By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Diebuster was interesting...I could have done without the borderline rape in the first episode (maybe second? I think it was the first) but overall it was a fun show

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Diebuster was interesting...I could have done without the borderline rape in the first episode (maybe second? I think it was the first) but overall it was a fun show

Well there was a bit of teasing in the first and in the 4th some real attempted rape. But all in all in line with the story.

While it is an action anime I was amazed about all of the subtlety of real human problems and emotions.

Story wise it's pretty much a fusion of NGE and Gurren Lagann.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
sundin13 said:

Well there was a bit of teasing in the first and in the 4th some real attempted rape. But all in all in line with the story.

While it is an action anime I was amazed about all of the subtlety of real human problems and emotions.

I'm talking about the sexual harassment by the guys in the robots in the first episode (or at least thats what I think I'm talking about)...just way too much really skeevy fan service way too soon.

I liked it but that was a bit of a hard point to get around.

sundin13 said:
vivster said:
sundin13 said:

I'm talking about the sexual harassment by the guys in the robots in the first episode (or at least thats what I think I'm talking about)...just way too much really skeevy fan service way too soon.

I liked it but that was a bit of a hard point to get around.

So you objected to the anime standard of a bit sexual teasing but not to the actual attemted rape?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

So you objected to the anime standard of a bit sexual teasing but not to the actual attemted rape?

That wasn't standard...it was creepy and pointless and really unpleasant to watch. It was practically hentai level, with the girl yelling "No! Stop! Not There!" while a group of really fucking creepy guys proceeded to probe her and molest her. I don't know why anybody at Gainax thought that was funny or arousing, but starting with that five minutes into the show and then going from there to her being basically naked by the end of the episode is not a good tone to start a show off on.

The attempted rape is different because it was part of the story. I am perfectly fine with shows depicting taboos and whatnot, but that only really applies when it is done for the sake of the story and not when it is done for a laugh. I am also fine with fanservice, but there is a line. Kill la Kill did not cross that line (and I believe it to be one of the best uses of fanservice in anime), but this show did.

Once again, I liked it overall, but that begining tarnished my entire viewing experience. 

Any other opinions?

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
vivster said:

That wasn't standard...it was creepy and pointless and really unpleasant to watch. It was practically hentai level, with the girl yelling "No! Stop! Not There!" while a group of really fucking creepy guys proceeded to probe her and molest her. I don't know why anybody at Gainax thought that was funny or arousing, but starting with that five minutes into the show and then going from there to her being basically naked by the end of the episode is not a good tone to start a show off on.

The attempted rape is different because it was part of the story. I am perfectly fine with shows depicting taboos and whatnot, but that only really applies when it is done for the sake of the story and not when it is done for a laugh. I am also fine with fanservice, but there is a line. Kill la Kill did not cross that line (and I believe it to be one of the best uses of fanservice in anime), but this show did.

Once again, I liked it overall, but that begining tarnished my entire viewing experience.

Any other opinions?

I didn't think it was over the line. It seemed rather tame compared to all the unapproved boob and ass grabbing we usually see in animes. And it's a Gainax Anime after all. Remember the Onsen Episode in Gurren Lagann? They love objectifying female characters :)

Just rewatched the scene again. It wasn't even that sexual. They just tossed her around the air a bit.

vivster said:

I didn't think it was over the line. It seemed rather tame compared to all the unapproved boob and ass grabbing we usually see in animes. And it's a Gainax Anime after all. Remember the Onsen Episode in Gurren Lagann? They love objectifying female characters :)

Just rewatched the scene again. It wasn't even that sexual. They just tossed her around the air a bit.

Typically we don't have the group of super creeps molesting her while she yells "Anywhere but there"...like I said, that is way too hentai. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. Nothing wrong with it not leaving a bad taste in your mouth, but I'd say that there is a pretty big difference between that and just about any other fanservice I have seen (and I've seen a lot).

PS: I did watch it again (before my last comment), still creeps me out...

Winter update will come as soon as more footage for the winter anime is released. Might be in a week, maybe 2. Suggestions for top anime?

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

sundin13 said:
vivster said:

Typically we don't have the group of super creeps molesting her while she yells "Anywhere but there"...like I said, that is way too hentai. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. Nothing wrong with it not leaving a bad taste in your mouth, but I'd say that there is a pretty big difference between that and just about any other fanservice I have seen (and I've seen a lot).

PS: I did watch it again (before my last comment), still creeps me out...

Meh, I'm probably cold to things like this. I enjoyed the stellar performance of the voice actress more than anything in this scene. I just love her voice, she reminded me a lot of Rieko Miura in R.O.D.

Just found out, she was also Nia in Gurren and Mako's mother in Kill La Kill :)

New Key Anime in the works :)

Stock up on tissues, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haR7oErj7kg