By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: “We Haven’t Been Targeting Children Enough” Update: Beware semantics

Lafiel said:
ninetailschris said:

When you say pikmin 3 and wonderful 101 I think you don't understand the difference between a casual/kid game and kiddy looking game. Wonderful 101 is not a casual game. Complex nature of the game is not suited towards casuals or kids.

The artistic desing is a games main marketing tool. The visual style these games have is mainly appealing to kids and families, so that's their target market, although I'm aware there are quite a few real adults (that aren't ashamed of enjoying "childish" things) buying these.

By the way, I think you are underestimating "casuals and kids". These groups certainly react well to games that are just "fun" and have no learning curve to speak of, but from my experience most people actually feel more rewarded when playing complex games.

Artistic design is one type of pull but the gameplay is the bigger one always. People bought wii sports not because of graphics but gameplay. Minecraft is a huge seller not because of kiddy visuals but the casual gameplay. That was what you misunderstood in my point. Graphics are irrelevant because the gameplay is what determines if it is casual friendly. Casuals tend to not care about graphics and I realize that based on the sales trend.

The majority casual gamers want something simple and fun. There is reason why there is a list of simple casual third party games that outsold the complex casual looking games on the wii. They can have challenge in them like all games usually,but not on the sense of a hardcore game. In minecraft you build or explore. Nothing complex in it. If you get lost it doesn't matter because there are no objectives it's a game based on your own time and pace. Casual games don't mean bad games which only casuals would like. The only people who think that are people on Internet forums.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network

Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Wii Party U, Mario 3D World, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Scribblenauts, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, LEGO City, Rayman, Sonic, are plenty easy for any kid to play.

The reason iOS/Android is eating Nintendo's lunch is because the games are 99 cents and its making parents reconsider buying a Nintendo console/handheld at all. 

Yay that means more COD, more FIFA, Battlefield and GTA. Those are what the kids play nowadays arent they??

Even W101 really is a kids game. Sure maybe the controls are more wonky, but the art style is specifically designed for elementary school children, the game designers even say so.

X, Bayonetta 2, and maybe SMT x Fire Emblem are the only three games Nintendo has in development that are expressly aimed at adults, that averages out to 1 whopping "game for adults" each year, and lets be honest X and Bayo 2 are likely to get little to no marketing support from Nintendo.

Soundwave said:

Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Wii Party U, Mario 3D World, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Scribblenauts, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, LEGO City, Rayman, Sonic, are plenty easy for any kid to play.

The reason iOS/Android is eating Nintendo's lunch is because the games are 99 cents and its making parents reconsider buying a Nintendo console/handheld at all. 

Nintendo makes games for kids. As an owner of a 3DS I can say this positively 100%. Which isn't to say there aren't things in there a mature audience can't enjoy, but that the target audience of its current games are under - I'll say 14 years old.

But I don't agree with the second paragraph. The Wii U is doing horribly because of mistakes on the part of Nintendo - not because it's losing marketshare to mobile. As a matter of fact, if you look at the trend of sales of Nintendo home consoles excluding the Wii - the Wii U's sales are to be expected. It is in line with the decline of sales that Nintendo home consoles have had since the NES.

Around the Network

Well, turns out people suck at translating.

So to that end...I retract my earlier thought that Nintendo was completely nuts. I am now back to only being 75% convinced that Nintendo is clueless.

Suke said:
Don't target kids hard enough, Nintendo 90% of your audience are kids. Trust me, their not the problem.

3ds... maybe. But definitely not on the wii u.

I'm glad they're toning down casual content.

Lol. From a Japanese message board. It supposedly says "Our approach to kidssssss!" and displays a naked Iwata. On his forhead is the word "pregnancy".

UPDATE: http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/29/iwatas-quote-targeting-kids-mistranslated-actually-meant-opposite/

It was mistranslated. You all can breathe again.

EDIT: False Alarm... :D

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

Don't worry, little nintendites, the new President of Nintendo will fix this blunder!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!