Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has already outsold the WiiU in USA in 2013 sales.

Frequency said:
Licence said:

Well there you go. So it's about 3-1. Looks far less impressive than ".. so in a matter of 24 hours PS4 almost doubled what the WiiU sold all year in usa"

It really doesn't make much of a difference, chances are in a couple months time people will be saying "outsold the wiiu worldwide lifetime in less than 3 months", the scale isn't so important, in that sense.

Perhaps. But I would be careful to draw future trajectories based on launch numbers - the Wii U and the Vita both showed us that a good launch does not equate to sustainable sales.



Around the Network

its not as hard to predict because of the staggered launches, the hardware numbers will maintain a fairly high peak up to, and beyond japanese launch because demand has outstripped supply, with many people preordering not getting their units till late december/early jan, at the same time theres a barrage of decent games from jan to august, without adding any other unannounced stuff to it.

WiiU relies on first party, that support isnt there. Xbox One and PS4 live off of both first and third party, so its much harder to experience a cold stretch.

That isnt to say it will sell astronomically forever, but the launches alone are enough to create an install base for these platforms that outstrips the WiiU's, in a much shorter time, and the costumers of these platforms have, and will continue to purchase games even if they are third party, which nintendo owners have, with little diversion from the rule, shown they will not do.

If nintendo had the manpower to deliver blow after blow, hit after hit, or had third party support and third parties had the support of paying customers, we wouldnt be having this discussion.



Frequency said:
its not as hard to predict because of the staggered launches, the hardware numbers will maintain a fairly high peak up to, and beyond japanese launch because demand has outstripped supply, with many people preordering not getting their units till late december/early jan, at the same time theres a barrage of decent games from jan to august, without adding any other unannounced stuff to it.

WiiU relies on first party, that support isnt there. Xbox One and PS4 live off of both first and third party, so its much harder to experience a cold stretch.

That isnt to say it will sell astronomically forever, but the launches alone are enough to create an install base for these platforms that outstrips the WiiU's, in a much shorter time, and the costumers of these platforms have, and will continue to purchase games even if they are third party, which nintendo owners have, with little diversion from the rule, shown they will not do.

If nintendo had the manpower to deliver blow after blow, hit after hit, or had third party support and third parties had the support of paying customers, we wouldnt be having this discussion.


That and the target demographic of the PS4/X1 is far more predictable. We know there's a market of about 150-170 million worldwide units of a "hardcore" game console. We know those hardcore gamers aren't going to play PS3/360 forever and will have to upgrade at some point. 

Nintendo's model was more unpredictable, relying on gameplay concepts that people hadn't experienced before like Wii Sports. The problem is this formula is much harder to repeat. 

Casual gamers don't need a game console. Their entertainment life isn't dependant on it. They probably would prefer to play Candy Crush over say Legend of Zelda (it's too hard!), lol. 

That's one of the problems for Nintendo. Casual gamers are flakey. Nintendo Land did not resonate with that audience and the entire Wii U launch strategy pretty much collapsed around that failure. Even if they had managed to release Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 3-4 months earlier, I don't think the console's fortunes would be *that* different. 



Soundwave said:
Frequency said:
its not as hard to predict because of the staggered launches, the hardware numbers will maintain a fairly high peak up to, and beyond japanese launch because demand has outstripped supply, with many people preordering not getting their units till late december/early jan, at the same time theres a barrage of decent games from jan to august, without adding any other unannounced stuff to it.

WiiU relies on first party, that support isnt there. Xbox One and PS4 live off of both first and third party, so its much harder to experience a cold stretch.

That isnt to say it will sell astronomically forever, but the launches alone are enough to create an install base for these platforms that outstrips the WiiU's, in a much shorter time, and the costumers of these platforms have, and will continue to purchase games even if they are third party, which nintendo owners have, with little diversion from the rule, shown they will not do.

If nintendo had the manpower to deliver blow after blow, hit after hit, or had third party support and third parties had the support of paying customers, we wouldnt be having this discussion.


That and the target demographic of the PS4/X1 is far more predictable. We know there's a market of about 150-170 million worldwide units of a "hardcore" game console. We know those hardcore gamers aren't going to play PS3/360 forever and will have to upgrade at some point. 

Nintendo's model was more unpredictable, relying on gameplay concepts that people hadn't experienced before like Wii Sports. The problem is this formula is much harder to repeat. 

Casual gamers don't need a game console. Their entertainment life isn't dependant on it. They can have just as much fun playing Candy Crush as Wii Sports Club. 

That's one of the problems for Nintendo. 

Sony/MS' audience has come through for them, whereas the casual audience has burned Nintendo. 


It is true that Nintendo's market has deserted them so far, but we have no evidence yet that the same is not true of Sony and MS. The proof is in the pudding, as the Americans say. I'm waiting till after Christmas before making grand statements on what went wrong with what.



Licence said:
Soundwave said:
Frequency said:
its not as hard to predict because of the staggered launches, the hardware numbers will maintain a fairly high peak up to, and beyond japanese launch because demand has outstripped supply, with many people preordering not getting their units till late december/early jan, at the same time theres a barrage of decent games from jan to august, without adding any other unannounced stuff to it.

WiiU relies on first party, that support isnt there. Xbox One and PS4 live off of both first and third party, so its much harder to experience a cold stretch.

That isnt to say it will sell astronomically forever, but the launches alone are enough to create an install base for these platforms that outstrips the WiiU's, in a much shorter time, and the costumers of these platforms have, and will continue to purchase games even if they are third party, which nintendo owners have, with little diversion from the rule, shown they will not do.

If nintendo had the manpower to deliver blow after blow, hit after hit, or had third party support and third parties had the support of paying customers, we wouldnt be having this discussion.


That and the target demographic of the PS4/X1 is far more predictable. We know there's a market of about 150-170 million worldwide units of a "hardcore" game console. We know those hardcore gamers aren't going to play PS3/360 forever and will have to upgrade at some point. 

Nintendo's model was more unpredictable, relying on gameplay concepts that people hadn't experienced before like Wii Sports. The problem is this formula is much harder to repeat. 

Casual gamers don't need a game console. Their entertainment life isn't dependant on it. They can have just as much fun playing Candy Crush as Wii Sports Club. 

That's one of the problems for Nintendo. 

Sony/MS' audience has come through for them, whereas the casual audience has burned Nintendo. 


It is true that Nintendo's market has deserted them so far, but we have no evidence yet that the same is not true of Sony and MS. The proof is in the pudding, as the Americans say. I'm waiting till after Christmas before making grand statements on what went wrong with what.

It's not true of Sony/MS because teenage boys-early college aged guys will always love video games. At least for another 5-7 years anyway. 

It's a much more reliable market. 

In part actually Nintendo does Sony/MS a favor by bringing in so many young kids into gaming. But the kid who got a Wii at age 7 ... he may be 13 now. Take a wild guess what console alligns with his tastes nowadays? "Ohmygawdmom stop embarrassing me I'm playing Calladoooty with my buds" phase kicks in like clock work when kids get to junior high. That's where Nintendo loses a lot of kids. 



Around the Network

Hmm, Mario 3D World is going to have to shift a hell of a lot of consoles if WiiU is going to stay ahead in USA till the end of 2013. I thought it might edge it but now I'm not so sure, although nintendo does get strong christmas boosts traditionally



Now I understand better why the cry from nintendo's fanboys

Moderated,

-Mr Khan



WebMasterFlex said:
Now I understand better why the cry from nintendo's fanboys

What a thoughtful and intelligent post. You truly bring good discussion to this community.

Keep it up!



I bought a PS4, but I also own a Wii U.
I try to talk up the U to everyone I know that plays video games every chance that I get.
The weak sales are disappointing. I've done everything I could outside of buying extra consoles :P



epyon396 said:
UnitDTH said:
I contributed to both of the sales numbers listed in this topic, but I'm wondering how Sony will maintain momentum?
What games do they have coming in the near future? I haven't seen anything other than The Order: 1886, that is gonna be that interesting for the next 6 months or so and even that game won't be ready in 6 months. I don't count the multiplatform titles, because those aren't console sellers. I like the console and love the DS4 controller, but am having a hard time finding the PS4 "innovative" or even worthy of large sales numbers right now, I don't think the XB1 will do any better at the start(and I hope it flops harder than the Wii U did in it's first year, I had a 360 and I enjoyed it but MS has given a big middle finger to all gaming fans), but I would like to see more game announcements from Sony and Nintendo. I'm not really surprised by these numbers at all, the Wii U had no "new" games released for it in its first 8 months of life and that's sad, because the console is fun. I'm hoping that Sony will start pumping out some gems in the very near future, otherwise, I feel, I will have another console that I have to tread water with until some good games are released... I'm looking at you Wii U! Games is what I want, not the ability to watch Stupid sports events on my "gaming console". Gaming Console = Games first, then other media applications!


Infamous?

I was just watching some trailers for "Infamous" and it looks impressive, but that's march and it's November... that's five months!  It feels a whole lot like the Wii U games release schedule to me with my new PS4.  Maybe the lineup of indie titles will tide me until something substantial comes out in the future, plue there is always SMB3DW, Flower, FloW, DKC:TF(February), and the gobs of indie titles making their debut on the eShop and PSN shop in the next few months, but still it feels (for the PS4 anyway) devoid of large amounts of substance in gaming choices for the next 5 months or so... Oh well, I'll still have fun one way or another.  Enjoy!