By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Wii U/3DS not ‘high’ in ‘most-wanted’ lists

While fielding a question about why the Wii U doesn’t have that many single-player core gaming experiences like Xenoblade Chronicles and other Wii games. Nintendo says that this is changing and has been due largely to delays. One particular comment stuck out to me though. It’s the bold part below.

Nintendo says:

Games for core users have been delayed in coming, but Monolithsoft’s Xenoblade Chronicles X will be released. Devil’s Third as well. They had a slow start, but more and more will be released. We used the term open-world games to help you understand, but in development, we don’t call them open-world games. There are games that other companies produce at great cost, and cannot become profitable without reaching the top 10. Even new titles need to be promoted in the marketplace. Leisure options have increased. Our products no longer rank as high in most-wanted product lists. The flow of information has changed greatly. We’re optimistic about using smartphones and SNS in marketing.

I’m surprised Nintendo admitted in this statement that their products aren’t as popular anymore and aren’t ranked in “most-wanted product lists”.

To be fair, Xbox and Playstation consoles also struggle to reach that status every year and with countless new tablets and phones releasing every day, its hard for traditional gaming devices to stay atop “most wanted” lists since they generally don’t get replaced as often as mobile devices.

To be fair, the bulk of “most wanted” lists you see on popular sites aren’t usually indicative of anything at all.

I will say that I believe Nintendo has really stepped up their game with their Wii U marketing this year. Mario Kart 8 actually had ads during major TV shows, they worked with pop culture and comedy figures like Mega 64 and with the folks behind Robot Chicken too. They seem to have gotten the message that they’re marketing wasn’t great the past few years and they seem to have taken action to change that. So maybe with this new commitment to marketing, Nintendo’s products will start appearing in “most wanted” lists.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/06/nintendo-wii-u3ds-high-wanted-lists/

Around the Network

there games are imo
zelda u and hyrule warriors are 3 and 4 in amazon users opinion

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

OfficerRaichu15 said:
there games are imo

They are not talking about temporary positions. They mean it as a trend.

bubblegamer said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
there games are imo

They are not talking about temporary positions. They mean it as a trend.

ok got it

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

To be honest it's mostly children who want Nintendo's machines. Children aren't taking surveys. Not a knock, just an observation.

Around the Network
UndauntedWizdom said:
To be honest it's mostly children who want Nintendo's machines. Children aren't taking surveys. Not a knock, just an observation.

Well, there are people/retailers that make lists of the hottest toys/gifts for children as well. Wii and DS would be all over those things. I don't know if WiiU and 3DS find quite the same treatment.

This is not news to us, of course, but it is a healthy admission from Nintendo, at least.

I know we've just seen epic launches from PS4 and Xbox One but I kinda feel like gaming itself isn't as big as it once was. Anecdotal as it is, mostly when I see a console at someone's house, it's just a Netflix box and nothing more.

d21lewis said:
I know we've just seen epic launches from PS4 and Xbox One but I kinda feel like gaming itself isn't as big as it once was. Anecdotal as it is, mostly when I see a console at someone's house, it's just a Netflix box and nothing more.

I don't think it's gaming per se. I think it's more to do with economics that anything. Prices for everything have gone up. So as we see the decline in sales for expensive consoles and games we see the increase in sales/popularity for $10 or less mobile games. 

The problem is that Nintendo address many flaws but does nothing to fix it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
The problem is that Nintendo address many flaws but does nothing to fix it.

Well they can't fix everything, however much they would want. Not every product catches fire, some just flop and companies try again. There is only one iPhone, even though every other company would like to have one.