By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft’s Xbox Division May be Purchased by Amazon

kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:
kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:

Amazon might handle xbox brand more efficiently instead of microsoft.

In that case I'm confused.

There are lots of "maybe". But given the popularity of xbox 360 before PS4 reveal I assumed that xbox one will rule in NA. But their reveal and DRM policy turned everyone off. Amazon "may" handle xbox brand more efficiently as they are involved with this business. But we never know.

I think you missed the reason for my confusion.

Let me take a guess. You're confused because he's a PS fan and should instead be worried about the PS4 being crushed by the X1 in that scenario? Is that about right?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
withdreday said:
This seriously has to be an early April fools day joke, right? What in hell would Amazon do with them?

The funny thing would be if it was purchased by Nintendo or Sony though...

funny?  that wouild be magic

they couldnt afford to buy a 10th of the value of the Xbox brand.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Apparently they just want to dump the 2-3 billion worth of stock off and make a profit off of it. So in that case, either Sony or Ninty could jump in with 4-5 billion as Xbox's theirs.

What ever happens, I can't wait to hear more about this.

kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:
kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:
kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:
I would like to see that.

why?

Amazon might handle xbox brand more efficiently instead of microsoft.

In that case I'm confused.

There are lots of "maybe". But given the popularity of xbox 360 before PS4 reveal I assumed that xbox one will rule in NA. But their reveal and DRM policy turned everyone off. Amazon "may" handle xbox brand more efficiently as they are involved with this business. But we never know.

?

I wouldn't mind, if it did happen would that mean Amazon would get all of MS devs also? If not then that would be horrible.

At first I was thinking "this is crap" and I could not see how this would be profitable to Microsoft? It just can't. Xbox live is just too profitable and they've just bought Gears.

But it is true that Amazon is looking to enter the gaming market and have the cloud power to handle Xbox One actual and futur game cloud feature.

So, maybe, Microsoft isn't looking to sell Xbox division but rather get a new partner. If they sell a little less than a half of the Xbox brand to Amazon, Amazon will support the Xbox One and future Xbox product like if it were their products while Microsoft keep the decisive power over their brand. That would mean, two big company will have their own 1st and 2nd studio to support only one product. If this is the case, then it would be profitable to both MS and Amazon. MS products will be pushed and supported much more than they are right now and Amazon will enter the gaming industry at a much lower cost and will not have to create a new challenger in the gaming industry.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
DerNebel said:
kowenicki said:

Let me take a guess. You're confused because he's a PS fan and should instead be worried about the PS4 being crushed by the X1 in that scenario? Is that about right?

afraid not.

stop overlaying your thought processes on me.

It's not my thought process but it seemed like it was yours since you already said how this would be awful news for Sony and Nintendo.

But fine, so that's not why you're confused, why don't you stop this secrecy and just say what the reason for your confusion is?

When rumors first started of selling the Xbox brand, I thought they were ridiculous. For all these years MS has built the Xbox reputation and integrated it into their ecosystem to the point that removing it would be quite difficult.

However, if Amazon did buy the division, I'm totally for it. I think they do a great job of integrating their offerings into hardware, and I see good coming from it.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

EpicRandy said:

At first I was thinking "this is crap" and I could not see how this would be profitable to Microsoft? It just can't. Xbox live is just too profitable and they've just bought Gears.

But it is true that Amazon is looking to enter the gaming market and have the cloud power to handle Xbox One actual and futur game cloud feature.

So, maybe, Microsoft isn't looking to sell Xbox division but rather get a new partner. If they sell a little less than a half of the Xbox brand to Amazon, Amazon will support the Xbox One and future Xbox product like if it were their products while Microsoft keep the decisive power over their brand. That would mean, two big company will have their own 1st and 2nd studio to support only one product. If this is the case, then it would be profitable to both MS and Amazon. MS products will be pushed and supported much more than they are right now and Amazon will enter the gaming industry at a much lower cost and will not have to create a new challenger in the gaming industry.

I would honestly love for MS to partner up with Amazon for the Xbox Division.

Can't see it happening! Amazon simply don't have the cash lying around to buy the Xbox division. Also MS are in no desperate need to sell

Maybe Amazon aren't interested in the Xbox one but instead looking to buy xbox 360 assets and intellectual rights at a knock down price. Microsoft may be looking to abandon the 360 soon to concentrate on xbox one.

Amazon could then release a set top gaming box based around the 360 around £100/$130. They could enhance it with a high speed mode, more memory (2GB) and a higher quality upscaler so it can run both existing and a new generation of games that perform between 360/PS3/wii u and PC/Xbone/PS4. Removing the optical drive could save money and it could run android apps etc under arm emulation on the PPC chipset or a smaller supporting arm processor. That way the box could feature enhanced 360, original 360, original xbox, kindle, android and lots of media compatibility. Games could be demoed, rented or owned (like steam).

Microsoft will be abandoning the 360 soon and such a box wouldn't be direct competition to xbox one as it would be lower performance. Also Amazon could do a firmware update for existing 360 owners that added much of the functionality of Amazon's new box to existing 360 models if users accepted it. They would still have use of their 360 game discs. Microsoft live would be replaced on 360 with some new Amazon service possibly free but that would push movies, music etc more. This would also help motivate 360 owners to migrate to xbox one.

Whatever I think Microsoft have a huge battle on their hands with ps4 and the future looks like Microsoft will struggle to compete with ps4 unless they undercut it on price. I wouldn't ever consider buying a Xbox one at anywhere near ps4 money and currently its more expensive so as you can imagine a xbox one isn't on my shopping list for the foreseeable future.