By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 4 price increased $50 in "The Source" in Canada – Rumor

superchunk said:
sales2099 said:

The Canadian $ is 0.90 of the US dollar, but this is just taking too much advantage of their fortunate situation. $420 would have sufficed if they were really pinching every penny.

You can't just look at the exchange rate. US is  far larger market than Canada, so the cost to bring PS4 per unit here is cheaper than Canada.

Though, this really is more likely just a store or market trying to capitalize on the high demand.

It's actually cheaper to ship products here through the Port of Vancouver, Delta SuperPort, to the eastern U.S. via rail with the lower CDN dollar, as apposed to shipping through Seattle, L.A. Most Canadian goods are bought with U.S. dollars. The exchange rate plays a large roll in our products.The current rate is expected to be around this level for some time hence the price change. The negative part is when the CDN dollar was above the U.S dollar. The prices for our goods were slow, sometimes nonexistent, in reflection to the exchange rate. Many companies were taking advantage it.

Around the Network

Speaking as a Canadian. Before this price change, Canadians were probably paying less than anyone else in the world for the PS4 at about $360 USD. Our dollar usually fluctuates at about 0.95 to 1.00 USD per 1 CAD and sometimes goes above parity. For the last few months, our dollar has been steady at about 0.90USD:1.00CAD. The price increase brings the price of the PS4 to about $405 USD in Canada, which is fair considering E.U. and U.K. and other areas of the world are probably paying much more. I also noticed that new games are selling at $5 more than they used to. All in all, sure It would be nice if they didn't change the price, but it comes down to the dollar. If our dollar is different for too long a period of time, then prices get changed its happened before, It's happening now, It'll happen again.

Actually the price is going up everywhere in Canada! That sucks.
It seems like Sony have been thinking of increasing the price for a while and that's why they were sending so little stock here.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Hmmm i was just at future shop and they hadnt heard anything about a price change.. but if sony announces it well then.. glad most o my friends got theirs already lol

They also said they sell roughly the same of each console, but they have a stack of xbox's and they sell out ps4's as soon as they get them. shipments every week but they dont last a day

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Interesting. Does that mean they are now able to make a profit on the consoles sold in those regions? Or at least break even with a zero?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
Interesting. Does that mean they are now able to make a profit on the consoles sold in those regions? Or at least break even with a zero?

If they arent making a profit in the states at 399,  this change probably wont bring them profit, but make it closer.  Its about 405 equivalent now.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Zappykins said:

Sony were selling the PS4 here for the equivalent of $359.5 US dollars. So they might have not been making much money on the console. I believe that price was the cheapest price for the PS4 worldwide. 

At least I got my PS4 already I'll just go to the States and get my games then.

TheGoldenBoy said:

Why would go there to get games? Games are cheaper here even after tax. 

MoHasanie said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Why would go there to get games? Games are cheaper here even after tax.

Agreed. Even in Michigan with a low sales tax a game like Infamous would still come out to $70 after tax. After you factor in gas to cross the boarder and back your only saving $3-$4 dollars. All I can say is thank god I bought my PS4 at $399!!!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"