By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek CEO: Ryse wouldn’t have run at 1080p on PS4 (Decision was choice, not hurdle)

Credit to Wishmaster92 for picking up the article.

Crytek CEO: Ryse wouldn’t have run at 1080p on PS4

Disclaimer: He is not claiming that Ryse (in its current form) would not be possible to run on the PS4 at 1080p. He is merely stating that 900p upscaled was a design choice. More below

-----------------------------------  

According to him, things would have been no different, had the game been in development for the PS4. The decision to go with a native resolution of 900p was purely by choice, and not the result of a technical hurdle. He goes on to imply that there is no meaningful loss in image quality due to it not being rendered at native 1080p. Compromising image quality in favor of visual fidelity via enhanced shaders is, in his view, a more efficient solution.

From Gaf.

Around the Network

Sure sure, I believe you buddy.

But if it wasn't due to a technical hurdle then they could have made it 1080p...

Oh well, I really don't care that much because the game looks so fun (and is pure eye candy!)

Sounds more like an issue of time then one of technical issues.

This just in, low res > than high res...

Around the Network

That's believable games gonna look incredible no matter what though.

I wonder if this might be a pattern this gen. Devs want to do more with the new consoles than just put out games that run at 1080p 60fps. They want more realistic graphics, particle effects, lighting, water, more things happening on screen, bigger environments. With all those ambitions the hardware still won't quite be up to doing all those things and 1080p/60fps. Personally I like that sort of compromise, lower the output but put in more details and realism. Heck I'm pretty happy for games to stay at the current 720p/30fps if it gives us more awesomeness in other visual aspects.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

i have the feeling that the reason why ryse isn't 1080P is that could do it but that would mean the game might miss the launch of the xbox one

"No perceived visual difference."

There it is, kids. This is what makes and will continue to make all of this nitpicking about specs a complete waste of time, energy and emotion. There will likely be many, MANY games that are upscaled from a lower resolution to 1080p this gen instead of running it natively when the artist and graphics designers realize that they can run games better and the visual difference is indistiguishable off-paper.

Again, get used to it, on both the X1 and PS4. And games will be better for it.

I imagine the design choice was to have the frame rate run smoother.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)