By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

It's normal whenever we transition to a new PCI-E version, takes awhile for SSD's to really saturate the bus.. But the first lot of drives tend to run warmer.

Better drives will come later.

The first PCIe 4.0 NVMes already got close to reach 7000 MB/s, almost twice the values of 3.0 drives. With the new 5.0 SSDs the max we get is 10000MB/s and, while the raw increase is roughly the same, the percepcion is that the gains aren't that big.

They'll improve over time, no doubt about it, but for now they have too many drawbacks to attract most consumers. Therefore, prices of current drives won't change much.

Not initially they didn't.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16087/the-samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-ssd-review/7

The PCI-E 4.0 drives were an improvement over PCI-E 3.0, but not a generational improvement like they are now.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

You can buy a PCI-E SATA card if you need more SATA ports... Not ideal, but with many PC Cases not even having a bay for an optical drive and the transition to SSD's, it's a legacy port now.

I thought about that, but for the 30€ or so that can cost, it's easier to just get another motherboard that already has the ports I need.

And yeah, the day I have to replace my case I'll have troubles. The plan would involve getting a NAS box before that happens, but the ones with 4 bays are so damn expensive!

Absolutely.

I have tried to avoid going the NAS route, but I think it's going to have to happen.

Hardest part is trying to get high capacity mechanical drives that don't use Helium for cold storage...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

The first PCIe 4.0 NVMes already got close to reach 7000 MB/s, almost twice the values of 3.0 drives. With the new 5.0 SSDs the max we get is 10000MB/s and, while the raw increase is roughly the same, the percepcion is that the gains aren't that big.

They'll improve over time, no doubt about it, but for now they have too many drawbacks to attract most consumers. Therefore, prices of current drives won't change much.

Not initially they didn't.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16087/the-samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-ssd-review/7

The PCI-E 4.0 drives were an improvement over PCI-E 3.0, but not a generational improvement like they are now.

The Corsair MP600 Pro was also an early PCIe 4.0 drive and was faster than Samsung.

Honestly, I have the sensation that Samsung has dropped the ball with its 4.0 drives. They were the product to beat in the SSD market for many years, but now they're just another one in the mix, with the likes of Kingston or Western Digital offering better products.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

AMD Ultimate Tech Upgrade to replace Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade at LinusTechTips YouTube channel

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ultimate-tech-upgrade-to-replace-intel-extreme-tech-upgrade-at-linustechtips-youtube-channel

Times be changing so to speak. Considering how Intel continues to lose profit year over year, I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see moves like this. I think there may come a point if their fabs don't get its act together where Intel will need to start thinking if they should axe them or not. Cause their own fabs is the main cause of Intels CPU limitations while AMD is technically not as reliant on any fabs but granted we don't really see them move away from TSMC despite Nvidia switching between Samsung and TSMC.

NVIDIA releases DLSS 3.1.0 SDK, comes with optional auto-update feature

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-dlss-3-1-0-sdk-comes-with-optional-auto-update-feature

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Laptop GPU requires 20W more power to achieve RTX 4090 Laptop GPU performance

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-laptop-gpu-requires-20w-more-power-to-achieve-rtx-4090-laptop-gpu-performance

As per usual, some 4080 and I wouldn't doubt if 4070 laptops will be faster than power limited 4090 laptops.

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT Now Available For As Low As $859 US, $40 US Lower Than MSRP

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-now-available-for-as-low-as-859-us-40-us-lower-than-msrp/

I really hope it ends up being like:

4080 $800 USD
7900XTX $750 USD
7900XT $650 USD
4070 Ti $650 USD

But I think at best

4080 $1000
7900XTX $900
7900XT $800
4070 Ti $700

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

As a side note, I will be travelling from February 28th to March 28th so news from me will be limited. Feel free to post tho.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I don't think the end of the partneship with Intel will hurt Linus, especially if AMD steps in to fill the void. I wonder how many will use this opportunity to ask for Threadripper systems.

A month on the road, Yuri? You'll be glad to have a Steam Deck during those travels.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

More like travelling to another country by airplane with family but yea, Steam Deck should come in handy lol

Oh, my! I've just realized that you'll be away on February 28th, when the 7950X3D and 7900X3D will launch.

I hope the reviews go live before that date.

Yea if it goes live on the 27th, I'll cover it. If not, then I'll be on an airplane lul

So much true.

At least the situation has stabilized, and single player games no longer feel that they're in danger of disappearing like it did some years ago.