By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Not a “Massive Change” For Xbox One

oh oooohhhhh no Uncharted 4 for XB1 after all :-S

misterXmedia won't like this one bit!

more seriously, what happened to the secret sauce?

I think they accepted their 2nd or 3rd place in the market for this gen, they fixed their policies and make the OS more feature rich (now they need to make it controller friendly too)... Maybe next time they will some with enough horse power to play the same game as Sony (or Sony will try one of their complex in house architecture again?)

Anyway, yay for the 4K consoles!

Around the Network

DX12 is more for the PC scene but it will help ports between Xbone and PC be that much better.

Aura7541 said:
Glad that he's being completely honest about DX12. Hardware is hardware and APIs can't magically make hardware more powerful.

They can of they are closer to the metal of the GPU. Less power lost in translation. But if there was such a massive loss in power those standards wouldn't have caught on in the first place. Realistically it can only be a small margin that is to be gained. Bu still, any gain is better than none :) Don't forget that XB1 and PS4 both run an ATi card which has Mantle compatiblity. That means a very low level API to get the most out of the card. DX12 be damned :)

KylieDog said:
Nadwki said:

...so more Halo, Forza, Gears and Fable.

Halo, and gears yes. Forza yes unless turn 10 wants to do a different racer. Fable I'm hoping is done after this last one. Especially since they want to support it for "10 years". Lionhead has a lot of potential hopefully they will move on to something else. I'm also hoping 343 starts a new franchise in addition to halo. I mean they have 350 employees. Possibly they could do black tusks new ip cause there hands are gunna full with gears(they have around 100 people).

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

He did some right decisions and I usually agree to what he says. Reasonable guy.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
Glad that he's being completely honest about DX12. Hardware is hardware and APIs can't magically make hardware more powerful.

not more powerful but more efficient to produce better results.  

I knew that it was all bullshit from the beginning.

Garland said:
I knew that it was all bullshit from the beginning.

???  That is not what he said.  Stop being ignorant 

Sharpryno said:
Aura7541 said:

not more powerful but more efficient to produce better results.  

The thing is that the version of DX the XB1 had already had a much lower overhead than true PC DX11.1 or whatever vesion they use, it only used mostly the same calls, so you could easily re-use code across platforms and not need to train your devs too much when they approached the new machine... that has been a benefit of the xbox consoles since the early days.

- API you already know

- Tailored for a fixed hardware platform

Now, this is not to say they won't implement some nice low level tweaks over time to go from the reference implementaitons and more into a solution 100% optimized for the uncerlying hardware + devs will get better with designing around the hardware limitations... however all this is also true for Sony's platform, which has more powerful hardware underneath it.

alabtrosMyster said:

oh oooohhhhh no Uncharted 4 for XB1 after all :-S

misterXmedia won't like this one bit!

more seriously, what happened to the secret sauce?

I think they accepted their 2nd or 3rd place in the market for this gen, they fixed their policies and make the OS more feature rich (now they need to make it controller friendly too)... Maybe next time they will some with enough horse power to play the same game as Sony (or Sony will try one of their complex in house architecture again?)

Anyway, yay for the 4K consoles!

what happened was we now have a guy who has the good sense to not make up a bunch of crap