By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: The Ultimate FAQ – North America

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

Ouch! So no external HDD or Flashdrives.

Guess everyone will be upgrading their HDDs.

Around the Network

Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?
No, PS4 does not support audio CDs.

Ouch!!!! I guess the PS4 isn't the all in one entertainment device.

Seems this gen they'll have plenty of room to add things in firmware updates instead of taking them out!

Weird that mp3 support isn't there for launch though, I've bought plenty of soundtracks of psn. I guess it will be patched in soon to support that. I'll be keeping the ps3 around for video anyway. It plays all I want, no need to clutter up the ps4 hdd with videos.

Meanwhile I'll keep on playing my own music like I always do, cd player + amp. No annoying upconvert to 48khz 5.1 crippling 2 channel CD pro-logic surround sound. Game sound can always go over tv speakers if I really need it.

The EURO and US FAQS have been slightly modified concerning MP3 and DLNA -> "We appreciate the feedback and are exploring possibilities".
Shuei Yoshida was serious with his tweets about him reporting those concerns to the PS4 dev team !

ethomaz said:

POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR.

How does PS4’s hardware performance advance beyond the PS3 system?

PS4 is capable of 10x the processing power of the PS3 system. The system features an optimized design featuring a unified 8GB of high-speed GDDR5 RAM, an eight core X86 CPU, and a powerful graphics processor. Generally speaking, PS4 will enable game developers to build larger, more detailed worlds than they could with the PS3 system. More realistic lighting models, more complex physics and particle effects, more varied and realistic character animations, sharper environment and object textures, higher screen resolutions (up to 1080p), higher frame rates (up to 60 frames per second), larger multiplayer matches and more will be possible thanks to PS4’s next-generation hardware.

What can you say about PS4’s graphics processing unit (GPU)?

PS4’s graphics processing unit (GPU) contains a unified array of 18 Compute Units, which collectively generate 1.84 teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or a mixture of the two. PS4 is also equipped with 8 GB of unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable. High-speed GDDR5 is used for this memory, giving the system a total of 176 GB/second of bandwidth and providing a further boost to graphics performance.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku