By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

Meh I don't think it will be that bad. I think Nvidia/AMD/Intel will continue to peruse raw power but either the performance uplift won't be as great as previous generations or the cost of the GPUs will be too expensive. It's kind of like how cars went from simple and cheap to complex and expensive. Plus we have always had some devs that has had shit optimization so that wouldn't be anything new. A brand new honda civic 15 years ago costed like $14k. These days a base honda civic starts at $25k. Hell my 2017 crv got rear ended a couple years back and it didn't look too bad in terms of visual damage but the repair cost was $3500 cause it apparently damaged the side radar. The insurance covered it of course but the point is that modern tech whether it be in computers or cars or whatever is simply getting more and more costly as they continue to add in more and more features.

Plus the funny thing is that in my experience, when there's issues with the image... Because of all the shitty effects the devs put in, it's hard to tell if the issue is caused by DLSS or some shat visual style the devs think is good. I have had a few instances in cyberpunk where something looked off so I turned off DLSS and restarted the game and... It still looked off.

You'll have to forgive my jaded look at it all. it's just that I've seen us come above and beyond over the years, with new medicine, new tech, new methods of transportation, and then I see us somehow take 2 steps backwards and then slightly one step forwards, that it all just gets me asking "why?, why is this our most consistent, negative trait?".

That's the thing about cars though, they have gone from cheap to complicated and expensive, but when are we ever going back to the cheap part?, because to me, not going back to one past pro makes for a bad and consistent negative trait. Like think about it, if the cards keep getting bigger, more power hungry and expensive, then that means we're only left with one pro, some perf gains, but not much else.

Wouldn't it be much better if we as a species, took two steps forward and made the cards smaller, efficient and less power hungry, instead of wasting another 50 years worth of sand to maybe get back to where we once were?. This is why I see Jensen's greed, or any corp greed, getting in the way of progressive tech, because they are happy with keeping their own status quo, means we have to suffer through it, until push comes to shove (and in this industry, we've proven that gamers are absolutely fine being tested time and time again, simply because we allow for it and do not put our foot down firmly and keep it in place at all times).

I do see and agree with the devs tossing in utterly pointless and useless fx into games, because I strongly feel that detracts from the overall IQ and artistic integrity, but on the hardware side, prices going up and up and up is something I'll always contend with, because I know that isn't a market that is evolving/adapting, it's a market that expects it's own customers to adapt to it's own desires, and not the other way around (like it should always be, because without customers, you are not a business, you are worth nothing). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Cyberpunk 2077 HD Reworked Project Texture Mod Announced by Halk Hogan

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-hd-reworked-project-texture-mod-announced-by-halk-hogan/

With Textures that detailed, the vram requirements gonna be big

I now have to question as to whether or not CDPR has hired Halk for this, considering they brought him into the studio to allow him to merge the reworked assets for Witcher 3 Remaster, because this is starting to look like the same song and dance, not that I'm complaining, I do think CDPR should hire the guy, because he's a pretty dedicated fan that spends yrs working on texture improvements across the board.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Cyberpunk 2077 HD Reworked Project Texture Mod Announced by Halk Hogan

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-hd-reworked-project-texture-mod-announced-by-halk-hogan/

With Textures that detailed, the vram requirements gonna be big

I now have to question as to whether or not CDPR has hired Halk for this, considering they brought him into the studio to allow him to merge the reworked assets for Witcher 3 Remaster, because this is starting to look like the same song and dance, not that I'm complaining, I do think CDPR should hire the guy, because he's a pretty dedicated fan that spends yrs working on texture improvements across the board.

Im pretty sure if they was paying him he would of said it. His work is great and CDPR should hire him but maybe he wants to work on whatever he feels like.

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Meh I don't think it will be that bad. I think Nvidia/AMD/Intel will continue to peruse raw power but either the performance uplift won't be as great as previous generations or the cost of the GPUs will be too expensive. It's kind of like how cars went from simple and cheap to complex and expensive. Plus we have always had some devs that has had shit optimization so that wouldn't be anything new. A brand new honda civic 15 years ago costed like $14k. These days a base honda civic starts at $25k. Hell my 2017 crv got rear ended a couple years back and it didn't look too bad in terms of visual damage but the repair cost was $3500 cause it apparently damaged the side radar. The insurance covered it of course but the point is that modern tech whether it be in computers or cars or whatever is simply getting more and more costly as they continue to add in more and more features.

Plus the funny thing is that in my experience, when there's issues with the image... Because of all the shitty effects the devs put in, it's hard to tell if the issue is caused by DLSS or some shat visual style the devs think is good. I have had a few instances in cyberpunk where something looked off so I turned off DLSS and restarted the game and... It still looked off.

You'll have to forgive my jaded look at it all. it's just that I've seen us come above and beyond over the years, with new medicine, new tech, new methods of transportation, and then I see us somehow take 2 steps backwards and then slightly one step forwards, that it all just gets me asking "why?, why is this our most consistent, negative trait?".

That's the thing about cars though, they have gone from cheap to complicated and expensive, but when are we ever going back to the cheap part?, because to me, not going back to one past pro makes for a bad and consistent negative trait. Like think about it, if the cards keep getting bigger, more power hungry and expensive, then that means we're only left with one pro, some perf gains, but not much else.

Wouldn't it be much better if we as a species, took two steps forward and made the cards smaller, efficient and less power hungry, instead of wasting another 50 years worth of sand to maybe get back to where we once were?. This is why I see Jensen's greed, or any corp greed, getting in the way of progressive tech, because they are happy with keeping their own status quo, means we have to suffer through it, until push comes to shove (and in this industry, we've proven that gamers are absolutely fine being tested time and time again, simply because we allow for it and do not put our foot down firmly and keep it in place at all times).

I do see and agree with the devs tossing in utterly pointless and useless fx into games, because I strongly feel that detracts from the overall IQ and artistic integrity, but on the hardware side, prices going up and up and up is something I'll always contend with, because I know that isn't a market that is evolving/adapting, it's a market that expects it's own customers to adapt to it's own desires, and not the other way around (like it should always be, because without customers, you are not a business, you are worth nothing). 

I don't think we will ever be going back to the cheap ways because not only are the GPU manufacturers like Nvidia are greedy but so is everyone else along with inflation. Lets say Nvidia wants to make a cheap GPU. Not only would they need to eat the cost of it being cheap so less margins but they would also need to eat the cost throughout the chain such as the increased wafer costs from TSMC, increased materials cost along with the ever increasing cost of vram. And if Nvidia does decide to eat the cost, then the share holders will not be happy and will replace Jensen with someone that's more greedy. It's basically a shitty circle of life where the only time we get cheap products is in rare circumstances like with Intel who own their own fabs so they can afford to sell an 14 core i5 (6P 8E) for $329 or with their A770/A750 cause they are trying to break into the GPU market. But then you see their financial results and non are too happy.

Not to say I am trying to justify Lovelace pricing because the prices have been horrid but I doubt the price creep will reverse in direction without some big revolution in the gpu space.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

I don't think we will ever be going back to the cheap ways because not only are the GPU manufacturers like Nvidia are greedy but so is everyone else along with inflation. Lets say Nvidia wants to make a cheap GPU. Not only would they need to eat the cost of it being cheap so less margins but they would also need to eat the cost throughout the chain such as the increased wafer costs from TSMC, increased materials cost along with the ever increasing cost of vram. And if Nvidia does decide to eat the cost, then the share holders will not be happy and will replace Jensen with someone that's more greedy. It's basically a shitty circle of life where the only time we get cheap products is in rare circumstances like with Intel who own their own fabs so they can afford to sell an 14 core i5 (6P 8E) for $329 or with their A770/A750 cause they are trying to break into the GPU market. But then you see their financial results and non are too happy.

Not to say I am trying to justify Lovelace pricing because the prices have been horrid but I doubt the price creep will reverse in direction without some big revolution in the gpu space.

The core problem with us not going lower in price over time, is that the product we want eventually in our lifetime becomes totally unaffordable, like cars will eventually reach that finite point, and then folks en-masse are gonna want to take the train instead.

If Nvidia just keeps going and going, eventually there really will only be the 1% of the market left that can afford their products, and I guess by then that would also give them an excuse to throw their hands up and go "useless market can't afford our shit, time to pack up boys". I feel like jensen and a myriad of other company CEO's really do not understand how world economics works, because if everything goes up, no one can afford anything, which means they go broke sooner or later, and the cycle will enforce a repeat all over again (it's completely unavoidable for a single company in at least 2 centuries, Nintendo is the one exception, with M&S being a close second in the retail market to go this long and not go broke for keeping the prices up).

Really this just tails all the way back to shareholders being a bigger long-term problem, because for the longest time they have always been there, albeit in the shadows, but today they are more up-front and in line akin to customers, only they have way more power than us, and ofc I'm going to cite that as a problem, because they don't care about the product, they just care about return on investment only.

Someone, somewhere is gonna have to give eventually, because there is only so much customers will put up with before they leave said market and go somewhere else. I don't see Nvidia getting that lucky Nintendo ticket and keeping this up for another 100 years (jensen will also be long dead before then and someone else will have to adjust course).

Around the Network

The Monday news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

Steam's Top 10

GOG has two new Deals of the Day and three new sales:

Steam has two new deals:

There's a new Humble Bundle: the Sim-Ple Life Bundle, with 9 games to get during 11 days: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/simple-life.

And Fanatical has several new deals:

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

-Empty-

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

The Witcher 3 Characters Reworked Project is available for download
https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/the-witcher-3-characters-reworked-project-is-available-for-download/
Modder ‘cnfilmm’ has released the Characters Reworked Project for The Witcher 3 that overhauls over 60 male characters. Do note that this mod is not from the creator of The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project. However, these two projects should be compatible with each other.
Going into more details, The Witcher 3 Characters Reworked Project adds 4K textures to the male characters. Furthermore, it adds more details, improves maps, and offers better complexions.
>> There are some screenshots and other mods for the Next Gen version of the game, but what isn't in the article is the link to this characters mod.

Dino Crisis 2 Rex-HD Project Preview Pack available for download
https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/dino-crisis-2-rex-hd-project-preview-pack-available-for-download/
SolidFireGaming has just released a preview version of the HD Texture Pack for Dino Crisis 2. This HD Texture project, called Dino Crisis 2 Rex-HD Project, aims to overhaul the pre-rendered backgrounds.
In order to showcase the improvements that this mod brings to the table, SolidFireGaming the following comparison video. And, as you can see, this pack can significantly improve the game’s backgrounds. Moreover, it retains the art style of the original backgrounds (so my guess is that the modder used AI techniques in order to upscale the original textures).
>> The video is barely 2 minutes long, and the improvements are ridiculously big.

Fully voiced DLC-sized Fallout 4 mod adds 50 quests and a new ending
https://www.pcgamer.com/fully-voiced-dlc-sized-fallout-4-mod-adds-50-quests-and-a-new-ending/
Back in 2019, modder MunkySpunk uploaded The Bleachers, a Fallout 4 mod that added a new district to Diamond City, beneath the bleacher seats of Fenway Park stadium. It was well-received, becoming "mod of the month" for October on Nexus Mods, and MunkySpunk's been working on an expanded version ever since.
Two-and-a-bit years later, The Fens Sheriff's Department has arrived. Building on The Bleachers, it plonks a significantly enlarged new area under the stadium's bleachers, with "two residential districts, a commercial district, two restaurants, and The Fens Sheriff's Department, populated by 15 uniquely named and voiced NPCs."

GAMING NEWS

New The Lords of the Fallen 4K screenshots show what Unreal Engine 5 may be capable of
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/new-the-lords-of-the-fallen-4k-screenshots-show-what-unreal-engine-5-may-be-capable-of/
CI Games has released a new set of beautiful 4K screenshots for The Lords of the Fallen. The Lords of the Fallen will be powered by Unreal Engine 5, and these screenshots may give us a glimpse at what the engine is capable of.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty PC demo to be released on February 24th
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/wo-long-fallen-dynasty-pc-demo-to-be-released-on-february-24th/
Now here is a pleasant surprise. KOEI Tecmo has just announced that a PC demo for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty will be available on February 24th.

Rumor: Early gameplay footage and screenshots for Dragon Age: Dreadwolf
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/rumor-early-gameplay-footage-and-screenshots-for-dragon-age-dreadwolf/
It appears that some early gameplay footage and screenshots for Dragon Age 4, Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, have been leaked online. These screenshots are reportedly from an alpha build, meaning that they obviously do not represent the quality of the final product.
>> TallSilhouette made a thread about this yesterday.

Tekken 8 gets a 35-minute trailer, focusing on its gameplay mechanics
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/tekken-8-gets-a-35-minute-trailer-focusing-on-its-gameplay-mechanics/
Bandai Namco has released a new trailer for Tekken 8 in which Katsuhiro Harada and Kohei Ikeda talk about the game’s combat mechanics.

Resident Evil 4 Remake gets lots of new screenshots & 12-minute gameplay video
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/resident-evil-4-remake-gets-lots-of-new-screenshots-12-minute-gameplay-video/
GameInformer has released lots of new screenshots and a 12-minute gameplay video for Resident Evil 4 Remake. The gameplay video shows off a sequence from Chapter 5, in which Leon Kennedy and Ashley escape from the Church.
>> Hiku made a thread about this during the weekend.

The Last of Us Part I PC Remake has been delayed until March 28th
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-last-of-us-part-i-pc-remake-has-been-delayed-until-march-28th/
Naughty Dog has announced that the PC version of The Last of Us Part I Remake has been delayed until March 28th. According to the team, this delay will give it enough time to further polish the game. And, after what happened with the Uncharted PC collection, will really hope that Naughty Dog will deliver a better PC product.

NVIDIA RTX 4090 runs Hogwarts Legacy with over 100fps at 4K DLSS 3 Quality with Max Settings & Full Ray Tracing
https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/nvidia-rtx4090-hogwarts-legacy-100fps-4k-dlss-3-quality-max-settings-full-ray-tracing/
Warner Bros has provided us with a review code for Hogwarts Legacy. Thus, and since Warner Bros has not showcased the game’s PC version, we’ve decided to share the ten first minutes from it. We’ve also enabled the game’s Ray Tracing effects, and compared native 4K resolution with DLSS 3 Quality.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

This is the second part of the Monday news:

Dwarf Fortress' next update grants even more ways to torment your minions
https://www.pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-next-update-grants-even-more-ways-to-torment-your-minions/
Dwarf Fortress will soon provide another way to mistreat your hapless peons. The upcoming arena mode will give you an open playground to experiment with the game's NPCs, letting you place down different creatures, select their skills and equipment, and sic them on one another for your own twisted amusement. You'll be able to sort your combatants into teams, give them special characteristics (like "necromancer," for example), and even mess with the weather or place down hindrances like snow and mud.

This military base-building sim has all of the soldiers and none of the violence
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-military-base-building-sim-has-all-of-the-soldiers-and-none-of-the-violence/
If you're a fan of building and management games like Two Point Hospital, maybe I can interest you in a sim featuring the types of characters who put people in the hospital.
I'm talking about soldiers. One Military Camp is a base-building and management game where you're in charge of a—well, you can probably guess from the name. Recruit new soldiers, train them into different specialties like comms operations, artillery, explosives, medics and infantry, and even upgrade them into elite operatives like spies, pilots, and tank drivers.

EA's Monster Hunter-like has no plans for microtransactions, all post-launch content will be free
https://www.pcgamer.com/eas-monster-hunter-like-has-no-plans-for-microtransactions-all-post-launch-content-will-be-free/
In a Reddit Ask Me Anything this week, the developers of Wild Hearts stated that they already have plans for post-launch updates, and they'll all be free.
"All post launch contents will be free, including new Kemono and more! We don't have any plans to feature MTX," they answered in one of the AMA's most-asked questions.

This upcoming FPS has a website that's a sick throwback to '90s game ads
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-upcoming-fps-has-a-website-thats-a-sick-throwback-to-90s-game-ads/
Fortune's Run is shaping up to be something special: a retro FPS blending immersive sim depth with pure boomer shooter speed, some of the best swordplay I've seen in a game, and a gloriously grungy '90s sci-fi setting. But those aren't the only lost arts Team Fortune is reviving: the two-person team just unveiled an absolutely sick new website.

The world's biggest plane, destroyed in Ukraine, will fly again in Microsoft Flight Simulator
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-worlds-biggest-plane-destroyed-in-ukraine-will-fly-again-in-microsoft-flight-simulator/
The Antonov An-225 "Mriya," built in 1985, was the world's biggest plane before it was destroyed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Antonov was a Soviet company, you see, but it's based in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, and when Ukraine gained its independence in 1991, Antonov went with it.
(...)
So it's happy news that the big bird will soon be coming back—digitally—in Microsoft Flight Simulator. The An-225 has previously been flyable in Flight Sim through third-party mods, but this version will arise from an official licensing deal between Microsoft, Antonov, and sim developer IniBuilds. An-225 captain Dmytro Antonov is also involved in the creation of the plane, to ensure maximum possible accuracy.

Become a Malkavian PI in pursuit of a serial killer in this Vampire Jam 2022 winner
https://www.pcgamer.com/become-a-malkavian-pi-in-pursuit-of-a-serial-killer-in-this-vampire-jam-2022-winner/
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 may be just a distant, fading dream, but that doesn't mean we have to live our lives deprived of undead fun. World of Darkness has announced the winners of the 2022 Vampire: The Masquerade game jam, a competition between 28 games ranging from RPGs to dating sims, and you can play them all for free.

Sons of the Forest will launch in Early Access to avoid another delay
https://www.pcgamer.com/sons-of-the-forest-will-launch-in-early-access-to-avoid-another-delay/
The sequel to The Forest, the game that put the Survival in Survival Horror will still release on February 23rd, 2023, but it won't be the finished game, says developer Endnight Games. Sons of the Forest will instead release into Early Access—not because the developers prefer it that way, but to avoid another major release date delay.

Explore a vast industrial hulk with your trusty climbing axes in this eerie first person platformer
https://www.pcgamer.com/explore-a-vast-industrial-hulk-with-your-trusty-climbing-axes-in-this-eerie-first-person-platformer/
Lorn's Lure, an upcoming indie from solo developer Rubeki, instantly hooked me with its free demo on Steam. This first person plstformer has you playing an android exploring the vast, industrial ruins of a lost civilization, pursuing some manner of biblically accurate angel-come-glitch in reality through the impossibly ancient rusted hulk.
>> The demo is still available.

Evil Dead: The Game gets a new 'Splatter Royale' mode
https://www.pcgamer.com/evil-dead-the-game-gets-a-new-splatter-royale-mode/
As of its last update, multiplayer horror game Evil Dead has a new mode that's not quite battle royale, but instead is being called "Splatter Royale". Up to 40 players fight to be the last deadite standing, choosing from uglied-up deadite versions of the game's existing Survivor and Demon characters.

Activision Blizzard will pay a $35M fine to the SEC
https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-blizzard-will-pay-a-dollar35m-fine-to-the-sec/
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's investigation into Activision Blizzard has ended with a $35 million payment to the SEC to settle charges that Activision Blizzard violated government rules for the protection of whistleblowers and for failure to disclose information to investors. The settlement's terms state that it is neither an admission of guilt, nor a denial, by Activision Blizzard.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

And this is the third, and last, part of the Monday news (PCGamer had a lot of articles):

This adorable, Wind Waker-inspired platformer casts you as a friendly delivery witch
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-adorable-wind-waker-inspired-platformer-casts-you-as-a-friendly-delivery-witch/
Mika and the Witch's Mountain has an immediately arresting look, an aesthetic and premise practically lab-grown to immediately pierce your average millennial's lizard brain nostalgia cortex. It's Wind Waker and Kiki's Delivery Service, together at least to melt your heart in 3D platformer form.

First ever Grammy award for videogame score goes to AC Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok composer
https://www.pcgamer.com/first-ever-grammy-award-for-videogame-score-goes-to-ac-valhalla-dawn-of-ragnarok-composer/
The Grammy awards, considered among the most prestigious music awards in the world, have inaugurated a new category dedicated solely to games. The inaugural award in "Best Score Soundtrack for Video Games and Other Interactive Media" was presented today, and went to Stephanie Economou, the composer behind the soundtrack for Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok.

FromSoftware drops a lengthy new interview about Armored Core 6
https://www.pcgamer.com/fromsoftware-drops-a-lengthy-new-interview-about-armored-core-6/
Elden Ring makers FromSoftware have given out some new details about the next entry in their mech combat series, Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon. In an interview broadcast from Taipei Games Show 2023, game producer Yasunori Ogura spoke with a host about the game and spoke not only about the game but about how massive successes like the Dark Souls series and Elden Ring have affected development at the now-quite-famous FromSoftware.

This turn-based deconstruction of the fighting game is blowing minds
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-turn-based-deconstruction-of-the-fighting-game-is-blowing-minds/
A quiet corner of the Fighting games scene is blowing up thanks to the release of Your Only Move Is Hustle. YOMIH, as adherents call it, is an indie that viciously strips the Fighting genre apart and puts it back together in a turn-based format that still has all the hallmarks and features you'd expect.

The Day Before trainwreck continues with accusations it's copied other game trailers
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-day-before-trainwreck-continues-with-accusations-its-copied-other-game-trailers/
After a bizarre series of twists and turns, we finally got a full-fledged gameplay trailer from The Day Before last week, and it looked, well, pretty generic. More than generic, in fact, it felt familiar, and Twitter sleuths reckon they've figured out why: They're accusing the game of copying many of its trailer shots and other marketing materials from completely different games.

Hogwarts Legacy review roundup: 'the Harry Potter RPG I’ve always wanted to play'
https://www.pcgamer.com/hogwarts-legacy-review-roundup-the-harry-potter-rpg-ive-always-wanted-to-play/
The Hogwarts Legacy review embargo has lifted, and it turns out a lot of people like being an open-world wizard. The game has been in development for many years at Avalanche and is Warner Bros' big attempt to establish the Harry Potter gaming universe. Fans have previously had the movie tie-in games, but this is entirely its own thing and distinct from the ongoing film franchise.

One of our favourite space shooters leaves early access next month
https://www.pcgamer.com/one-of-our-favourite-space-shooters-leaves-early-access-next-month/
Very pretty space shooter Everspace 2 has finally got a release date. After two years of early access tinkering, the game PCG's Steven Messner once said was "close to being the new gold standard for space shooters" will come out exactly a month from now, on April 6.

John Carmack goes off about online-only games being abandoned: 'I believe in saving everything'
https://www.pcgamer.com/john-carmack-goes-off-about-online-only-games-being-abandoned-i-believe-in-saving-everything/
Last week Meta announced that, as well as losing four billion dollars on the metaverse in the last quarter, it would be shutting down Echo VR. This zero-gravity sports title was one of the early VR successes for the then-Oculus, first on Rift and later on the Quest headset, to the extent Meta acquired the developer behind it, Ready at Dawn, in 2020.
The announcement of Echo VR's closure (it's still live but will shutdown on August 1, 2023) has caused some consternation among fans of VR generally, simply because this is one of the standout experiences and soon will be no more. It feels especially unusual to see it happening to a six year-old game that, relatively speaking, has found an audience. But such is the way of the world at Meta, with CTO Andrew Bosworth saying "those resources could be put to other uses that I think will be useful to the now tens of millions of people who are in VR."
Interestingly enough Bosworth also said John Carmack, who's now left Meta, "would not have shut down Echo VR." And how. Carmack has sent a lengthy statement to UploadVR about Echo VR's closure, and does not sound at all impressed.

First consumer PCIe Gen5 NVMe SSD has a really loud fan

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-consumer-pcie-gen5-nvme-ssd-has-a-really-loud-fan

Intel Core i5-13490F and i7-13790F processors are now available in China

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i5-13490f-and-i7-13790f-processors-are-now-available-in-china

Intel 14th Gen Meteor Lake CPUs Reportedly Target Over 50% Performance Per Watt Gain Over 13th Gen Raptor Lake

https://wccftech.com/intel-14th-gen-meteor-lake-cpus-target-over-50-percent-performance-per-watt-gain-over-13th-gen-raptor-lake/

Intel Xeon W7-3455 Sapphire Rapids Workstation 24-Core CPU Tested, Slower Than 24-Core Threadripper 5965WX

https://wccftech.com/intel-xeon-w7-3455-sapphire-rapids-workstation-24-core-cpu-tested-slower-than-threadripper-5965wx/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:

NVIDIA RTX 4090 runs Hogwarts Legacy with over 100fps at 4K DLSS 3 Quality with Max Settings & Full Ray Tracing
https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/nvidia-rtx4090-hogwarts-legacy-100fps-4k-dlss-3-quality-max-settings-full-ray-tracing/
Warner Bros has provided us with a review code for Hogwarts Legacy. Thus, and since Warner Bros has not showcased the game’s PC version, we’ve decided to share the ten first minutes from it. We’ve also enabled the game’s Ray Tracing effects, and compared native 4K resolution with DLSS 3 Quality.

The biggest news is:

Looks like I'll be keeping my greenmangaming preorder which has a discount.