By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ioi speaks out about ergh "VGC analysts"

Lawlight said:
Aielyn said:
Lawlight said:

I have no doubt that NPD has way more resources and is more accurate than vgchartz. Which one would you trust more?

Let's suppose that VGChartz had 2000 retailers in the US, and NPD had 5 times as many, at 10000, just for the sake of argument. Then rather than a 95% confidence margin of error of 2.2%, it's now just under 1%. In other words, while "more accurate", it's not exceptionally accurate.

And you have "no doubt" that NPD has "way more resources"... but you have no evidence, and no reasoning to justify the claim... at least, none that you have provided to us.

So here's your challenge - provide solid evidence that NPD has more resources than VGChartz with regards to video game sales data collection.

If first parties didn't think that NPD was the most accurate source of data for NA, they wouldn't be quoting the numbers everytime NPD releases their report. I wish someone had a collection of the comparisons of NPD vs VGChartz numbers. VGC's purpose is to fill the gap for system wars for when official numbers are not available. I still recall the sensationalist "DS becomes best selling system of all time".

NPD releases monthly numbers 10 days or more after month's end: this alone gives them more time to refine data, a little more for last week, a lot more for the previous ones. Add to this that doing a monthly total naturally filters out variance better than weekly numbers. BTW, giving monthly numbers NPD is able to adjust at least 3 weekly numbers a month before even releasing them added together in the monthly total. If you compare monthly VGC numbers at the same time NPD releases them, so with VGC having the same time as NPD to adjust the data of the first three weeks of the month, they should be percentually closer, on average.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

I keep hearing "blah blah blah, don't matter numbers, method or validity, I believe different then I'm right". In other news, "my sacred escriture says my god is the only one, so he is''.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."