By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft CEO: “Nintendo has to perform this year, otherwise they will have less games”

It's fair to say that no Ubisoft game (or any third party title for that matter) will sell more software on a Nintendo console than Nintendo's own first party games.

Really it's business 101. When you invest, you weigh risks against return. In the Wii U's case, they are being or have been surpassed by consoles that have been out a year less than the U. If the trend continues than Sony will continue to grow their lead and MS will find it's footing. I kept reading how 2014 was going to be some magical year coming off 2013 which had an ok group of games. So far we are nearly halfway through the year and what has there been DK (another platformer) and MK8. The next 3 months have 1 exclusive game which is a reskinned spinoff. The rest of the year has nothing finalized yet, that's pathetic. Why should Ubisoft take heat when Nintendo themselves has only MK8 done so far this year, and maybe Smash bros but I doubt we'll get the console version this year.

Finally the Wii U controller just fails to innovate. It's just there, something even Nintendo half asses with, and I fail to see more than a few games which benefit or could have been done without the extra programming and effort it takes. If done properly, it might have been something cool but not even Nintendo has set a precedent for how innovate the controller can be.

Around the Network

Wow, I never expected 300 comments for this thread! Its sort of the same bad news we hear all the time for the Wii U. I guess you guys must have been really eager to post after the site was down for so long!

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

padib said:

Thanks for understanding. That is what I mean. About them making an exclusive, I never said that's what they should do. I only said that if it did happen I would shut my mouth immediately.

I understand. Nintendo built their market on their console much like 3rd parties have built their mutual market on Sony and MS' consoles. It's nobody's fault, but the onus is on Ubi to start building their market to make it their and Nintendo's game. The sooner they start, the sooner they succeed on a Nintendo console (if they want to of course).

1 - Then I presume you mean that, unless Ubisoft Montreal makes an exclusive for WiiU, Ubisoft has no right to criticize the system. I disagree. I believe things can (and should) start by baby steps (like it happened with the Wii as Ubisoft launched initially low-budget party, fitness and dance games) and then, only if successful, the publisher should increase the attention to the console, placing more and more resources on it. To create an AAA exclusive is the ultimate stage and very few large companies do such these days without a technological reason or a very strong motive. And the few who do most probably regret it. Last generation I remember Bioshock, Mass Effect, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, among others, going multiplatform. This generation, Insomniac, Platinum Games and Respawn Entertainment must be regreting their choice of making exclusives for XOne and WiiU, as the PS4 is leading the market.

2 - It's not just about building a market on a console. The console itself has to be fertile ground to sell 3rd party software. More than a market built on PS3 and X360, Ubisoft had a friendly environment there, powerful machines (at their time) and a userbase very receptive to AAA titles. The same scenario was drawn to PS4 and XOne, so there was almost no risk on developing for those new platforms (although there was no market yet). The WiiU is different as it hasn't regarded 3rd parties. It was poorly designed for AAA games and wrongly priced for casual titles. Some things just can't be changed now (it's already too late) but others can. Nintendo must focus on the latter and this message from Ubisoft should serve as motivation, once it means they haven't given up on WiiU yet.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Conina said:
Zod95 said:

I guess what he's trying to say is that Ubisoft Montreal is better at making games. Therefore, even if people don't know it's them behind the game, the quality they put into it will drive the sales.

Well, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends have much better reviews than Watch Dogs or most AC-games... didn't really help them.

Perhaps the development budget and PR-budget is more important than the actual quality of these games. ;)

There you see how little the experts' opinion may tell about the quality of a game. The critic was proven wrong after Assassin's Creed to sell strongly and its sequels having much better reviews.

It seems the development budget was the same between Assassin's Creed 1 and Zombie U. As for the PR-budget I don't know but Zombie U was presented as a great novelty for the next generation, just like Assassin's Creed.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

oniyide said:
Zod95 said:
oniyide said:
padib said:
oniyide said:

haahahaha. the despertation is almost funny. See i didnt even know any of this and i consider myself a fan. So i know most end users have no idea, or dont care. At this point the game will sell on the name alone. Much like all big franchises, hell even the Vita one managed a million and that was handled by a team who never even made an action game i believe. let alone an AC one

He was wrong -_-

Whether the end users care or not, the numbers stand.

he was wrong about what? the end users not caring? no he's right about that. Most people dont even know who made what. Numbers dont make this untrue, they dont prove anything.

I guess what he's trying to say is that Ubisoft Montreal is better at making games. Therefore, even if people don't know it's them behind the game, the quality they put into it will drive the sales.

Regarding his claim that Ubisoft Montreal should do an exclusive for WiiU, I totally disagree. I don't remember them making an exclusive for any PlayStation (which have gave them many more sales). They would be crazy to do one for WiiU.

nobody was really disputing that. Quality drives games but if thats the case why are there games flopping on WIi U?

No they shouldnt make an exclusive for WIi U, there time is better spent making games for systems that people will actually buy. LOL if thats what he really thinks. Ninty isnt owed an exclusive. 

It seemed to me that you were not getting what he was saying. Now I see where you're coming from. Answering your question: because the console is too expensive for casuals and too weak for hardcore gamers. The market is just not there but for Nintendo games. I completely agree with you. padib's hope may be that, if Ubisoft Montreal put their magic into a title tailored for WiiU, the sales would be great and then 3rd party support could grow viral.

Around the Network
padib said:

To prove it. If Nintendo was the only console on the market, you can bet that Ubi would find a way to make money on it.

Of course it's possible. It may just not be the easiest way and, thus, it may not be the smartest choice. You're talking about a scenario where there is no choice. Moreover, if that was the case, the WiiU would have a huge user base (therefore being much more appealing than what it is now). In the end, resources are limited and they must be well managed. Ubisoft will only think it's worth to channel further resources to WiiU if they don't see them better used on other platforms.

padib said:
Zod95 said:

1 - Then I presume you mean that, unless Ubisoft Montreal makes an exclusive for WiiU, Ubisoft has no right to criticize the system. I disagree. I believe things can (and should) start by baby steps (like it happened with the Wii as Ubisoft launched initially low-budget party, fitness and dance games) and then, only if successful, the publisher should increase the attention to the console, placing more and more resources on it. To create an AAA exclusive is the ultimate stage and very few large companies do such these days without a technological reason or a very strong motive. And the few who do most probably regret it. Last generation I remember Bioshock, Mass Effect, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, among others, going multiplatform. This generation, Insomniac, Platinum Games and Respawn Entertainment must be regreting their choice of making exclusives for XOne and WiiU, as the PS4 is leading the market.

2 - It's not just about building a market on a console. The console itself has to be fertile ground to sell 3rd party software. More than a market built on PS3 and X360, Ubisoft had a friendly environment there, powerful machines (at their time) and a userbase very receptive to AAA titles. The same scenario was drawn to PS4 and XOne, so there was almost no risk on developing for those new platforms (although there was no market yet). The WiiU is different as it hasn't regarded 3rd parties. It was poorly designed for AAA games and wrongly priced for casual titles. Some things just can't be changed now (it's already too late) but others can. Nintendo must focus on the latter and this message from Ubisoft should serve as motivation, once it means they haven't given up on WiiU yet.

@bold. No, I just meant that if it were to happen then I'd have absolutely no excuse to give.

@AAA exclusive being the ultimate stage. Sure, that's true. However that is how you build a market. EA built a market for themselves on X1 with Titanfall, but I agree that a few others will regret it. I understand it is a business risk, and I agree. All I'm saying is that that is how the market is build. No risk, no reward.

And certainly not on the U. The trouble with a multiplat AAA on the U is that at this point it does nothing for the console because the console is not fertile ground (as you well said it). The 3rd parties have not tilled it in their favor during the post-SNES history. During the Wii era, many of their games were cash-ins, which are now leaving them high and dry.

@2. You're very right. However the U was not poorly designed for AAA, it was (intentionally) poorly designed for AAA that sell on MicroSony consoles. Other than that I agree with you. However, looking at the Wii and the DS, and all of Nintendo's successful consoles, there is room for AAA that is successful on consoles other than MicroSony's. That's how Ubi would need to look at it on the U.

As the best example, Sega made games that were unique to them for the Dreamcast. Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Jet Grind Radio. The Dreamcast had a market that was very different from either Nintendo's or SonyMS'. Closer to Nintendo's sure, but still different. That market existed, was AAA, and was not a SonyMS market.

If I were Ubi and serious about paving a different AAA market on the U, that's how I would approach it.

I don't think this is common thinking though.

@ 1st underlined: They didn't engage into that kind of risk with Watch Dogs and the reward is being huge.

@ 2nd underlined: It was the other way around. Nintendo consoles were not designed for 3rd party success or even freedom. The console defines the support rather than the opposite. Regarding Wii, you may be right, but then I can tell the same thing about Wii Fit or even the entire Nintendo (blaming WiiU's lack of success on Wii's greedy short-term gains).

@rest: Then, bad decision from Nintendo and poor choice from you picking Sega as an example. Those are the kind of familiar environments that ruled the first generations of consoles. Things have changed since PlayStation 1 into a mainstream environment capturing almost all of the market. Wii was the exception of the rule and Nintendo should have understood that. Now they're paying the price. I hope they finally learn and release a powerful console dev friendly next time because they're shrinking and Sega has gone long ago.

padib said:
MoHasanie said:
Wow, I never expected 300 comments for this thread! Its sort of the same bad news we hear all the time for the Wii U. I guess you guys must have been really eager to post after the site was down for so long!

I find that threads where 3rd parties comment on Nintendo are the hottest topics on vgchartz.

Only the negative ones

Arcturus said:
Teeqoz said:

But the least you could expect is that it should run equal or better to the ps360 versions, and it didn't. That isn't the Wii U's fault, it is Ubi's fault.

You have a source on this you can share? I remember seeing a comparison video just before release and I recall it running as good, if not better, than the PS3 and 360 versions.

EDIT: The video I'm referring to is in this link:
http://wiiudaily.com/2013/11/wii-u-vs-ps4-assassins-creed/

"As you can see, the Wii U clearly sits between the Playstatition 3 and the PlayStation 4, which is what many developers have been saying all along. "

I was just basing it of the poster above me who said he had issues that weren't present on the other platforms.

Conina said:

1) The tablet controller is more comfortable than I expected... but in what way is it better than regular controllers like the Wii U Pro controller, when most games don't take advantage of its "unique" potential?

2) each console is in competition to every other console which is still in production and on the shelves... not only to these artificially labeled with "8th generation"

5) PC, PS4 and XBO have a common base with the x86-architecture and similar hardware power and RAM ressources... that reduces costs for multiplatform developments... the Wii U is (in comparison) the underpowered "exotic" which can't profit from the symbiotic effects of similar hardware

6) the Ubisoft 3DS-bribes doesn't seem to work... that's what this thread is all about. And Capcom doesn't make more games for 3DS or Wii U than for other systems

7) then please explain where that mysterious "unique audience" is... when will they arrive and buy WiiUs?

8) Lego City: Undercover, Bayonetta2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate... that's it? All known even before Wii U launch. Where are the new Wii U exclusives from third parties? And do you really think "Nintendo hadn't to do anything" to get these games exclusive? They are the publisher of Bayonetta 2 and Lego City Undercover and financed them 100%... that's "nothing"?

Ok from what I can see everything you've listed is pretty much argumentative and fanboy bull.  Argumentative means that neither one of us can prove anything for those statements so just drop it.  This is the reason why post chains go on forever, people don't realize that there's no winning an argument that's unprovable.  

1)Argumentative BS

2)Fanboy argumentative BS

5) Argumentative PS4 and XBox One don't share the same code, and you can hardly say they worked together to build the thing.  Maybe development costs for cross platform has been reduced a little, but I doubt it's all that much.  This is probably marketing speel more than anything.  

6) It's still a point in Wii U's favor.  I never said it was game changing by itself, I said that it was a point in Nintendo's box that the Xbox doesn't have.  

7) This one you're just wrong in.  If the Wii U didn't have a unique audience, then why do things like Just Dance and all those casual games sell better on Wii U than on other systems.  Ubisoft and Sega made a killing off of them last gen.  That's why they showed so much support for Nintendo this gen.  They made crazy money off of those cheap ass games.  

8) I never said Nintendo had a lot of third party games, I said that third parties have to make their games unique on the Nintendo platform.  Enough that some people might consider buying a second copy to try out the Wii U version of it.  This also plays into number 7 for that fact.  

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer