By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ready At Dawn: The Order ‘A Huge Commercial Risk

Ucell said:
Madword said:
I know he uses the Last of Us as an example, but the whole setting/style and story of the Last of Us made it less of a risk imho, just because it was set in a reality/real world. I see the Order being more risky as its a fantasy story.. I think as long as its a good game it should be ok, but if its middling then it could struggle.

These are Ready At Dawn's previous games:

1. Daxter (PSP): Metascore 85, Sales over 3.6m

2. God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (PSP): Metascore 91 (highest of all time on PSP), Sales 3.2m (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

3. Okami (Wii port): Metascore 90

4. God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta (PSP): Metascore 86, Sales 1.2m (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

5. God Of War: Origins Collection (PS3): Metascore 84, Sales 700k (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies)

Ready At Dawn was formed in 2003 by former Naughty Dog employees.

Not sure what you are suggesting? Previous success does not gaurantee future success. You are only as good as your last success... thats how games, movies, music and everything else works :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

3rd person shooter steampunk game sounds interesting but not a 3rd person shooter steampunk game movie.

A third person shooter is not exactly what I would call  'A Huge Commercial Risk'.  

I think a game like Quantum Break is taking a much bigger risk as it will be the first game to incorperate an actual TV show with the game, and according to remedy, different choices you make in the game actually affect how the TV show episodes play out.To me, that is much more risky than something like The Order 1886 as it has never been done before.  

The Order looks like a mix between Bioshock (with the wierd alterd history stuff), and Gears of War (with the 3rd person mechanics).  Hope it turns out great, but all in all, I think that dudes shooting other dudes with lightning guns is a fairly safe route.

When I saw this headline I was getting ready to laugh it off. Sony exclusive. Shooter. Ridiculous visuals. Cool setting. Seems like it's got a lot going for it.

Then I remembered it has no multiplayer. Like not even coop. That's pretty weak for a shooter these days imo, and I can't think of any shooter besides Bioshock that gets away with it. So ya, I suppose it's definitely a risk on some levels. Still, it looks interesting and I think it will do pretty well

Hope they started development with the idea of creating and testing new gameplay concepts then. Fun factor is key, not production values.

"These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has seen"

Around the Network
Nem said:

Theres nothing risky about a shooter... aslong as you make a good game.

I think the Order looks different enough from the others to gain a space. It definitly looks like Sony's Gears of War... and to me it looks alot more interesting, if not only for not including all the american war clichés that Gears uses and i cant stand.

Not my kind of game though.

There is always the risk of a game being bad in the end.  Although Shooters are safer bets really.

Uncharted Drake's Fortune did just fine without multiplayer. Early on in a generation is the best time for a game like this. Nothing to really overshadow it just yet. So long as it isn't right next to say Destiny or WatchDogs it will get more than enough coverage and hype to sell 1 or 2 million.

Nem said:

Theres nothing risky about a shooter... aslong as you make a good game.

I think the Order looks different enough from the others to gain a space. It definitly looks like Sony's Gears of War... and to me it looks alot more interesting, if not only for not including all the american war clichés that Gears uses and i cant stand.

Not my kind of game though.

The only risk with a shooter these days is not getting lost in a sea of better shooters like The Conduit and Medal of Horor both did. As long as it's not releasing anywhere near the holiday season it should sell decently. Hopefuilly this game doesn't have a ridiculously high budget like other next gen games had.

The only risk I see is that its a game with multiple heroes in the story yet no co-op at all. That's not smart

lol did anyone even read the OP? Its not about the genre or game modes, its about the setting of the game.

"What if people aren’t interested in neo-Victorian London? What if moustachioed knights carrying lightning guns doesn’t sell?"