 100% not going to support you. And they did a mistake by supporting you guys so far, perhaps because you don't deserve it. Again, if you dislike their games and only like Nintendo games, you shouldn't complain about getting only Nintendo games on the Wii U.

Also about that Rayman thing, its fine you didn't pay full price for the delay. But what about AC IV: BF? It released at the same time as the other versions on the Wii U, and you still decided to buy it only for $15.