By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft CEO: “Nintendo has to perform this year, otherwise they will have less games”

padib said:
Train wreck said:

Why is the onus on Ubisoft? So im guessing you were not around for any of the Wii days?  Ubisoft obtain massive success with the Wii (intresting enough, so did Nintendo) by catering software in tune with that of Nintendo, family friendly and pick up and play for any age (i feel like I keep repeating this theme), it was Nintendo that changed philosophy on third parties with the Wii U not other way around.  Many third parties were happy providing games for the Wii that was geared for that particular userbase and had no desire to have another me too system they already have success with the PS4 and Xbox one.

So what's stopping them?

Its not Ubisoft's job to find out what the current Wii U userbase/demographic is.  They already spent enough in time and game titles trying to peer that information out, failing each and every time.  They have tried tapping into what made the Wii successful by launching with a series of family friendly games.  They tried to cater to the new push nintendo was trying, getting onboard the PS3/Xbox user by bringing their most successful franchises to the Wii U. fail fail fail.  It seems like nintendo is having a quite difficult time as well, the system  just crossed month 19 and there is no real traction.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
prayformojo said:
amak11 said:
prayformojo said:
spemanig said:
They're basically demanding a price drop.

As they should. A $199.99 Wii-U at this point would be like sprinkling magic pixie dust on the thing. 

That would also sell the console at a loss again. Wait until the console is selling at a greater profit for this wish. $249.99 is more reasonable of a drop, but 100 off is rediculous, hell just buy a refurb from Nintendo with the same warrenty for 200 if you are that cheap

Every Nintendo console with the exception of Wii was $199.99 or less. It's not really that crazy. Yamauchi believed that a software was useless unless you have consoles to play it on. This is why Nintendo use to price their consoles so low. Iwata comes in, screws the pooch on the 3DS and Wii-U price points, and bam...insta slump.

Nintendo needs to keep prices in the sub $200.00 imo.

Yet people wouldn't buy the GameCube even at $99. And taking inflation into account, the Wii U is about the same price as the Super NES at launch. 

Though really if they want to get to $199, they probably could, but they have to be willing to dump that tablet controller and I don't think they're willing to do so. The other problem is they've probably mass produced a ton of Wii Us + tablet pads already, so if they removed the pads, they'd have to be able to sell those some how seperately or eat the full manufacturing loss on it. 

Which is probably one reason they're unwilling to do so. 

Any time someone has to preface their argument with "taking inflation into account", they automatically lose. People don't CARE about inflation. This is about sticker shock and perception.

$199.99 looks better than $299.99 and that was just as true in 1985 as it is in 2014.

gooch_destroyer said:
isn't it Nintendo's job to bring in the install base?

That's what I thought. Apparently others feel it isn't Nintendos job to increase Nintendos console install base.

Thanks jlmurph!

padib said:
oniyide said:

ok, i dont know what that has to do with what was intially being discussed, but you got to take your victories where you can get them i guess.

He is the one trying to show I'm hiding stuff or that I don't know my stuff or don't do my research. Sure I'll take my victory against that.

About your opinion, it doesn't matter what people know about Ubisoft Montreal if the fact remains that their games are the real Ubi blockbusters, whether you or others are aware they were made by them.

They are the blockbusters.

lol. i never said they wasnt. Just saying that Montreal has no bearing on what sells what, because most people dont even know what they make. Nexy AC isnt being made by them, still think it wont be a blockbuster

Zod95 said:
oniyide said:
padib said:
oniyide said:

haahahaha. the despertation is almost funny. See i didnt even know any of this and i consider myself a fan. So i know most end users have no idea, or dont care. At this point the game will sell on the name alone. Much like all big franchises, hell even the Vita one managed a million and that was handled by a team who never even made an action game i believe. let alone an AC one

He was wrong -_-

Whether the end users care or not, the numbers stand.

he was wrong about what? the end users not caring? no he's right about that. Most people dont even know who made what. Numbers dont make this untrue, they dont prove anything.

I guess what he's trying to say is that Ubisoft Montreal is better at making games. Therefore, even if people don't know it's them behind the game, the quality they put into it will drive the sales.

Regarding his claim that Ubisoft Montreal should do an exclusive for WiiU, I totally disagree. I don't remember them making an exclusive for any PlayStation (which have gave them many more sales). They would be crazy to do one for WiiU.

nobody was really disputing that. Quality drives games but if thats the case why are there games flopping on WIi U?

No they shouldnt make an exclusive for WIi U, there time is better spent making games for systems that people will actually buy. LOL if thats what he really thinks. Ninty isnt owed an exclusive. 

Around the Network
GianCarmen said:
Here is a thought. Stop being assholes and release the game. These companies are unreal. No wonder people dont buy third party games. Look how they treat nintendo fans.

come on, you werent going to buy that shovelware game they are holding anyway. People barely buy the actual good ones

Jay70sgamer said:
oniyide said:
Jay70sgamer said:
oniyide said:
Jay70sgamer said:
oniyide said:
Jay70sgamer said:
Arcturus said:
Jay70sgamer said:
Arcturus said:
fedfed said:

its a popular franchise. exactly. why would it be any different for Nintendo? YOu didnt even answer my question. Why does the PS version which gets NO advertisment, which you swear is so important still sell very well. It was already leaked that it would be released on Wii U. Where have you been? all i had to do was look. See here where it doesnt make sense, you say the avearge consumer needs advertisment but the Sony versions get none but still do pretty well. How do you explain that? Come on, be real. ONE COD game has not been released on a Nintendo platform that was in 08. So there have been COD games been releasing on Nintendo systems for the past SIX years. Come. On. Way more CODs have released on Ninty systems that havent. THats a tired excuse.

I explained why because it's a popular franchise and popular franchise and any popular franchise can sell well if announced as being released on playstation and xbox .....if advertising didn't matter why has it sold the most on xbox because it is advertised more and the reason why it sold well on playstation because it's a popular game and people bought it on playstation also ....because they knew it was announced as coming to the playstation. 3 also.....and just because it was leaked does not mean it will be coming to wii u until activation confirms ...so just because you read an Internet leak the same leak I read doesn't mean it will be released on wii u .......Example the wii u hasn't done as well as it could mainly because of no advertisement and no games ..they advertised mario kart. 8 more than any game so far on the wii u and what happens the game has sold well andis moving hardware ...advertising plays a huge role in the success of games whether you realize it or not 

Announced when? E3? you think the average consumer even watches that? ads do matter to an extent. So does word of mouth, so WoM must have told people hey, that game is also on PS3 and its the same, its also on Wii but not as good. Trust me ive met a few people that initially didnt even know it was released on PS and not to mention the series started out on xbox at the beginning of the last gen. It already established itself on xbox b4 PS3 and WIi even hit the shelves. That has just as much to do with it doing well. You know what else plays a huge role? demograph. AC was announced as coming to all platforms for the last two, advertisment included ALL versions. Guess which version flopped?

Train wreck said:
padib said:
Train wreck said:

Why is the onus on Ubisoft? So im guessing you were not around for any of the Wii days?  Ubisoft obtain massive success with the Wii (intresting enough, so did Nintendo) by catering software in tune with that of Nintendo, family friendly and pick up and play for any age (i feel like I keep repeating this theme), it was Nintendo that changed philosophy on third parties with the Wii U not other way around.  Many third parties were happy providing games for the Wii that was geared for that particular userbase and had no desire to have another me too system they already have success with the PS4 and Xbox one.

So what's stopping them?

Its not Ubisoft's job to find out what the current Wii U userbase/demographic is.  They already spent enough in time and game titles trying to peer that information out, failing each and every time.  They have tried tapping into what made the Wii successful by launching with a series of family friendly games.  They tried to cater to the new push nintendo was trying, getting onboard the PS3/Xbox user by bringing their most successful franchises to the Wii U. fail fail fail.  It seems like nintendo is having a quite difficult time as well, the system  just crossed month 19 and there is no real traction.

i love how some people are acting like Ubi never tried. They tried the hardest, and have met with failure. Hell Ninty themselves arent doing that great, crap the system itself has been flopping its only natural it will take software with it.

The couple of big problem is Dev not wanting to dev games on a system that is harder to dev on when they can dev easer on PS3/4 and XB360/1. Its not thats its a underpowered console (though it is not as powerful as ps4 or xbox1). Another big problem is the Value. Nintendo is extremely stubborn in this aspect and if they don't stop it they will fall extremely quick. Lets compare.
PS4: 8 core processor 8gb DDR5 ram usb 3.0 500gb HD $399 9 months old.
Xbox 1: 8 core processor 8gb DDR3 Ram usb 3.0 500gb HD $399 9 months old.
Wii U: 4 core Processor 2gb DDR3 Ram 2.0 usb 32gb HD $299 21 months old
Wii U Added HD: 4 core Processor 2gb DDR3 Ram 3.0 usb 532gb HD $375 21 months old
Added 500gb hd to Wii U $65 and adapter $10 to make it 3.0 (most external are 3.0) Wii U is only 5% cheaper
I know its not all about the amount of cores its about the performance but no bodies core is "under performing"
Its like buying a 2015 Honda for 20k with sunroof and automatic windows 35mpg vs
2014 Honda for 19k with no sunroof and manual windows 28 mpg
now if its was 2014 Honda for 15k with no sunroof manual windows 28 mpg people might buy this one over the newer one.
Nintendo needs to sell the 32gb for $225 and come out with a 500gb 3.0 usb for $299 then most consumers can justify buying it. I know why nintendo didn't make the system as "powerful as ps4/xb1" was due to they where hoping the massive people that bought the Wii would be excited and buy this because of way better system and still backwards capability so the consumer would not have to "start over" with game collection and thats fine just make the price to pair of what it should be. It may be to little to late only time will tell but the need to announce end of October (after Hyrule Warriors had time to build sales) (and they wont) that starting in November Wii U 32gb bundle with a Family game like Super Mario 3D World or Even Better Captain Toads Treasure Tracker ( Because this game wont be a HUGE seller but an ok one that people want but would not buy it standalone) a Pro Controller and charge $250. Then also announce a 500gb 3.0 usb bundle with Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 for $299. Smash Bros Bundle have 2 game cube controllers with adapter. Mario Kart 8 include a Pro controller plus a $25 Eshop Card.
Even last year it was Wii U and 2 games and retailers gift card for $25 for $299. That wouldn't be unreasonable. Nintendo Just Thinks its just as powerful as ps4 or xb1. They not seeing that its not and that the consumer has to buy a external hdd to make it remotely comparable.

BreedinBull said:
gooch_destroyer said:
isn't it Nintendo's job to bring in the install base?

That's what I thought. Apparently others feel it isn't Nintendos job to increase Nintendos console install base.

I guess it's easier to blame the publisher and not the Console manufactuar.