By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

PSwii60 said:
It should have been Super Wii while keeping its motion controls as the key novelty. It would've been cheaper to make, too.
Blue Ocean does not exactly follow internet forums, and go online to research for gaming consoles anyway. I mean, I myself know some people who are still confused about the Wii U & its tablet controller.

Actually calling it a Super Wii would be funny and would end up bad and keeping the same controls would be repulsive to hardcore/core audience that Nintendo is going to try to take it back partially and that is the point, maybe casual market kinda dried up.

People that can't spot a difference between Wii and Wii U are either illiterate or dumb or simply have problems with their sight.

Wii is upwards and has nunchucks while Wii U is layed down with a gamepad(not tablet, learn!)... Jesus christ... It is particaly a home console with DS scheme in a way.

Around the Network

You are failing because you aren't trying. Why did I get the PS2 over gamecube? Because the PS2 had spectaculare games. Why is my PS3 my main source of gaming while the Wii collected dust? Because  Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, and red steel 2 were the few games that were worth playing on the console (plus sd looks pathetic compared to the PS3)

Now, the wii u comes out, and I buy it day 1. Because it has everything that the Wii did well (Wii controls, backwards compatible) along with what the wii lacked (3rd party games, HD graphics, mature games that weren't crap)

So why did I buy it specifically? Becuase the Wii U has taken the PS3's graphics, which I feel are "good enough", and improved them to perfection, adding 1gb of ram for 1080p-native 720p, a capable GPGPU for stable FPS and textures, and a variety of controls that make the same game feel different (Gamepad for touch features, pro controller for classic style, wii mote for awesome 1st person shooting)

It's a fantastic console that hasn't met its potential. A Metroid will meet that. A large, open world Zelda will meet that. A worthy successor to Galaxy will meet that. Heck, a Star Fox by Platinum and all the above will make the console a haven for modern day content with nostalgic characters. Don't abandon the console, emphesize its free online, advertize the console as new, create 1st party games that will make old school gamers come back to Nintendo. Taking the amazing franchizes you are known for and bringing them into the modern era alone will make the Wii U not only survive, but succeed. 

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

eyeofcore said:
PSwii60 said:
It should have been Super Wii while keeping its motion controls as the key novelty. It would've been cheaper to make, too.
Blue Ocean does not exactly follow internet forums, and go online to research for gaming consoles anyway. I mean, I myself know some people who are still confused about the Wii U & its tablet controller.

Actually calling it a Super Wii would be funny and would end up bad and keeping the same controls would be repulsive to hardcore/core audience that Nintendo is going to try to take it back partially and that is the point, maybe casual market kinda dried up.

People that can't spot a difference between Wii and Wii U are either illiterate or dumb or simply have problems with their sight.

Wii is upwards and has nunchucks while Wii U is layed down with a gamepad(not tablet, learn!)... Jesus christ... It is particaly a home console with DS scheme in a way.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the mass-market, believe me, I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt for way too many years.

The Wii Family Edition (the one with no Gamecube backwards compatibility) was also advertised horizontally/layed down, just sayin'.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

hopefully not we dont need more shit out there thats the same......      So far Nintendo always had some nice innovative stuff going on and most actually all of it made gaming better.

-Dpad  start and select
-Shoulder buttons   4 action buttons (standard today)
-analog and rumble (standard today)
-wireless controller (nintendo made it popular   also standard today)
-Motion controls (third parties ignored it so not standard but alternative today)
-touch screen for games (actually introduced with the DS but on a home console Wiiu was first and PS4 amd X1 already adopted it (touch pad controller/smartglass)

Nintendo is making a mistake because Nintendo is hunting for gamers that dont exist.  Mainstreamers are no gamers and by going for them Nintendo changed way to much and is offering DLC and NSMB bullshit etc. They are killing their own philosophy and that  (and the stupid WiiU name) is killing the WiiU.

Metroid Prime 3  streamlied.... (no real world)
Mario Galaxy 2   streamlined.... (no hub world anymore stupid  "lines" you move on)
Skyward Sword streamlined....   (no connected world just like MP3)

TBH mainstreamers are at fault    almost NO dev is left that is making games for gamers. (just Japan and indies)
Its always stupid idiots called shareholders dictating that mediocre games should be made because   VISUALS = mainstream and mainstream is where the $$$$ is at. 

And most third parties games are western games.... so mainstream.  Remember back in the day games always sold? With todays AAA mainstream titles the industry changed so much  its eather 3 month success or fail  because the games drop in price and the nexr one is already on its way.  Its way to much of the smae out there.

Man I cant wait for the industry to crash again.

The drought killed the WiiU not the game pad. Its sad seeing internet posters act like they know more than the Wiis creators.

Around the Network

With the price cut and the available game library, the only thing preventing WiiU to sell is the absolute lack of marketing and advertsiment. Nintendo should invest in marketing right now.

famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Ya its closer but its still pretty far also I wouldn't think of it as the hardware attracts third parties, Nintendo should be going to these third parties and getting them to develop games for them, Sony actually went a step beyond that and went to these third parties when developing the system.  This isn't like the days of the NES when developers had to go through rigarous requirements to get their games on Nintendo's console, they will just pass up Nintendo and go to the competition, Nintendo has to be the one to make the first step.

Nintendo did go to third parties. That's why the Wii U gamepad has clickable thumbsticks and they got a launch exclusive out of Ubisoft. Also accounts for EA's "unprecedented support" right up until EA demanded more than Nintendo was willing to give.

That's how it is with big publishers. They demand every concession and if you won't satisfy their terms, other platforms will. Is the best future for Nintendo the one where it's EA's puppet?

I wouldn't use Ubisoft as a good example, they are pretty good about supporting any new console that comes out, usually the support they get from the maker is not that big of a deal.  You also hear about developers that say Nintendo never contacted them at all, like Bethesda.  Also I'm not saying they need to get support from everyone, they could have passed on EA, but its obvious they need reach out to enough developers.

DélioPT said:
Unfortunately, it`s true.

The holidays will be good to Nintendo, but they need something to really push the console into the mass market: change the look of the console, the logo, boxarts, etc.
They could really do what Sony did in 2009.

In 2009 Sony really began to show what the most powerful last Gen console could do.  Nintendo doesn't have that luxury.

I'm glad Iwata has the balls to admit they fucked up. I really hope they can turn things around but honestly things don't look so good.

RolStoppable said:
Dr.GrasDinosaurierSpanner said:
The SNES had a shitload of competition.
Hence it sold less

The DS had a lot of competition, hence why it sold less.

DS didnt have to deal with the Game Boy Advance.

SNES was sandwhiched between the NES, the N64 and its competition for the generation. It was a rather small period of time. CD's man.